Talk laundry to me

sally maclennane

Talk laundry to me

Post by sally maclennane »

I'm going to buy a new washing machine and tumble dryer for my new utility room, so I'm interested to know if there are any turtle recommended products?

My biggest bugbear with the ones I currently have are that the washing machine doesn't hold much, and lies about the time left on a cycle. The tumble dryer takes ages to dry anything, and switches itself off randomly part way through drying something, so you have to go and check it every so often.

I think they will have to be standard sizes though as the utility is not very big.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Duophonic

Re: Talk laundry to me

Post by Duophonic »

I recently bought a Samsung Ecobubble, the one with the porthole in that you can add stuff when the wash has started. I think all machines are pretty much a standard size no matter what size of load they take.

Mine is the 9kg as I inherited a 7kg and found it to be too small for bedding and it fits the space left by the old machine perfectly. I bought it mainly because it was the most energy efficient as it uses fuzzy logic.

I've only had it a month or so but it seems good so far. I can't advise on dryers as my inherited one went kaput months ago and I have no intention of replacing it so I have a broken down dryer filling a space that will be converted to cupboard space when my kitchen gets done next year.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

The title of this thread has made me laugh out loud. Talk laundry to yourself, lady. (I have no advice whatsoever. A utility room is the dream!).
sally maclennane

My work here is done :humble:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Will you have to stack them, Sal?

I inherited the washing machine and tumble dryer (stacked in the utility room) but actually I love them, especially the washing machine as the drum is massive and it has lots of options. It's an AEG. The dryer is a Beko.
sally maclennane

No, they should be able to go side by side.

Thanks for the recs, I will check both AEG and Samsung.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

My washing machine is Siemens and the TD is Bosch, I’m happy with both of them if that’s of any use!
sally maclennane

Thanks Squizz!
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I’ve got a Samsung Ecobubble 9kg (not the one with the sock slot though) and I love it. It handles huge loads of towels, bedding and filthy Scout camp gear with no complaint. I especially love the ‘daily wash’ function for slightly lighter loads.

Slightly bizarrely, it stands next to a dead tumble dryer which will be replaced by a storage cupboard when the utility is re-done early next year :look:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve got LGs. We just replaced the washing machine after the last LG one lasted 10 years. The new one is 9kg and sends you a text when your laundry is done :))

The LG condensing drier we’ve got has lasted 10 years and is still going. I’ll replace it with another LG when it does give up the ghost.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

We had a Bosch washing machine in our old house (and left there when we moved as we indvertently blocked it in when installing the loo in the room :lol:)and it was great - we had it for 8 years with no problem. We bought a Miele when we moved here which I love but think probably isn't worth the expense for a small household.

I hate my current Bosch drier though, it has a sensor pad rather than actual buttons, and is so temperamental, I'm forever trying to get it to register my pushing, and cursing it. So, get actual buttons, I would recommend.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I have an LG 9kg too. It doesn't text me though, I am missing out :lol: I did have a Samsung ecobubble but it died 5 minutes after the warranty expired :cry:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I have a Samsung Ecobubble too.

I quite like the idea of stacking the two together.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I bandied about the idea of stacking two together but I wouldn't use the tumble dryer so it's a moot point.

I previously had an LG and loved it. The Samsung was a bit more energy efficient and quieter when I researched them.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Liv, I thought my Bosch dryer was broken for a few days until I realised I was touching the touch buttons too long! I don’t know why I suddenly started doing it wrong, but I’m so glad I realised before paying someone to come out and tell me that.

Besides user error :)) I definitely recommend mine. It has a sensor instead of time settings so you just put the stuff in, set it to the dryness level you want and then it figures it out for you. It’s amazing for me as mine is in the garage so it’d be a pain to be going back and forth checking I got it right/wasn’t leaving stuff in too long etc. I am very jealous of your future utility room, but I love my TD for solving this problem.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think a countdown timer is key for these appliances.

I don’t like the fact that I can’t do a 30-ish minute wash on my machine. It’s 15 minutes or 1hr 3mins. Why 3 mins?
Elya

Post by Elya »

Mine are both beko. The washing machine takes a v large load and has a quick 30 minute/30oc cycle which is pretty much all I use (except for towels/bedding etc) but still has a quick cycle at higher temps.

I don’t use the dryer much but it has buttons.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I have a Zanussi washing machine which is too deep for the space it’s in, but which refuses to die so I can’t justify replacing it at the moment. It’s about fifteen years old (possibly more) and still going strong even after three house moves. I don’t have room for a dryer but when I did, I had a gas dryer which was brilliant.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Our dryer in the US was gas and it was so good. Gas is being phased out though.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Gas?! How strange!