On Your Bookshelf

Elya

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by Elya »

Penny Century wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:57 pm
Elya wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 pm I’m finally reading Heartburn by Nora Ephron and loving it.
Thank you for the reminder, I've been meaning to read this for a while!
Me too! I really enjoyed it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Loralei wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:33 am
Cerise wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:30 am
Loralei wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 am Nights at the Circus is one of my favourite books ever :love:

I've just finished The Map of Us, which was a sweet story, well done. I didn't realise until I'd finished that Jules Preston is a man, and that I tend to avoid Male authors.
Is The Map of Us soothing? I’ve read a few emotionally fraught books in a row and need something else!
Yes, I'd say so. It's not all sunshine and roses but gently done. I've also just finished The Flat Share, which is more chick lit-y but also a sweet story, well told, if you need another recommendation.

I am reading Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton, which is about a school siege based in Somerset. I read half of it last night and had to force myself to put it down, it's so gripping. I think I've guessed the twist re the who, but suspect it may be a double one, and there's still loads about the why I haven't a clue about. (Dont read this one next, Cerise :)) )
Three Hours was brilliant, thanks for the recommendation. It made me cry a LOT though.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is amazing and fascinating and horrifying. Everyone read it.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I have read that, Bean. It's absolutely fascinating and scandalous, isn't it?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

It really is, I never knew any of it.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I read an article about her recently. Possibly a review of your book, thinking about it. Bloody disgraceful.

Heads up to Jane Harper fans, new one out 22nd September. The Survivors.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Turtle Bean wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:05 pm I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. It is amazing and fascinating and horrifying. Everyone read it.
Can't put it down, can you? I read it far too quickly at the beginning of a holiday and was depressed for the rest of the stay.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I want to read it now, after a quick google.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It's basically required reading for you, Pip! :))
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It is!
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 pm I read an article about her recently. Possibly a review of your book, thinking about it. Bloody disgraceful.

Heads up to Jane Harper fans, new one out 22nd September. The Survivors.
I can't wait for this, I've pre-ordered.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Lazz, I know. I both want to read it and don't want to finish it simultaneously.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve just finished The Herd, and I think some people here would like it. The blurb is :
An exclusive New York women’s workspace is rocked by the mysterious disappearance of its enigmatic founder
It’s like Glossier mixed with The Wing. I really enjoyed it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07TQK ... 8&qid=&sr=
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Sounds amazing.

I’m reading The Dutch House and finding it a bit slow going. I can tell it will be good though.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've just finished The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai and I'm in bits. It's about a group of friends during the early AIDS epidemic of the 1980s and it broke me in two. It is beautifully written; I recently read How to Survive a Plague about the same subject which really bulked out the story. I just want to curl up and sob for a bit - despite this I can't recommend this highly enough!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Girl, Woman, Other and really liked it. Now on Lisa Jewels latest.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have just finished An American Marriage by Tayari Jones and I really enjoyed it - this is the second of her books that I have read - both situated in Atlanta of which I know nothing, so they make incredibly interesting reading:

Newlyweds Celestial and Roy are the embodiment of both the American Dream and the New South. He is a young executive, and she is an artist on the brink of an exciting career. But as they settle into the routine of their life together, they are ripped apart by circumstances neither could have imagined. Roy is arrested and sentenced to twelve years for a crime Celestial knows he didn t commit.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I loved that too.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

I really liked it too. I started Silver Sparrow by her recently but it was an audiobook and I didn't really like the narration so will try again with text as it seemed interesting.

I also just finished The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and was muttering to myself throughout because it annoyed me so much. All about someone experiencing different lives based on different choices just before death and it obviously thought it was making deep points about accepting yourself and mental health but it had all the depth of a puddle. I actually had to go off and check whether I'd accidentally picked up one of his children's books because the writing seemed so basic. I liked How to Stop Time but he kinds of irritates me anyway as the self appointed expert on depression so I probably should have steered clear.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I was wondering whether to read that, Pootle. I quite enjoyed How to Stop Time but I know what you mean about him being a bit irritating.

I've finished Henrietta Lacks. It was fascinating. I'm currently reading Kindred by Octavia Butler.