DIY for Dummies

Mountain Goat

Re: DIY for Dummies

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh and I have been using Frogtape and also Tesa tape and both have been excellent.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

It's only this size, cat for scale:
IMG_20200729_152315.jpg
I kind of feel like I have to give it a go because paying someone to do such a small area would be silly. Yours looks good Skips!

I'm pretty sure it's a concrete floor too so should be relatively flat and not need much prep. I'm hoping.

As for the type of tiles, I figure if I do it myself and as it's a small area I could choose something fancier than I normally would. I don't know what though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skips

Post by Skips »

I would definitely have a crack at that, shoe. You could get some lovely tiles for that area.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Lol it looks like my order is unpopular. However definitely ceiling first, and a big angled cutting in brush is the best, ensuing there is enough paint on the brush to avoid having to make too many brush strokes and risk error.

I would tile a floor. The main point to be aware of I think is making it square. Ie: not just lining up with one edge as it might not be square to the other walls. Also to start in the middle and work out so you get (for example) full tile in the middle and cut tile on either side. I can't explain it.
Malan
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I know what you mean, Marth! Making sure it looks centred and not off to one side because you've started from a corner. I think I'm going to do it. I'm going to watch some you tube and investigate what tools I need. :))
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I did my hall, shoe, and it was easy. I used a self levelling compound too because it was so wonky. Definitely work out from the middle, like Marth says. If you’re getting a pattern, double check and make sure you buy enough tiles to cover the extra wastage of matching the patterns.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I think you could do that area Shoe - it looks in good condition so you don’t have to worry about repairs first, which is fab.

I’ve never tiled a floor, only walls, but I imagine the principle is the same - if getting ceramic/slate tiles you will need a tile cutter and some nippers. Then obviously some tile spacers and something to spread the adhesive.

I would roughly lay it all out first before you stick anything down, make sure you are happy with how it will all look.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

OK, you have all convinced me I can do it. :)). I am quite excited about the idea now. :lol:

I'm off to Google tile cutters. :weewee:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Excellent Shoe!

I am just taking a coffee break and just want to say that I am SO SICK of prepping and my hands hurt from gripping the sanding block. I am on day 3 (of not full days so far) and I can't see me being ready to start painting tomorrow, which was the plan, and I need to be finished by end Monday. :ruby: Every little inch presents some unique and dastardly problem. :lg: I thought the living room would be pretty straightforward compared to the bathroom (blown plaster, peeling paint etc etc) and kitchen (bad ventilation = greeeeease, plus impact of a gutter leak) but HOH no.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I feel your pain Goat, it’s recently taken me two weeks to patch plaster and sand my living room, and it’s such a vile, messy job. :cry:

It will be worth it in the end!
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I hate painting prep. The most annoying thing is that it is actually worth the time for the end result so you have to force yourself to do it.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Still prepping. :)) At least the furniture is gone now, dustsheets are down, and my left hand has swollen up and I can't fully bend my finger. :lol:

I have the house to myself this weekend which is why I'm doing it but Jesus. Hottest day of the year. Also, every room is housing displaced furniture and stuff so nowhere is a break. I am currently sitting on the stairs as no chairs are available. :lg:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I won’t be DIYing this (and it’ll be clear why) but I need to get some cast iron radiators replaced. Plumbers don’t seem to do this. What’s the skill set or job title I need to Google to find somebody, and is there anything I specifically need to know? All I’ve managed to glean so far is that they’re not the same as “normal” radiators, although I’m not sure why (or whether that’s true). Thanks.
Marth

Post by Marth »

That's confusing. I would have thought it absolutely would be a job for a plumber.
Malan
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I think plumbers are more water (bathrooms/showers etc) these days. I've also fallen foul of this before! I think you need a heating engineer, Ella.
Marth

Post by Marth »

How weird. A plumber fitted my new radiator a year ago. Sounds like it's a whole new niche area.
Malan
Skips

Post by Skips »

We had a plumber fit our radiator too.

I tried to hang some shelves earlier and accidently banged a hole in the wall so I've filled that and will have to repaint and try again another day. We also discovered we were missing the back panel from one of the small drawers so this weekend hasn't gone well.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ah, thank you! That sounds like a plan.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Plumbers can definitely fit radiators but to do anything gas wise, you need to be Corgi registered and that tends to be heating engineers (many of whom are also plumbers). Its an expensive registration to get and maintain so lots of plumbers don't bother.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ah, ok thanks. There won’t be any gas shenanigans if that helps?