On Your Bookshelf

Flora Poste

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Flora Poste »

I really enjoyed Queenie as well Lora - especially as a lot of it is set locally to me.

I've just finished We Need to Talk about Kevin - I got quite into it by the end (and read the last 100 or so pages in pretty much one go). I'm not sure I like her writing enough to read another one of her books though.

I've now started Middle England by Jonathan Coe which I picked up randomly in the library before it shut down and it's pretty good so far - his writing style reminds me of Julian Barnes, very readable.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’m re-reading The Shadow of the Wind and I’d forgotten how good it is. I’ve also got the next 3 books in the series to read after that. I think I’ve read the 2nd one before but I can’t really remember it.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Does Queenie have any domestic violence or controlling men in it? It sounds perfect for my book club but I need to avoid certain triggers.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Yes, Chicky. I wouldn't recommend it if those are issues. I found it very upsetting (and triggering) in parts but if you don't have, or mind prodding, those bruises it's an excellent read.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Thanks Lora, I’ll read it myself but take it off the book club list in that case.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I've finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - loved the twists and turns, a great whodunnit.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It’s brilliant, isn’t it Duo? I really liked it.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I just finished The Dutch House and I loved it, especially the ending.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm It’s brilliant, isn’t it Duo? I really liked it.
I'd have preferred to read it rather than audiobook but it kept me gripped whilst I was out running. :))
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Duophonic wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm I've finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - loved the twists and turns, a great whodunnit.
I've had this in my to read pile for ages. I might move it up.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm now on to:

eBook - Lucy Foley - The Guest List. I'm a few chapters in and it's chugging along nicely
Audiobook - Caroline Criado Perez - Invisible Women. Listening to this whilst running and it's making me angry, I may be hospitalized by the time I finish.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished Good Omens this afternoon. The TV series was really faithful! I loved it. I really ought to read some Terry Practchett but don’t know where to start.

Next up is another Ann Patchett (only one letter out), Commonwealth.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve wanged in already about Commonwealth :love:.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Flora Poste wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:19 pm I really enjoyed Queenie as well Lora - especially as a lot of it is set locally to me.

I've just finished We Need to Talk about Kevin - I got quite into it by the end (and read the last 100 or so pages in pretty much one go). I'm not sure I like her writing enough to read another one of her books though.

I've now started Middle England by Jonathan Coe which I picked up randomly in the library before it shut down and it's pretty good so far - his writing style reminds me of Julian Barnes, very readable.
I struggled a bit with Middle England - it’s the third of a trilogy which starts with The Rotter’s Club set in the 70s when Ben and his sister are at school and which I really enjoyed - I think there’s quite a lot that’s unexplained in Middle England - i.e. why certain characters don’t like each other and why Lois is how she is. It had been such a long time since I read the earlier ones, that I couldn’t really remember the backstory. If you like his writing, I’d start at the beginning.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I know I’ve read The Rotters Club, but don’t remember much about it. I’m in no hurry to read more, instinctively. :dominiccummings:
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished it (about 30 mins ago) and hadn't even realised it was the third of a trilogy until I read the Author's Note at the end :mog: As I said, I picked it up on a whim in the library just before lockdown. What an idiot - I quite fancy reading the others now, although I think I've managed to ruin any plot twists/ endings for myself now.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I did like his writing though - there was something quite gentle about it (although it was clearly written by a middle aged man and there was one awful sex scene which just made me cringe).
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

We read Middle England for book club and all really hated it. I found all the characters hard to connect with.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve just finished Rodham which I really enjoyed. Not as much as American Wife (which I properly love) but it was good.

I’m re-reading Skag Boys just now. There’s something about books set in Edinburgh which give me all the feels. Especially Irvine Welsh (even though he writes about things so far removed from my Edi reality ever was).
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

I loved Commonwealth, Pip and Ella. I've been steadily working my way through every novel Ann Patchett has written since I read the Dutch House earlier this year, but Commonwealth is my favourite so far. I haven't found anything by anyone else that I like even half as much since. Currently reading Outline by Rachel Cusk. It's very clever, but a bit sparse and melancholy for my current mood, and I'm not connecting with it.