Home Working Set Up

nineseven

Re: Home Working Set Up

Post by nineseven »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:58 pm I don't know how you've lasted in the same room for all this time already Sal! Two offices sounds ideal.

Unfortunately I can't get my wall bed idea to work for various reasons, so the spare bed has to go (Sorry future guests!) and I'm getting a desk built in to where it used to go and getting this or this instead. Should be much quicker to get done, so I'll be all sorted in time for the next lockdown :woteva:
I got one of these beds for my spare room/office, so I can slide the desk over and sleep two in here if I need to. Would you be able to squeeze in something like this?

Edited again to add a better link and pic!

https://www.dreams.co.uk/classic-guest- ... /363-00339

Last edited by nineseven on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

My chair will have to go in the front room at the dining table, so I'm not really happy about the aesthetics :(

I can't have a desk and chair in my bedroom because the rowing machine's in there :lol:

I might use a snazzy throw to disguise it. (The chair, not the rowing machine).
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ta Nine - I think I prefer the solid daybed/stackable bed things I linked to, it will be nice to have something in the corner to slump on during calls! And there will be enough room to convert it back to a more-or-less guest bedroom when needs be even with a desk in there as long as I put the chair somewhere else.

ETA Ah, thanks for the edit - yes, they're along those lines only they both have the same base so hopefully pretty solid ( :fc: )
Last edited by Derek Nimmo on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth

Post by Marth »

I love that JL one.
Malan
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Ah I looked at those and the JL one is very nice looking, but I decided on getting proper mattresses (plus mine was a LOT cheaper and I'm on a bit of a budget).
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:58 pm I don't know how you've lasted in the same room for all this time already Sal! Two offices sounds ideal.

Unfortunately I can't get my wall bed idea to work for various reasons, so the spare bed has to go (Sorry future guests!) and I'm getting a desk built in to where it used to go and getting this or this instead. Should be much quicker to get done, so I'll be all sorted in time for the next lockdown :woteva:
We’re thinking of getting a wall bed. Is it a really bad idea?
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's not that it's a bad idea Tex, it's that the mechanism I wanted didn't work with the desk set up that I was after nor in my existing built-in cupboards. I would have if I could have!

I should be on a budget too Nince, and I've considered a similar one in Ikea that's more reasonable but I decided at the end of the day that I'd rather splurge and get a piece of furniture that I really like and can come with me if I move, and even be repurposed in a living room in the future if needs be. (Also, no holidays this year...)

I love the JL one too Marth, it's just the lead time that's putting me off.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I like those, Derek. I really want the Another Country Daybed One for my study, but it costs more than a second-hand car and we don’t have proper room anyway.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

These standing desks were just advertised to me on FB :legit: Thought they looked quite good though.

https://humbleworks.co/products/standin ... 9912386640
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

We finally ordered desks, 6 months after starting to WFH! We had been working in the dining room but the building work starts next week and that is right outside the dining room so we couldn't stay there. Plus every day J was having to set up monitors/risers/docking stations etc every day, then put it all away at the end of the day which was just tedious.

So we cleared out space in the 2 spare rooms and ordered desks which we can leave set up every day. This is mine although I haven't shown the whole room as we're storing some stuff in there until the extension is done.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
sally maclennane

Oh it's too big, I will try to resize!
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I thought you meant the table was too big then and you were off to have a go at it with a saw :lol:
sally maclennane

Needs must :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

Princess Morripov wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 am I thought you meant the table was too big then and you were off to have a go at it with a saw :lol:
:lol:
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Not sure which is the best thread for it, but if you’re a UK taxpayer, don’t forget to register for the piddling amount of tax relief you can get for working from home. Explanation here, but it seems quite straightforward. (Basic rate taxpayers get £1.20 a week, and higher-rate get £2.40.)

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/ ... hmrc-covid
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

They could do with revisiting that amount. The impact on heating bills alone is going to be more than that.

Thanks for the reminder though! I've not done it yet.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Our employer is bugging this up. I was going to register at the end of the tax year. Not sure if I should register sooner. I'll check it out.
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

In the article it does say you can technically claim more, but you need receipts and things like that. The suggestion is that this is a “no-quibble” way of claiming, whereas the other method is much more hassle.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yes, I've always claimed via the standardised method because the other way is much more labour intensive (and I probably do better via the first route).
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thanks Ella.
It seems like Mr S is going to be home based permanently, so I’m going to pester him to get some decent kit as sitting on a broken dining chair for the last seven months can’t have done him any good.