Covid-19

Dáire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Dáire »

I wonder why he thinks his excuse of "we had symptoms so I dropped my child off at my elderly parents'" is a reasonable one. In a perfect world tomorrow's papers would be all "Deadbeat Dom Tries To Euthanise Own Parents!"
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

He's not part of the government, he won't be held accountable.
smalex

Post by smalex »

His excuse makes me so furious. 'Needed childcare help'. Because the rest of us couldn't have used a bit of childcare this last few months :verm:.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

DC is such a fucking loathsome, vile piece of shit. Just a glimpse of his psychotic, ratty little face makes me seethe. :rational:

This, from a BBC article by Fergus Walsh, is a bit clearer on the "accuracy" element of the Roche and Abbott tests. So, false negatives much more likely:
With coronavirus, you want to ensure an antibody test is highly specific so that you don't get any false positives. This could be dangerous, as it would mean some people are told they have antibodies when they don't. They might be lulled into a false sense of security, take fewer precautions to guard against infection.

Both the Roche and Abbott tests are highly specific, with near 100% accuracy. This is very reassuring. Then we come to sensitivity. This is the likelihood of a test giving a false negative. The PHE evaluation showed the Roche test to be 87% sensitive with samples taken 21 days after symptom onset while the Abbott test was 93%. This means that some people who definitely had antibodies to coronavirus may get "false negative" results. This is less important, but it is nonetheless an error.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52762939
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

What you really want is high sensitivity AND specificity. I have a slide that explains this when I teach critical reading of medical papers. It’s a really hard concept to get straight in a lot of people’s minds.

SpPIN: a positive result on a specific test rules in the disease.
SnNOUT: a negative result on a sensitive test rules out the disease.

It’s all to do with cut offs and receiver operating curves. There will be a risk of false positives and negatives and it’s about minimising those.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

It's a really important distinction if we get to a point of wide distribution of home antibody testing kits, and yet this is the first I've read about it in the general press (no surprises there!).
viggy

Post by viggy »

smalex wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 am His excuse makes me so furious. 'Needed childcare help'. Because the rest of us couldn't have used a bit of childcare this last few months :verm:.
Fucking hell, I didn't even rope my parents in to help when I was ill and solo parenting, and they live four doors down. I try very hard not to judge people's actions during all this, but what a selfish cunt.
smalex

Post by smalex »

viggy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am
smalex wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 am His excuse makes me so furious. 'Needed childcare help'. Because the rest of us couldn't have used a bit of childcare this last few months :verm:.
Fucking hell, I didn't even rope my parents in to help when I was ill and solo parenting, and they live four doors down. I try very hard not to judge people's actions during all this, but what a selfish cunt.
I thought of you first, Vigs. It's such a kick in the teeth to parents, particularly those who've been ill.

Also, if you're that ill you can't care for your own children, but you're not so ill you can't think of putting them in the car and driving 400miles? In 9 years of parenting, I've never been in a situation where both those things could be true.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

smalex wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am Also, if you're that ill you can't care for your own children, but you're not so ill you can't think of putting them in the car and driving 400miles? In 9 years of parenting, I've never been in a situation where both those things could be true.
Exactly. What a dick. I've had flu once and could imagine parenting being near impossible but any kind of a drive would be even more so.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am
smalex wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am Also, if you're that ill you can't care for your own children, but you're not so ill you can't think of putting them in the car and driving 400miles? In 9 years of parenting, I've never been in a situation where both those things could be true.
Exactly. What a dick. I've had flu once and could imagine parenting being near impossible but any kind of a drive would be even more so.
And-fucking-lutely. If I'd been well enough to drive I could have driven BM over to her Dad's, but I wasn't well enough to drive for the 40 minute round trip, never mind driving 400 miles.
viggy

Post by viggy »

And if they drove just as they were starting to get symptoms? What kind of mind thinks "We might get ill enough to need help with the kid... With an illness that predominantly wipes out the elderly... Best take this virus 400 miles to spread it to my elderly parents".

God knows I lean on my parents more than most, but there comes a time when you need to put your big boy pants on and deal with your own shit to protect them a bit.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Its also a huge kick in the teeth to all those families who couldn't sit with their loved ones as they died, or had to watch funerals online. Its utterly disgusting.

Also, don't they have one child? And there's two of them? Stick her in front of the telly like everyone else would!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I think that's basically an excuse crowbarred to try and fit the guidance. I imagine they just thought that the rules did not apply to them. Like the scientist and the Scottish woman. It will be astounding if he doesn't get the boot. But I don't think he will. Knowing the media here in the UK do they really not think they will be found out though?
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

sally maclennane wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:34 am Its also a huge kick in the teeth to all those families who couldn't sit with their loved ones as they died, or had to watch funerals online. Its utterly disgusting.

Also, don't they have one child? And there's two of them? Stick her in front of the telly like everyone else would!
apparently they were both ill with it. There simply isn't any justifiable excuse.

And yes. Absolutely. Completely insulting.
sally maclennane

His bloody wife wrote an article about how they managed to look after kids while they had it (one after the other i think, not at the same time) and no mention of this "help" so they knew full well what they did was wrong.

I don't usually buy the stuff about Laura Kuensberg being a Tory stooge ( I often think its sexism) but she really hasn't come out of this well, jumping to his defence so quickly.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I'm absolutely raging. I don't know why this has hit me so hard, I expect nothing of these tossers. But the fucking nerve of the man.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

smalex wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 pm My sisters husbands friend works for Reu...teurs (not sure what that brings to the story but I'll relay it as I was told it :lol: ) and lives a few doors from DC in London, says hes had groups of people coming and going the whole time.
Apparently his neighbours have been messaging journalists about this for weeks. :woteva:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:56 am I'm absolutely raging. I don't know why this has hit me so hard, I expect nothing of these tossers. But the fucking nerve of the man.
Same. I haven't been this angry in months.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm genuinely fucking furious!
sally maclennane

I had to stop reading Twitter. The front of these cunts (Gove, Raab etc) defending him and telling us we have no right to criticise - as someone said, it's gaslighting by government.