Flying during Covid

Red

Re: Flying during Covid

Post by Red »

The wipes are a great idea.
I can do the chair in the aiport lounge and loo handles too.

I couldn't care less how it looks.
Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're an asshole.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve never wiped down before but would now. I believe there were wipes along with the mask in the pack MrE was given on boarding.
absley

Post by absley »

I have. I flew with Lufthansa who, on my outward flight, gave me a wipe when I boarded and told me to use it to wipe down my seating area. On the flight back, same airline, we were given the wipe 20 mins in, along with the bottle of water drinks service :ella: So definitely take your own wipes!

I felt okay about the safety wrt air circulation but am nervous about passengers who refuse to wear masks, given how full flights are/ no seating gaps. No idea how to overcome this though. A few friends who have had to fly upgraded to business so they at least had an empty seat next to them/ more space - nice if you can afford it!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've never wiped down before but once sat down in my seat on a plane and there was dried on food /vomit all over the seatbelt. I politely complained but they refused to let me move and a mardy air steward just stood over me and grumpily removed some of the worst of it (and flicking a lot of it on to me). I would have killed to have a big pack of wipes. :cry:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

oh man Ken!

Threads like this make me feel like a hobo because its never crossed my mind to wipe down a plane when I get on.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I’ve seen people cutting their toenails on tray tables. WIPE THEM DOWN. Same for trains.
AshleyX

Post by AshleyX »

I’m a complete hobo too, Smal, as I’ve never wiped mine down either, aside from when I last flew in early March. And I’ve never been ill as far as I know after flying or taking trains. I know I am quite a minger, though, I just don’t really care about this stuff, I’m afraid. I’d absolutely wipe stuff down at the moment, though.

ETA I’m not a minger in that I’d do something disgusting like cut my toenails on one or anything though :)) Just that I don’t worry too much about other people’s germs and grossness.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

OMG Ken! :cry:
Luce

Post by Luce »

I literally stand there and make my whole family wait (and no doubt piss off everyone around me) whilst I wipe down every single thing for all four of us. I only started doing it after we all got some virus days after going to Portugal. Bet it doesn't look remotely weird now, mind.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’m the same as you, Ashley. Never really worried about germs and touch points or anything. Covid has been a real game changer for me.

Ken, that’s utterly revolting. And for them not to move you!
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Ken that is utterly disgusting. I really hope you complained to the airline about that!

I started (well, I had started) cleaning down my seat and screen on flights over the last year or two. Given the muck that comes off once I’d done it the first time I’d find it hard not to any more. COVID just gives another reason to do so and carry your own wipes.

If you’re on that sort of flight I use the hot towels to make the high-touch areas a bit less grubby after I’ve done my hands.
People have literally looked at me in shock across the aisle/next to me when I do it, then a light dawns as well and they start furiously scrubbing at their own screens and seat areas :))

As for in-flight risk, the HEPA filters are a good thing in terms of circulating air. But it is still possible to transmit via fomites or airborne particles if you are in proximity to an infected person. This is not to be alarmist, we all know there are risks for flying right now, but I recently heard about a case tracing exercise where someone was shown to have gotten infected on a flight (there were five asymptomatic active infections on board). The one who got infected on the flight was not sat close to the others but is suspected of using the toilet after one of them, and that that person may have taken their mask off while using the loo (or didn’t wash hands/sanitize the area etc.). So I’d be hyper-conscious about cleaning down any area you have to share with others and not taking your mask off in the loos.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Estrella wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:44 pm I’m the same as you, Ashley. Never really worried about germs and touch points or anything. Covid has been a real game changer for me.
Same here, I was always a bit blasé about it "good for the immune system, innit" :shrug:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ken! That is revolting!! I hope you complained to the airline.

I’m just going to follow Luce around on this thread as I do exactly the same.

I make Mr O and the boys wait whilst I wipe everything down and I probably look incredibly neurotic but I’ve seen people filing and clipping nails on public transport, wipe their nose with their hand or cough and grab the pole that I then have to hold. It leaves a mark let me tell you. :twitch:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm with Sal, Eat and Ashley.

I didn't complain, I think she made me feel like I was being totally unreasonable in wanting her to sort out out there and then.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.