Woo

ParisGal

Re: Woo

Post by ParisGal »

I really don't get the Big Pharma argument when it's coming from people trying to sell stuff! Someone who isn't me is making money!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You were ridiculing digs just then.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I suppose I was, I was responding tongue in cheek to a comment in a way which I didn’t really think through properly. I apologise.
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’m neither desperate or gullible. I know what works for my body. And I don’t impose it on anyone else.
indigo

Post by indigo »

You are (obviously) entitled to your opinion but there are ways of saying things. Thanks for your apology.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've had acupuncture and hypnotherapy. Both woo in my eyes.

OH REIKI! What kind of woo is that. Some bloke hovered his hand over the shoulders for 30 mins once. Made me feel uncomfortable. How the fuck can that work?
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

An old friend* qualified as a Reiki Master many years ago, and told me he'd heal my bad back remotely, even though he lived 20 miles away :woteva:

*An accountant. Wtf??
Luna

Post by Luna »

I’m fully on board that remote reiki is a pile of doo. I’ve had other types of healing stuff, some felt like they did something and some nada. There used to be this crazy lady at the local farmers market who sold all sorts of potions and odd tea powders etc and she grabbed me as I walked past and told me I had healing hands and made me out then on this random women’s knee. I don’t know who was more embarrassed, me or her. I stayed there for a few minutes and then awkwardly walked away :lol:
Luna

Post by Luna »

And then there was the woman at a one of theses therapy taster mornings who did Bowen technique which consisted of me basically lying on a couch whilst she walked around it looking me and disappearing intermittently.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:19 pm An old friend* qualified as a Reiki Master many years ago, and told me he'd heal my bad back remotely, even though he lived 20 miles away :woteva:

*An accountant. Wtf??
Honestly! This sort of thing really makes the mind boggle. I asked on here a while ago about water diviners. It's a proper job (here at least), people come out and wave sticks around and say "ooh yes, I can feel there's water about 20 feet down here." And a lot of them reckon they can "divine" on a map with their sticks. Now, obviously experience (and a lot of map data!!!) must mean someone can predict a bit, but why go on with the stick business all the time?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I think a lot of those types of therapies 'work' because it's beneficial to focus on your own well being, whatever method you use.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

There was a water diviner in our village. Those rods were a bit weird - I saw him use them and they do all this trembly stuff. I had faith in them. He also moved a black river which was in my friend's bedroom; it ran right through her bed and gave her bed dreams. New people have moved in now and I want to find out if they ever experienced the black river but I don't dare ask them.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Luna wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:27 pm And then there was the woman at a one of theses therapy taster mornings who did Bowen technique which consisted of me basically lying on a couch whilst she walked around it looking me and disappearing intermittently.
:lol: That will be £50 pounds please.
Malan
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I think it's all rubbish. :perky: I also worry about vulnerable, scared people being taken advantage of.

On the other hand, I'm a huge believer in the placebo effect so if you can afford it and it makes you feel better then crack on.

I had reiki once, it was amazing, I still don't think it's an actual thing though. I think I just enjoyed and benefited from one on one attention and relaxing for an hour, so placebo effect essentially.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:27 pm
Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:19 pm An old friend* qualified as a Reiki Master many years ago, and told me he'd heal my bad back remotely, even though he lived 20 miles away :woteva:

*An accountant. Wtf??
Honestly! This sort of thing really makes the mind boggle. I asked on here a while ago about water diviners. It's a proper job (here at least), people come out and wave sticks around and say "ooh yes, I can feel there's water about 20 feet down here." And a lot of them reckon they can "divine" on a map with their sticks. Now, obviously experience (and a lot of map data!!!) must mean someone can predict a bit, but why go on with the stick business all the time?
I don’t believe in it at all, but my brother, who is an archaeologist, recently admitted in a rather embarrassed way that he doesn’t believe in it either, but he does it now and then as part of his job, and it works :)).
Luna

Post by Luna »

I think I paid her a tenner and felt ripped off at that. 😂
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:46 pm
ParisGal wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:27 pm

*An accountant. Wtf??
I don’t believe in it at all, but my brother, who is an archaeologist, recently admitted in a rather embarrassed way that he doesn’t believe in it either, but he does it now and then as part of his job, and it works :)).
Thing is, unless you're on a mountain or something, if you drill down far enough you're pretty much guaranteed to hit water - I watched a couple of videos

:toot: :toot: "Yes, it's at 20m"

/drilling goes on/
/hit water table at 40m/

:toot: :toot: "Ah yes, the result must have been influenced by the neighbours' pool"
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Hah. I don’t think he’s ever had to drill into an aquifer to prove a point, but yeah :)).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I've only seen it specifically where people need to get to an underground source of water. Fortunately the drillers apparently usually give you a set price to reach water and they make bank if it turns out to be only 10m underground.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

We had a water diviner over to identify the location of underground springs before we started work on the house. He identified half a dozen or so spots. He marked them on the map of the land. We didn't drill as we weren't looking to use the water, we wanted to avoid it. We just had to believe he was right.
We had been told by an elderly local man that our land was sitting on a lot of water, whereas all the farmers complained that it was "dry". The local man based his theory on the name of the dell where the land is which could be a variation of "se néguer" in provençal dialect, which means "se noyer" = to drown.

A few years ago one of the identified undergroung springs "erupted" and we had a geiser in the middle of a field until we managed to dig and sort out a pipe system to drain the water into a small reservoir. So far 2 more of the springs have surfaced (not as violently as the geiser one).

So, woo or not, I'm glad we didn't build the house or the barn on one of those spots.