Reading inspiration (Hatchlings)

Cerise

Reading inspiration (Hatchlings)

Post by Cerise »

J needs more reading material. He’s read Percy Jackson and all related things, Artemis Fowl, His Dark Materials, Alex Rider and all that kind of stuff. He’s tried some Terry Prachett but wasn’t keen. He’s almost 12. Any suggestions please? The libraries reopen soon but I’m reluctant to go.
Derek Nimmo

Re: Reading inspiration (Hatchlings)

Post by Derek Nimmo »

How about Charlie Higsons Young Bond series?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

A has read all of the above and also enjoyed the Mortal Engines books by Philip Reeves. She also likes James Dashner (Maze Runner and 13th Reality). Also The Hunger Games books.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

The libraries summer reading challenge has a brilliant book recommendation tool which might be useful.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Hannah absolutely loves the Skulduggery Pleasant series. That might be worth a look?
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Have you tried Gemini Force
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Horizon- ... oks&sr=1-2
I read the first book and thought it was really creative
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

J is really into Malorie Blackman, Michael Morpurgo and Onjali Q Rauf at the moment.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

This is really helpful, thank you. He’s read some of the suggestions but I’ll look up some of the others.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Oh, a BLM thing that was sent to us all at work. A virtual library. Can I attach a PDF?

ETA I've worked it out, but the file size is 4.5 mg. Maybe i can sent it by private message if anyone wants to have a look?
Malan
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Has he tried Anthony Horrowitz? E liked The Power of Five series.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Thanks, chaps. Our libraries are open again so we’ve merrily added stuff to his reservation list!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Let us know what he gets on with.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Ismee wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm Hannah absolutely loves the Skulduggery Pleasant series. That might be worth a look?
Thanks for this recommendation. A has devoured these as fast as I can get them reserved at the library over the last couple of months.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Has he read Ready Player One? Eldest loved that and has re-read it multiple times.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Flora Poste wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:45 pm
Ismee wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm Hannah absolutely loves the Skulduggery Pleasant series. That might be worth a look?
Thanks for this recommendation. A has devoured these as fast as I can get them reserved at the library over the last couple of months.
Brilliant. Z is into them now, has just finished the series and is starting it again. The next book is out in March 2021 apparently.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

Mine's just burned through a box set called Time Riders, which I didn't think would be much but he loved it. He liked the historical bits but he talked more about the characters, he was quite attached to them.

He's also liking the Skulduggerys, so yep, another vote for them.

Some other ones that are getting re-read a lot - and either have one or two sequels or have some coming in the spring - are Orphans of the Tide (I read this too, was brilliant), Cogheart (has about 3-4?), the Polar Bear Explorers Club (also 3 or 4), The Legend of Podkin One-Ear and Frostheart.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:08 pm Let us know what he gets on with.
Er, yeah. Better late than never!

He had already started Skullduggery series but had forgotten about them a bit so is back working through those. He enjoyed the Mortal Engines books and I think has one left to read. He read The Boy at the Back of the Class. He wasn’t going to but I told him that Lora’s J thought he would like it and he did.

They also started some detective fiction at school so he read a load of Sherlock Holmes stories. Now he’s rereading HP books from number 5 I think.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Older hatchlings that can cope with The Hunger Games and the later Harry Potter books might like The Enemy series (7 in total) by Charlie Higson. They are a tougher emotional read IMO than either HG or HP so parents might want to read first and judge if they can manage it- the first book has scenes not dissimilar to Stephen King in terms of intensity.

I love them and they come thoroughly rexommended, but with caution
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Another recommendation from A here - she's just read the first of the Lockwood & Co books (by Jonathan Stroud) about a psychic detection agency battling an epidemic of ghosts and liked it so much she's asked for the next ones in the series.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

That sounds good, Flora. I’ll add it to the list of books I’ve ordered for G’s stocking.

George is reading The Subtle Knife at the moment and really into it.