The Haunting of Hill House **SPOILERS**

Rebel Pebble

Re: The Haunting of Hill House **SPOILERS**

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Luce wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 pm
Ella77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:33 pm There is SO much wrong with their version of Britain. Why couldn’t they get a British person to run an eye over this at some point, FFS?
I have said almost this exact same thing. I'm only 3 episodes in so can't tell if they're deliberately weird or just an American version of British. I was really hoping it's the former but fear it may be the latter.
Quite.

Carla Gugino's Yorkshire* accent (the narrator) is particularly speshul

*aka generic Northern no idea what....
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Sometimes it makes a stab at RP, then randomly there’s a bit of Durham.

The most egregious thing (I’m still not over it :))) is that we DO NOT HAVE LIGHTS IN CELLARS THAT YOU SWITCH ON BY PULLING A SHORT CHAIN ATTACHED TO THE LIGHT BULB, ok, America?
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Yes. :mog:

That and the flag and the separated desks without folding lids. It was basically a US high school classroom but with kids in uniform saying "he's a tit" because that sounds British ha ha.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

And in a UK prep school (especially then), pupils would never, never, never leave when the bell rings without being told they could go.

I did enjoy the spirited attempts by everybody to use cutlery properly, though :)).
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Ella77 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:40 pm And in a UK prep school (especially then), pupils would never, never, never leave when the bell rings without being told they could go.

I did enjoy the spirited attempts by everybody to use cutlery properly, though :)).
:lol:

I'm trying to remember if we even had a bell (private, girls' senior day school) I really don't think we did. I particularly don't recall double lessons being interrupted by a dinging bell. I could be completely wrong though.

I get that drama can't always be accurate. You would never want to watch anything with actors playing musicians with my Dad. He could ruin Truly Madly Deeply. :)) Likewise medic stuff, or police stuff with anyone who knows the reality. But this is just basic and laziness.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s it. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but it shouldn’t be so lazy. And most British people drink from mugs, for crying out loud.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Yes, especially when they could have been reasonably reassured of having a British audience that, considering the nature of the programme, will be questioning whether the weirdness is accidental or deliberate as some kind of clue!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I don’t know why I’m still watching it. In episode 6 (I think?) there’s a whole plot point about a plant, and the plant is visibly fake, I mean VISIBLY.

Episode 6 honestly felt like they were totally ad libbing it.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Oh dear. :lol: I haven't got any further. With Hill House we were *trying* not to watch it too fast because it was so good. This is the opposite.

I'm guessing episode 6 is meant to be a show-offy episode like the - amazing - one-take episode in Hill House. I've seen it compared (negatively) in reviews to an episode of Castle Rock S1 centred around Sissy Spacek's character's POV, having dementia and jumping around in time.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Luce wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pm Yes, especially when they could have been reasonably reassured of having a British audience that, considering the nature of the programme, will be questioning whether the weirdness is accidental or deliberate as some kind of clue!
This! I've spent ages questioning whether something is a weird clue or just something that has been poorly translated. Disclaimer : I have only watched the first episode and I can't work out if there is deliberately no sense of period/time. Is that a stylistic choice or is it part of the story or is it just bad?
Luce

Post by Luce »

I finished this the other day and, British attempts aside, I absolutely loved it.
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Yes I loved it too. I could have done without the final few scenes though (except for the final shot).
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

That's pretty much how we spent the first episode, Ruby. Not knowing what was intended and what wasn't.
Luce wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:00 am I finished this the other day and, British attempts aside, I absolutely loved it.
I should probably give it another chance but what's happened now is that we're rewatching Hill House instead since all we kept doing while watching this one was talking about how good that was in contrast.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I loved it to but could have skipped a lot of the last episode.

The narrator needed to decide what accent she wanted and stick to it!

I’ve only just realised the cast is the same to Hill House.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I hate-watched it in the end. I liked the final episode, but jeez, it was bad.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I think I preferred it to Hill House even!

Although, I do wonder why they brought back all the actors from before apart from one!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I almost didn't watch it because of this thread but I'm really enjoying it (only on ep 3 or 4 though), don't mind the anachronisms, and have barely noticed the bits that aren't right about Britain. It's just set in ghost-story world, which isn't a time or place.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Luce

Post by Luce »

I really want to watch it again. And I’ll ignore the typically British noise of crickets in the evenings that we all know and love :))
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I hadn't even noticed that! I'm too busy loving Dani's awful 80s US outfits. :)) They've got her right at least.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am finally watching this, and am glad I stuck with it although like Goat I nearly avoided it cos of this thread! It's really worth it.

One thing which occurs to me is that couldn't Rebecca Jessel have stopped Quint from taking over Miles? Why did she agree to go along with it even if she backed out of taking over Flora, bearing in mind that she knew it was very damaging to Miles?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored