Time For A Change

olive
Really Creepy

Re: Time For A Change

Post by olive »

Such a waste of your time, Nine! They really should put that stupid disclaimer first.
nineseven wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:13 pm I know, it's ridiculous. I am also seeing a lot of jobs described as "entry level" that require 7+ years' experience.
Yes, I’m seeing that too. For some reason my job in the US seems to require some coding experience despite never actually needing to do any in my 20+ years.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

And now I’m applying for something else that’s just cropped up in another department. It’s a much better alignment than the previous role I applied for.

Question- I am guaranteed an interview because it’s company policy that all internal candidates get one. The department has quite a few members of staff in it on a temp contract already doing the job who will also be applying because this is a permanent contract. Is it poor form to ask in the interview if there’s a preferred candidate?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think it is in this country, and could seem quite confrontational.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I suppose once you are in the actual interview it won't really matter. I mean, it might be useful to know when deciding to apply or attend an interview, but once you are actually being interviewed, it's too late. If that makes sense?
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That too.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Yeah. I definitely wouldn’t ask. I just think you run that risk when applying for roles that they could have already been earmarked for someone else internally, which is a shitter and an annoying waste of time. I’ve had that happen twice here, I’d prefer to just not be interviewed.

I would usually work on the basis though that if you are being interviewed you’ve got a shot but obviously if the policy is everyone gets an interview (which separately seems a waste of everyone’s time? Surely there’s always going to be people who apply internally that aren’t suitable and an interview isn’t worth it?) then I guess you don’t know really.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

The closest I would get to asking something like that would be asking, pre-application, if there was someone already acting in the role (which you know already). I wouldn’t ask about preferred candidates.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I'm not sure what's to be gained from asking, tbh. Either you find out they have a preferred candidate, but you might get it anyway, or they don't, and you might not get it.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Thanks all for the replies.
Princess Morripov wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 am Yeah. I definitely wouldn’t ask. I just think you run that risk when applying for roles that they could have already been earmarked for someone else internally, which is a shitter and an annoying waste of time. I’ve had that happen twice here, I’d prefer to just not be interviewed.

I would usually work on the basis though that if you are being interviewed you’ve got a shot but obviously if the policy is everyone gets an interview (which separately seems a waste of everyone’s time? Surely there’s always going to be people who apply internally that aren’t suitable and an interview isn’t worth it?) then I guess you don’t know really.
It's basically all of what Povvo says that's niggling me. After posting that last night I contacted a friend of mine who works in the department to see if anyone was leaving and I hadn't heard about it :sherlock: as suspected, it's almost certain to take one of the current employees on a temp contract on to a permanent one. But they have to follow protocol and advertise it to everyone and then interview everyone.

So- now I have to weigh up if it makes sense to apply and show my interest for the role- on the premise that it might help me make a connection in the longer term- and tick those boxes that say I've shown an interest, spend (waste?) my time preparing for an interview and get the interview practice knowing that there's almost zero chance of getting the role. I probably will, since I found this out after I made up my mind to apply. Just have to remember not to be disappointed when I don't get it!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Hmmm. I have advertised roles in the past where there was an internal candidate and then actually appointed a different candidate. Because either someone better turned up on the day OR I was actually secretly desperate to get rid of the internal.

I am not a fan of applying for jobs I won't get, but also interviews can be an opportunity to get feedback and practise your technique etc.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I'd apply anyway for all the reasons Ruby mentioned as well as like you say it indicates that you are interested. Who was it recently interviewed for a job that had been pretty much promised to someone else but then got it - was it Ismee?
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

It was indeed Ismee.

I did apply in the end. I have zero expectations- but there could well be something else coming up in the pipeline in that department so they will think of me in the future (the other reason for applying)
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Definitely worth applying, Hazey!

I’ve got to the next stage on that job. They emailed to say they “loved” my writing test (!) and I have a video interview on Monday.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Yay! Good luck Nince!
Princess Morripov

Good luck nince!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Thanks!

I saw my dad this week. He's quite pro this government and thinks I'm mad trying to get a job, Brexit will be fine, the government won't let it be a disaster etc. But I really feel it's the best thing to do. Unlike some freelance writers, I don't have a husband with a well-paid job to fall back on if I lose all my clients. This isn't a hobby, I have to support myself 100% and it makes sense to me to get myself some security before the end of December. The magazine industry is on its knees with closures all over the place, and many of my copywriting clients just aren't spending on freelancers at the moment. Also I've just bought a house and need to save up to refurbish it!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I think that sounds totally sensible nine. You can always go back to freelancing later when things change. Ignore your dad definitely.

Hazey, I would go for the interview too. It’s never a bad thing getting on peoples radar. I had an internal interview a few years ago and didn’t get the job but the person they gave it to went on Mat leave a few months after starting and I got to cover her mat leave because they had seen me at interview and could say I was appointable. It’s always worth it. Ismee is also proof of this!

Having said that my recent decision to pull out of the interview I had was an excellent decision and I’m much much happier having made my peace with it. The person who has been appointed is excellent and I am not wistful in the slightest. You know when it‘s the right course of action.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Ultimately, you're not going to regret being over cautious, are you? Even if that's what it turns out to be (although I'm with you on the likelihood). Presumably you can keep your hand in with freelance contacts even if it means working extra hours, and as Chicky says, you can always change your mind. Well done for succeeding in the ridiculously convoluted process!

I'm glad you're happy you made the right decision, Chicky. It must help that you approve of the appointment.
Princess Morripov

I think creating a bit of stability in worrying times is absolutely the right thing to do. Surely if there’s a magical about turn and suddenly there’s loads more freelance opportunities you can then just chuck in the permanent job? Nothing to lose really!
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That's what I thought! I can still keep up some stuff on the side anyway. It's not like I'm deciding between a job and never freelancing again.