Covid-19

nineseven

Re: Corona Virus

Post by nineseven »

:lol: If you could do it with a small child in the car I hear it can help.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Well then that is definitely allowed.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I would imagine there are enough shit heads in the city to travel out of where the closures are to get pissed at the weekend.

This is interesting to me at least, and resonates a fair bit with how I feel about things at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... SApp_Other
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Hancock is a complete tool. The timing of his announcement was utterly dreadful and he still can’t fully explain what he meant about children being impacted. They can’t get the message right.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Have they shown any of the evidence they've based this on, either publicly or within circles you might know about, Pip? It sounds like you're not aware of an issue with children? I assume that was what he was implying but if there's a surge in sick kids when that hasn't been a thing, they really should be being transparent about that. Well, and everything, but that horse bolted a long time ago.

Shielders have been treated disgracefully, and Jenny Harries and her "stop being afraid" speech was abhorrent. Without clear evidence that the risk at this point is low enough, that just read as "we don't want to give you any more food/money and don't much care if you die anyway, now off you pop. Be free! Whoops."
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Catching up now - but he is still being ridiculously vague, and without evidence/data it leads to questions about schools in general being safe surely and just generates more questions than answers. And they still haven't announced where the borders of the lockdown are, even to the bloody Mayor? They're just making this up as they go along again aren't they. Even though there were whispers about this happening for days so it's hardly sudden for them.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

There’s been a surge in positive tests (including children), but they don’t seem to have hit the hospital yet. Whether or not they will, remains to be seen. It could be that they’re testing more in that area?
Luce

Post by Luce »

Data wise there seems to be an increasing trend that new infection rates are still holding steady/decreasing slowly but that deaths and hospital admissions are going down faster, suggesting its becoming milder/diluted with the more people it gets.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Or that it's the same as what's happening in the US, that it's spreading more among younger/less vulnerable people who have a lower rate of hospitalisation, as the more vulnerable remain more cautious and shielded.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

We have just been told that we're opening up again in August :bob: All very provisional and phased but looking likely! I'm partly excited but also very nervous!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luce

Post by Luce »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm Or that it's the same as what's happening in the US, that it's spreading more among younger/less vulnerable people who have a lower rate of hospitalisation, as the more vulnerable remain more cautious and shielded.
Which in theory I'm absolutely fine with if it means feeling shit then fighting it off. Less cool considering no one seems to know the long-term damage it can cause even if it only feels like nothing worse than a bad cough for the lucky few who get away with it mildly.

Matt Hancock caused a massive kerfuffle here because he kept accidentally saying Keighley (I live in the Keighley constituency) instead of Kirklees. Cue mass panic on the local FB pages about everything being shut down but not having been told about it. Because that is actually a plausible thing that could happen these days, I fully understand the panic.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

He’s an actual idiot and seems not to be able to communicate clearly, which doesn’t help matters.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm Matt Hancock caused a massive kerfuffle here because he kept accidentally saying Keighley (I live in the Keighley constituency) instead of Kirklees. Cue mass panic on the local FB pages about everything being shut down but not having been told about it. Because that is actually a plausible thing that could happen these days, I fully understand the panic.
Was that an accident? I thought there had been an outbreak in Keighley. :lol: It's a chicken factory in Cleckheaton.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Luce wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm
Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm Or that it's the same as what's happening in the US, that it's spreading more among younger/less vulnerable people who have a lower rate of hospitalisation, as the more vulnerable remain more cautious and shielded.
Which in theory I'm absolutely fine with if it means feeling shit then fighting it off. Less cool considering no one seems to know the long-term damage it can cause even if it only feels like nothing worse than a bad cough for the lucky few who get away with it mildly.
Not so great a context for forcing the shielding back to work.

I don't know if this even is what's happening (and can't be bothered to check the data :)) ), but if it is, it's herd immunity in effect, whether by accident or design.

Didn't the Cleckheaton meat factory thing happen a week or so ago? Is it another one or are they just thinking to mention it openly now?
Disco

Post by Disco »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 pm but if it is, it's herd immunity in effect, whether by accident or design.
I've said this time and time again - not necessarily here but to anyone that will listen - now we've learnt to social distance and NHS capacity is high they are not so gradually releasing groups of us so herd immunity might arise. They know there might not be a vaccine ever, or that it is very likely to take a year or so to find, so they gave us vagueness so those who chose to interpret that as you can go to the beach etc would go forth and get the virus, then another wave of individuals must go back to work to cram onto pulbic transport - let them get it, now everyone that wants to go to a pub let them get it and so on.

That was one of the first things out of Patrick Vallance's lips when this all started - herd immunity - and I believe they only locked down so as not to be outliers like Sweden, and when it dawned on them it could wipe out quarter of a million of us.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, it does seem like they never really dropped it, whether out of vague bumbling incompetence, or by intent. Best hope antibodies stick around I suppose - if the theory that they're short lived is true, then..well.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ruby wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm
Luce wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm Matt Hancock caused a massive kerfuffle here because he kept accidentally saying Keighley (I live in the Keighley constituency) instead of Kirklees. Cue mass panic on the local FB pages about everything being shut down but not having been told about it. Because that is actually a plausible thing that could happen these days, I fully understand the panic.
Was that an accident? I thought there had been an outbreak in Keighley. :lol: It's a chicken factory in Cleckheaton.
So did the rest of Keighley! And no, he completely misspoke so the council have finally tweeted to confirm that it's nothing to do with us :))
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Boris has stolen our childrens fruit and veg!!!! https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... sh-schools

I actually rolled eyes to myself when parents brought up the lack of fruit and veg on the class what's app when reception went back to school. It seemed like a small thing to complain about in the scheme of things. But now I know what's happened I'm contacting my MP. For some kids that might be the only fruit or veg they get :cry:
Little My

Post by Little My »

We have to be so careful that things don't slip through the cracks, never to resurface. Yes, planning is difficult and none of us have crystal balls but there can at least be budget set aside and assurances made.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

In case you haven't seen it: govt data on cases by local authority is published at pillar 1 level only, with pillar 2 cases not included. This is why their data on Leicester looked...harmless.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 2691273728

Yorkshire and Humberside also has low pillar 1 testing but high pillar 2 testing.

* they're still not officially publishing pillar 2 except for the sight of local health authorities, but councils/mayors/MPs only have access to the pillar 1 data that the general public can see, so no wonder the mayor had no idea what was going on - pillar 1 data looked fine.