Covid-19

sally maclennane

Re: Covid-19

Post by sally maclennane »

I've heard of a few hospitality places that have just shut down and plan to stay closed until the spring, rather than do the constant back and forth with opening/closing. I can understand that, if you can manage a mortgage/rental holiday.

I know that there's not really another option (well, there is mass testing but that's not coming any time soon) but the impact of constant lockdowns on businesses will be absolutely awful.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

The relentless moving of the goalposts must be utterly soul destroying. I know it’s all intended to keep the economy ticking along as far as possible but I wonder how much more damage has been done to businesses and people by the on-off-on, keep hoping but never quite get there way it’s turning out for the hospitality industry.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Can I ask about what happens with the tier restrictions during the Christmas bubble period? I can't quite get my head around it all.

Bambs' dad is insisting on coming down to visit her. We're Tier 1, he's Tier 3. Obviously he can't travel now, but is saying he'll come down for the 23rd and head back before the 25th. He'll have to booking into a hotel and they will have to go out for the day as we'll still be WFH then, plus I wouldn't be happy to have him in the house. In theory, if they're a bubble, they shouldn't be meeting up indoors, outside of a private residence, that's right isn't it? And he shouldn't be taking advantage of Tier 1 restrictions, if he lives in a higher tier. It's unlikely to be policed, I guess, but there's already grumblings in the local press about 'visitors' so I wouldn't be surprised if they start asking for proof of address in places.

I am honestly praying for snow.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think all tier restrictions don't count for the 5 day Christmas period. And/or, in any case for children where their parents are separated (although I'm not sure what the upper age limit is). I *think* anyway.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

How does Bambs feel about her dad visiting, Beena?

I would be very interested in knowing if there is an upper age limit; J’s dad wants to use the ‘separated parents’ thing to breach the bubbles over Christmas; his ‘boys’ are 44 and 45 :roll:
smalex

Post by smalex »

:mog: Oh for crying out loud.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I know, right! Honestly. “Well, you are my children and your parents are separated and it doesn’t say we can’t.” :verm:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

It's not funny but :lol: There's always someone, isn't there?
Beena

Post by Beena »

That's what I don't understand, Smal. Are the restrictions being lifted i.e. can you go an eat in a restaurant on the 23rd, if you couldn't on the 22nd? I'm just giving myself a headache worrying that we'll end up with him taking up residence on our sofa if they get turned away everywhere.

Bambs will be 17, the age limit is 18. :ruby:
Beena

Post by Beena »

Bambs is thrilled, Edith. Plain thrilled. :woteva:
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

I think the point is by the time they are in their 40s they are very definitely offspring but not children.

Did anyone see the reports about Covid being in circulation in Italy last September? I am fascinated.
Beena

Post by Beena »

J's dad is brilliant. And deluded.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Beena wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm Bambs is thrilled, Edith. Plain thrilled. :woteva:
Can she/you not tell him that she/you don’t want to take the risk and that she’s looking forward to seeing him when it’s all calmed down? You could be the bad guy for her if she’s uncomfortable telling him her own feelings.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Beena wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:20 pm J's dad is brilliant. And deluded.
He’s been very reckless throughout this whole thing and is the last person I want rocking up at my house, to be honest.

I’ve found a few websites that reference the ‘up to the age of 18’ thing so I will show J and let him deliver the news. I hate that I have to go and find evidence for why people shouldn’t be dicks. Just follow the bloody rules, J’s dad!
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:19 pm Did anyone see the reports about Covid being in circulation in Italy last September? I am fascinated.
Ooh. Perhaps I did have COVID over last Christmas after all then. I have adamantly maintained that it could not have been COVID to all the people who have claimed such, on the grounds that it wasn't around. I certainly had a mild temperature, shortness of breath and fatigue and it lasted about a fortnight to three weeks. Can't remember anosmia though. On balance of probability I'm still pretty sure it was flu.
smalex

Post by smalex »

What is it with men of that era. My FIL popped over today (and tbf, he hasn't been completely reckless throughout) to drop off S's card, and a. I got the impression he thought he was coming in the house until I basically blocked the door physically b. said he was 'looking at all this logically' as if looking at the situation logically wasn't something anyone else had thought to do :lol: . His background in epidemiology will help with that immensely I'd imagine :ella: . He then, of course, went on to say some completely illogical things.
Last edited by smalex on Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I am still convinced it's what jack had last Christmas. He collapsed spectacularly in Dublin airport on Stephen's Day (obviously I was suitably sympathetic and told him to stop his nonsense) and was really lethargic with a high temp for about a week. It took a good month or so for him to recover. The doctor said he had scarlet fever, but that didn't quite fit for me as he didn't have a rash (he has a bit of eczema on his torso constantly and this was what the doctor was calling a rash).
smalex

Post by smalex »

The R number is now probably below 1, for the first time since August, the BBC says.

(Another in my continuing efforts to post slightly positive covid news).
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I also jumped on that for a bit of positivity :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Gotta take it where we can find it! :))