On Your Bookshelf

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Over the weekend I’ve read The Owl Service (was almost all dialogue, so the mystery aspect just wasn’t as tense as it could have been), and The Most Fun We Ever Had, that I enjoyed, but was very long and some of the repetitive themes/phrases jarred for me.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished Daisy Jones and The Six - I really enjoyed it and liked that the plot development wasn't that obvious (to me anyway!). I also downloaded Rumours to listen to as I really don't know that much of Fleetwood Mac's music.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I have finished reading Pretending. It was quite stressful in parts and the content could be very triggering for some people. The ending rang bells with something I’ve read before. So much so, that I thought I HAD read it before but the publication date says otherwise.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Over the weekend I read The Guest List by Lucy Foley - It is written in bite sized chapters so easy to pic up and put down. Enjoyed the story - similar in style to her other book The Hunting Party
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am Nights at the Circus is one of my favourite books ever :love:

I've just finished The Map of Us, which was a sweet story, well done. I didn't realise until I'd finished that Jules Preston is a man, and that I tend to avoid Male authors.
Is The Map of Us soothing? I’ve read a few emotionally fraught books in a row and need something else!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:52 am Over the weekend I’ve read The Owl Service (was almost all dialogue, so the mystery aspect just wasn’t as tense as it could have been)
I reread this recently having watched the 1970s TV adaptation and loved it. I recommend watching the series if you haven't already.

I couldn't get on with A Gentleman in Moscow. I'm never great at reading Russian; I struggle similarly with Chekhov. :sad:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I was just thinking it was a very Lily kind of story. :)) I’d like to see the TV series.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Cerise wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 am
Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am Nights at the Circus is one of my favourite books ever :love:

I've just finished The Map of Us, which was a sweet story, well done. I didn't realise until I'd finished that Jules Preston is a man, and that I tend to avoid Male authors.
Is The Map of Us soothing? I’ve read a few emotionally fraught books in a row and need something else!
Yes, I'd say so. It's not all sunshine and roses but gently done. I've also just finished The Flat Share, which is more chick lit-y but also a sweet story, well told, if you need another recommendation.

I am reading Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton, which is about a school siege based in Somerset. I read half of it last night and had to force myself to put it down, it's so gripping. I think I've guessed the twist re the who, but suspect it may be a double one, and there's still loads about the why I haven't a clue about. (Dont read this one next, Cerise :)) )
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Thank you. The Flat Share audio book got me through the coach travel when we went skiing!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:26 am I was just thinking it was a very Lily kind of story. :)) I’d like to see the TV series.
I found it all on Youtube. It was ace! I also reread Elidor, another childhood favourite. I have yet to read Red Shift though.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve just read The House by the Sea, by Santa Montefiore, which is a nice comforting escapism read.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Thanks for the tip Lily!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Loralei wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:33 am
Cerise wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 am

Yes, I'd say so. It's not all sunshine and roses but gently done. I've also just finished The Flat Share, which is more chick lit-y but also a sweet story, well told, if you need another recommendation.

I am reading Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton, which is about a school siege based in Somerset. I read half of it last night and had to force myself to put it down, it's so gripping. I think I've guessed the twist re the who, but suspect it may be a double one, and there's still loads about the why I haven't a clue about. (Dont read this one next, Cerise :)) )
I liked The Flat Share.

I've just reserved Three Hours as it sounds like exactly what I need.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I just finished The Carer by Deborah Moggach. I like the way she spins along a story in on direction and then starts peeling away the onion layers to reveal something else.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I have finished The Map of Us. It really was a nice story!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I'm glad you liked it!

I've just read Hard Pushed, which is the memoir of a midwife working in the NHS, so probably not of broad appeal :)) It was certainly eye opening!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just read my first Rebus (but it was way post retirement, maybe the last but one). I am very glad that there are lots and lots more.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Rebus books are great, Pip, I'm kinda jealous that you have them to read. Are you going to go back to the beginning?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m not sure, I kind of get the feeling it won’t matter if I go mad and dip in and out of order. We’ve got a few in the library at work, and I can now book an appointment at the local public library.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

He will refer to events in previous books but they do stand alone, i don't think reading them in order matters massively.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse