Holidays, trips & travel 2020

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Holidays, trips & travel 2020

Post by olive »

Luce wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm Oh, convenient! Yep, not even just paddling, actual full on swimming. I, obviously, did not.
I would 100% be cowering on the edge of the water.

Is it expensive to get away in the UK?

I just looked at a few days at the beach and mega expensive. Camping is not an option due to heat, snakes etc.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I’ve swam in the North Sea lots in the past when I was younger. Only on really hot days though and I’m not sure I’d do it now.

I’ve decided that I’m not going anywhere this summer. I had a week planned in Italy, but my friend and I never got round to actually booking it and now we both don’t want to go. I’ll see how safe things are later in the year. Maybe I can get away in autumn or winter if it’s safe then.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Our camping was £13 per night! I've no idea where that ranks on value for money though. Air BnBs/cottages in the UK can get expensive if there is enough of you.

It was warm in the sunshine but absolutely not warm enough to get in the sea, the silly kids. We only just got to Theo in time to get at least his shorts off because he just ran straight in. Look at the lovely windmills in the sea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Like everyone else I am desperate for a break so it’s nice to see people taking them and making plans (safely!).

Perhaps a hit like you olive with the world closed to Americans they’re all fucking at home which means every single decent looking rental property is booked solid until September. My time off is basically the next two weeks and I can’t find anywhere available that’s driving distance that isn’t a 20-person villa for $5,000/night or a dingy motel room in nowhere you’d actually want to be. I’ve spent hours looking the last few days and I’m annoying myself about how upset I am at the thought of not being able to go anywhere.

Of course I’ve got colleagues who were able to spend time booking things over the last few months (or have partners to help them) so right now there’s one lot posting photos to our chat groups from the beach in Oregon and I am honestly so fucking envious I could scream.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I know I need to cop the fuck on.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Apparently I also just needed to vent my frustration and whine into the universe as about an hour after posting that self-indulgent post I found a rental in the San Juans for 5 nights, so I’m going there on Sunday! I am a bit suspicious still and half expecting it to be cancelled for some reason, but they’ve taken my money so fingers crossed :fc:

It’s a house right on the coast, south facing with a deck looking out over the sea. Very isolated which means no light pollution and I am really looking forward to STARS.

Right, what else do I need to moan about?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 am Apparently I also just needed to vent my frustration and whine into the universe as about an hour after posting that self-indulgent post I found a rental in the San Juans for 5 nights, so I’m going there on Sunday! I am a bit suspicious still and half expecting it to be cancelled for some reason, but they’ve taken my money so fingers crossed :fc:

It’s a house right on the coast, south facing with a deck looking out over the sea. Very isolated which means no light pollution and I am really looking forward to STARS.

Please loan about the state of my house and then sort it out. Thank you.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

£13 a night is good for camping, typical is usually around £18-20.

Whereabouts are you, Lucy? I think that's the Sheringham shoal windfarm :stalker:
Luce

Post by Luce »

It was in Withernsea, Baa, on the Yorkshire coast!

Pleased you found somewhere, Epp!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

olive wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 pm
Luce wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 pm Oh, convenient! Yep, not even just paddling, actual full on swimming. I, obviously, did not.
I would 100% be cowering on the edge of the water.

Is it expensive to get away in the UK?

I just looked at a few days at the beach and mega expensive. Camping is not an option due to heat, snakes etc.
This year it does seem to be - I guess availability is so limited. Our airbnb is $$$ but it was the only place the week S and I could both take off and it's right on the seafront so we are sucking it up.

Are there any National Parks near you with availability, Olive? I would I would highly recommend Shenandoah, in any season, if that's not too crazy a drive? The onsite accommodation and restaurant were actually nice, and they have a great bakery recommendation for hotel picnic food. Would be a relief from the heat near you - lots of shady hiking trails. Some of my DC friends were due to go to the MA coast but gave it a miss because of quarantine restrictions and booked there at last minute with their kids and loved it.

So glad you found somewhere Epp. I'd not heard of the San Juans but they look stunning. Hopefully one day we can go back to the PNW :love:
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Luce wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:06 am It was in Withernsea, Baa, on the Yorkshire coast!

Pleased you found somewhere, Epp!
I did think North Norfolk was a long way to go for a camping weekend :lol: it looks lovely, I'm glad you didn't hate camping :))
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The San Juans look amazing. I hadn't heard of them either.

I love an offshore windfarm. :love: Swimming in the North Sea - not so much. I think I did manage it when I was Theo's age though. :))
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

We have booked three nights at an Airbnb near Scarborough in a couple of weeks time. It’s not cheap, but then nothing seemed to be! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised really, it being August.

I can’t wait to get away and see something different! :lol: Seaside, fresh air, lots of walking and hopefully not too many people where we are staying. We might even risk a meal in a pub.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:30 am Apparently I also just needed to vent my frustration and whine into the universe as about an hour after posting that self-indulgent post I found a rental in the San Juans for 5 nights, so I’m going there on Sunday! I am a bit suspicious still and half expecting it to be cancelled for some reason, but they’ve taken my money so fingers crossed :fc:

I’m so glad you managed to find somewhere, Epp! I’m finding exactly what you described - $$$ for huge houses for 16-20 for a little 4/5 night break. I can’t complain though as we actually had a proper holiday to Mexico back in March.
emma_p wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:18 am Are there any National Parks near you with availability, Olive? I would I would highly recommend Shenandoah, in any season, if that's not too crazy a drive?
Unfortunately it’s too far a drive for us (8 hours) and we did the Smoky Mountains/ Shenandoah on our way to Washington last year. I’ve been looking at the quieter Florida beaches along 30A but everyone seems to have the same idea so there are only massive beach houses left. We’re debating going when school starts so the boys and Mr O can work/ do virtual learning remotely from there as school is back in 3 weeks.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I've just booked a week in Dorset for the end of the holidays. We'll be on a park but we only ever use the pool anyway, and I'm happy to do without that (although I'm hoping they will do booked slots for small groups by then in which case we'd use the pool but not the changing rooms.) Berty and TD are super excited to be Mary Anning and I can't wait for a change of scenery.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ooo, where? We’re going to Dorset tomorrow! Holiday twins again!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Between Poole and Weymouth. I didn't directly copy you (this time :)) ) but have you been fossil hunting there? I think it might have been pictures of your boys that put the idea in my head a while back. (Plus we're trying to go to different places, after years of Devon/Cornwall/Wales. I'm the only one of us who's been to Dorset, which is daft as it's so close!)
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

No, we haven’t. I’ve been told to go to Kimmeridge and apparently there’s a nice museum.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Loralei wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:12 pm Between Poole and Weymouth. I didn't directly copy you (this time :)) ) but have you been fossil hunting there? I think it might have been pictures of your boys that put the idea in my head a while back. (Plus we're trying to go to different places, after years of Devon/Cornwall/Wales. I'm the only one of us who's been to Dorset, which is daft as it's so close!)
I have just got back from a place between Poole and Weymouth. The Jurassic Coast as they call it. lol.

Corfe Castle was lovely, but really very lovely was the walk up to Dulston Castle in the country park. A drink in the Square and Compass might be an option also in Worth Matravers.
Malan
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We're off to Dorset next week as well :mrgreen: Camping near Weymouth.