August Fitness

Topcat

August Fitness

Post by Topcat »

I've never started one of these before. :perky:

I did an 11k trail today and made the stupid decision not to take my Camelbak with me. It was bloody hard going, but bloody glorious too.

It's beautiful where I live.
Last edited by Topcat on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texaco Shirley

Re: August Fitness

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Well done TC.

I cycled for the first time in ages. Only 10K but it’s much more fun than running. Still can’t get up that bloody hill though.
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

I was hoping to go for a run today but I had a PT session last night and my knee is very tight and sore so I'm not risking it at all.
Well done TC for the run and Shirley for the bike ride. I haven't been on a bike for ages. The last time I did, my arse was sore for days afterwards. :mog:
Last edited by Pawpads on Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I am now online shopping for padded shorts :lol:
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Thank God it wasn't just me. I honestly would have thought that my bum had enough padding.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Good going TC. I've been threatening Mini with a caravan holiday down where you are with a view to run.

I have a road bike hooked up to a turbo trainer and I can only suffer for around 5km. Mr D thinks I'm making it up but I find sitting on my bike agony. I think I need to get a properly fitted saddle or at the very least a comfy chair strapped onto the frame. I just can't build up any endurance on my undercarriage at all.

I woke up this morning thinking I needed to attend or do something but swiftly forgot and was reminded by Mr D that I missed yoga. I only do a zoom class every Saturday at 8:30 :ella:

Anyways 7.3 miles for me
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

My saddle isn’t too bad but it’s a hybrid rather than road bike so I think it might be a bit less razorbladelike.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:51 pm Only 10K but it’s much more fun than running.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on that :lol: I do wish I liked cycling more though.

7.3 miles today (I’ll have to make up the shortfall tomorrow). I ran to my mum’s which I’ve never done in the 2.5 years she’s lived there. It was actually a really nice, easy (aka flat & downhill) route. Half road, half field paths.

Tomorrow I’m partially joining a few running club ladies for a run and then breakfast (outside) at a local bakery.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Duophonic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 pm Anyways 7.3 miles for me
:clone:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Duophonic wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:54 pm Good going TC. I've been threatening Mini with a caravan holiday down where you are with a view to run.
Totally do it!
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

13.5 mile walk this morning. Took facking ages. But it was OK, I was listening to a good book, plus I could stop for coffee and a bagel without being a big sweaty mess.

It does take your bum a while to adapt to cycling. I don't wear padded shorts but I only cycle relatively short distances of 20 miles max. Or I did, I haven't really been out much over lockdown, as I mainly cycle to work rather than fun/fitness. I do have a ridiculously expensive 'ladyfit' saddle on my tourer, which probably is worth more than the whole rest of the bike. Duo you should try a different saddle, see if that makes a difference.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I would definitely buy a padded seat /cover rather than shorts. The extra bulk on the shorts used to chaffe like mad with me.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I definitely think I need another saddle. I've tried shorts and a gel cover but I'm in agony after around 5 mins. I went through a stage of going on the bike daily for around 3 weeks and it didn't make a difference.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

If your shorts aren't tight enough, they will move and chafe. I changed saddles a little while back and bought tighter shorts and the difference is incredible.

By tighter, I mean form fitting. I forget how much lycra stretches and gets bigger after lots of use!

So, yes try a different saddle.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Also, whereabouts does it hurt? Sit bones or undercarriage?

If it's your sit bones, then your saddle isn't wide enough or is too wide. You can measure your sit bones which can give you an idea of the width of saddle you need.

https://youtu.be/E7j9LUVJrjA

If it's your undercarriage, then you need a bit of padding.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I started Tough Mother from behind on Day 2. :)) Just done 2 HIITs back to back in the garden, thankfully the second was a v quick accumulator.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Well done Pip!

9.4 miles today, with a break in the middle as I met some running club peeps. Feeling ok, considering the mileage (57 this week - new record).
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

My walking challenge is going well. Its become routine for me to do a 3mile walk before work. This morning I did 5.5miles in 90mins which I am really pleased with.
I also have a physio appointment this week to see what's causing the knee pain when I try running.
Last edited by Wiggle on Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Strong starts to the month. I'm not setting any goals this month as last month went to ratshit!!

First time back out on the bike for over a week and we did a nice gentle 30km round trip to a new farm cafe to have breakfast...it was our first time eating out since March and we were able to get a table outside (I'm still not sure about sitting inside yet)
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

7.2k today. It was much hotter out than I was expecting and I feel like I’m about to die but I also managed my second fastest pace on that route. Still didn’t get up the hill though :))