Weight Loss 2020

Mayday

Re: Weight Loss 2020

Post by Mayday »

It's so hard this time of year, Vigs. Don't beat yourself up. I've been having really veg heavy lunches (curries, stir frys etc) as the veg are so low calorie for the volume and they really keep me full. Plus nice and warming in the cold weather). Maybe something to look at?

Plod, plod, plod. Mine has slowed to a crawl but I am happy with what I'm eating, my exercise etc so nothing to do but to carry on. I'm holding on to the NSVs more, I have seen huge changes in my body and have transformed my lifestyle - while quicker weight loss would be nice it has really just been the catalyst to change my life.

I've been hovering a few hundred grams either side of the same number for a month now. It's very frustrating, especially when I know I'm doing everything right. I just have to trust it will come off eventually, I guess. It doesn't really matter how long it takes, I suppose.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I've lost nothing. I have been tracking & eating a lot more carefully. I don't know what more to do. A friend's girlfriend has set up as a laser liposuction type personage and I'm looking into it, because my stomach is driving me crazy. I could stand weighing whatever if I didn't have a paunch FFS. I know lipo is lazy and short-term though!

Vigs, upping your protein intake may help.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I'd give it a bit more time, Lily. When I started it took four bloody weeks before those scales shifted. Just stick with it for a bit longer.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Scottish winter-time is a shitty time of year to be eating healthily. Can you make pots of veg-heavy soups? They’re filling and nice for cold weather.

I’m going ok here. It’s all just becoming habit now (I’m just over 2 months in). Down 7kg, wearing a smaller dress size now. I want to lose another 6-ish kg though. That takes me to the bottom of my healthy BMI and would make more of my existing wardrobe accessible.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I’m still losing slowly, but I wore an older pair of jeans today that I couldn’t even do up at the beginning of this year.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Roma wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:55 pm I’m still losing slowly, but I wore an older pair of jeans today that I couldn’t even do up at the beginning of this year.
Me too! :dotty:

I don't feel like I've got any thinner, so was totally assuming I'd need to pick another pair.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Slow and steady is the way to go! Well done!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
viggy

Post by viggy »

0.4lbs down this week, which feels like a minor miracle considering what the scales have been saying all week.

Thank you all for the wee pep talk - I've been mainlining lentil soup for the last couple of months and I think I need to switch it up a bit - I'll revisit other soup options, and think about lentil chilli and dal and stuff.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I like a veg soup (I made romanesco this week, often do carrot), always with a load of onion and garlic, and for the carrot with ginger and tumeric and whatever other spices I feel like. There's only a splash of oil, and sometimes a splash of creme fraîche or coconut milk to add calories above basic veg. I then have a slice of lean sandwich meat of some kind or a fried egg for protein. It's plenty for me and really tasty, although I'm not very active. MrPG is happy with it too, although he always has bread and cheese afterwards, according to the law of being French :))

The dahl I did most recently was amazing too, just an approximation of the first few recipes that came up when I googled lentil chickpea dahl, but I also added quinoa.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I also realised that I hadn't actually worn jeans at all for at least a year - I've worn jeggings, but not real jeans :lol:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I made a red pepper and tomato soup on Wednesday that is really tasty and only about 100 calories per portion.

roughly chop 3 red peppers* and 2 onions, sweat down with a couple of cloves of garlic in a little oil for about ten mins. Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp of tomato puree, 1/2 tsp oregano, a couple of bayleaves and ~750ml of veg stock. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour. season to taste.

remove the bayleaves, let it cool for a bit then blitz it (or don't bother to let it cool if you have a thermoresistant blender like mine). Makes approx. 5 portions (I weigh about 300g / portion so it's about the same amount as half a carton of purchased soup).

*this week I was using up the eldest peppers in the fridge so it was 1 red & 2 yellow
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Soup without protein in it leaves me ravenous, if I have it for lunch, I'm ready to eat my own arm by half 2 :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
viggy

Post by viggy »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:59 am Soup without protein in it leaves me ravenous, if I have it for lunch, I'm ready to eat my own arm by half 2 :lol:
Same :lol: Some days I take a two lunch approach, where I have soup about half 12, and something else about 3pm.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Yeah, agreed, but as a basic soup it's pretty tasty! then you can dress it up with something protein-y. I had cold chicken with mine last night.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Oh no, it sounds lovely, Hippy, I was just taking about soup in general!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Soup is normally a vehicle to get piles of buttery sourdough in my mouth. I have no idea why I belong here :mog:

Anyway, non scale victory today - I went to buy a dress picked up what I thought was my size now (one dress size down from where I started) ended up two sizes down from that in the smallest size they had in the shop. Doubtlessly vanity sized, but made me feel good.
viggy

Post by viggy »

And on the other side of the world in Scottish winter, I can now fit leggings under my skinny jeans for warmth :lol:
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Well done, both!
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Brilliant, vig & Est!

I have again got up, started doing cooking work in the kitchen and ended up eating a biscuit feeling puzzled why I was hungry already, then realising I'd forgotten my breakfast :ella:
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Well done to everyone who's fitting into smaller sizes!

I'm about to embark on what will hopefully be the kick-start to me losing weight again. A combination of menopausal hormones and lockdown-cooking has caused the kilos to creep back on and I'm now almost back at the weight I was when I was at my heaviest a few years ago. :cry:
So anyway, a friend of mine did a cleanse from Forever Living aloe vera products, called Clean 9. It's a 9-day programme and it basically involves lots of veg, some fruit, lean proteins and a few of their products. I decided to do it for various reasons - the aloe vera helps calm down your gut and I've been having quite a lot of bloating and stomach aches recently. Also, it helps reduce hot flushes. Lastly and perhaps most importantly - the whole thing should help me lost those first few kilos. Aside from resetting my body, it will hopefully reset my mind and get me back on track with eating and living healthily. So, today is day 1! I'm excited and nervous in equal measure... :eek: