Weight Loss 2020

happyhighlandcoo

Re: Weight Loss 2020

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Well done, Marth, you're doing really well and it is great to be back in the healthy BMI range.

Good luck to those just starting.

I've been on a bit of a crazy snacking bender for a week or two, plus no exercise but I've still lost half a pound by some miracle stroke.

Need to get back on track. I've got 4.5lbs until I'm in the next stone bracket so that could be doable before the end of July. Still hoping to maybe get married in August and definitely hope to go on holiday so to be in the stone bracket below would bring me lots of happiness.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ismee wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am I'm doing a trial with Noon and so far have lost 4lbs so I'm pleased with that
I've looked at Noom and don't really understand it - can you explain it (in brief) please? :))
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Well done, Mayday! That's an excellent loss.
Ismee wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:13 am I'm doing a trial with Noon and so far have lost 4lbs so I'm pleased with that
I really rate Noom but it's been slooooooow progress for me. I lost 18lbs between January and May and then sacked it off for six weeks (not deliberately; I had a break for my birthday and found it really hard to get back into logging food and reading the daily texts again). I spoke to my coach last week and agreed I'd start weighing and logging again, even if I didn't feel ready to modify my food intake, and found I'd maintained even though I felt like I'd eaten the world for six weeks, so I am sure it's changed my attitude and behaviour. I'm hopeful that the slow pace and focus on psychology means I'll keep the weight off.

Nine - it's a combination of focus on diet and changing the way you feel about food/health/body image etc. It breaks down food into red, yellow and green according to how freely you should eat them, but emphasises red doesn't = bad; you should eat your red allowance daily. The calorie limit is low (1200 for me) but I usually keep to it without feeling deprived. If I plan my meals I can have chocolate/cake/booze daily but it means thinking about meals (and I know I feel better for a couple of snack free days and use that allowance for something like cheese or red meat). You have daily readings, focusing on one aspect of change per week(ish) and have a personal coach (via messages).

I really rate it, mostly because it's changed the way I think about dieting and, while I really do want to get into a healthy BMI range/have myclothes fit again, they wang on a lot about health being a lot more than weight. The philosophy is, "if you can't do it for a year, don't do it for a day," so if you love pizza you need to find a way to incorporate pizza, not make an unrealistic promise never to e as t it again.

That said, it won't work for everyone and, although there is a week where they discuss several dietary types (veganism, intermittent fasting etc) and present the scientifically evidenced pros and cons (conclusion = use evidence to decide what's right for you) I don't think it would fit with the high fat, low carb diet you prefer, as all of those things would be limited. It's very much pushed towards a diet high in fibre and low in fat/density as the foundation.

Sorry, that was as brief as I could manage :))
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thank you!
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Noom sounds great and worth the money. Not gimmicky or impossible like so many other things.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Thank you Lora. Well done to you too! I have heard good things about noom.

I am still plodding. No real loss here as I have been up and down all week, despite sticking religiously to my calories and doing everything right. It seems that I only lose two weeks of the month, which is annoying but I will carry on.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Thanks for explaining it, Lora. I'm new to it so wouldn't have had as much detail to share. I am liking it though. I've been trying to diet on my own and the dial on the scales have only gone up so I need this structure.

Noom is a little bit cheesy but it makes me laugh.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I’ve been old-school calorie counting for a bit of a change.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

nineseven wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:25 am I’ve been old-school calorie counting for a bit of a change.
Please do a Bridget Jones style diary entry for us in that case, including no. of fags and entire blocks of cheese. :mrgreen:

I am officially here with my extra pandemic pounds. I’ve been having a big lunch and dinner ever since C has been home, plus all my usual snacks so everything was suddenly a disaster when I took out all my warm weather clothes. I’m just adjusting portion sizes just now and seeing what happens. It helps to have our holiday in the diary because I’ve found my return to work date stopped motivating me as soon as I realised I’d be WFH :look:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Haha I’ll drink 3,000 calories a day in fruit smoothies.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

The constant elasticated waist bands in lockdown definitely contributed to my weight gains as I was comfortable all the time!

Another lb down this morning.

A big part of it is that I am ready, motivated and making a big effort with food choices and that is why it is working. I did have a cup cake at my niece's birthday celebration yesterday and we had a takeaway last night and although I chose a pretty healthy option, it was still a takeaway.

So it's not because I am living on salad and dust and I do think the Noom app is really helping.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I'm now at my pre lockdown weight (lost 2kgs since the beginning of June) and now focusing on loosing a kilogram at a time. Just as I got my mojo to move more, I've hurt my knee again which is annoying.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Well done on the losses!

Annoying about the knee though, Wiggle - I hope it doesn’t keep you off exercise for too long.

I’m still not losing any actual lbs here and I’ve lost my tape measure but I’m overall still about 3lbs according to the scales. They are either stuck or a few lbs will magically come off eventually as my clothes definitely feel much better on.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Well that is what you want. That's great.

I basically need someone to shake me. I can't get back into exercising at all. Today I need to come up with a plan that involves eating less toast and cheese, drinking less wine, and getting proper daily exercise.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Another 2lbs off for me this week. I really got on plan and I think it showed, I even had a planned curry on friday night and bacon cheeseburger on Saturday so I'm pleased with my loss. I just wish I'd started sooner. I'd like to do the same again as I'd lose half a stone overall and it'll drop me down to the next stone bracket.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Some good losses here.

Ive been away for the weekend, eating all the food. I didn't go too overboard so I'm hoping to not see any gains. Looking forward to getting back on it this day.

Cheese and toast are two of my favourite things.
Malan
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Weigh-in day for me. I'm down 3.5lb this week (and 6.5lb since the beginning of 2020 - I dug out a previous diary to check). I'd seen a further lb down during the week but it will not be recorded as it was not official. :strict:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I have killed the thread. Is anyone else still in?
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I'm back in - I weighed myself last week and got a horrible shock, so I've cut out the booze and started 16:8 - I started last Monday. Weigh in day tomorrow, although I may re-jig this to Fridays. 3-ish lbs lost so far though.

I'm going to carry on like this properly until I've lost 7lbs (and dropped under the next stone bracket). I've got quite a bit to lose, so I have a rough plan of trying to drop 7lbs in a go, then maintain for a bit (maybe 16:8 in the week, then normal at weekends) and then have another burst to lost the next 7lbs etc etc. We'll see.

Also - well done Nine, 3.5 lbs is excellent!
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Well done on your 3.5lb nine!

A couple more lb off here (23lb in total now). I lost barely nothing in June and was really upset but then it seems to have sorted itself out in the last week (despite me doing the absolute same every single week since I started :banghead: ). So plod, plod, plod. I am calorie counting and accidental 16:8. I'm just under halfway to my goal weight now