Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

smalex

Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by smalex »

We had flights to Edinburgh in May for the marathon that wasn't to be which we shunted to September for the marathon that wasn't to be (part two). We then decided to shunt them to Marrakech for Feb half term (when we did this back in July europe was starting to open up so while we knew it was far from a sure thing, it didn't seem as batshit as it probably does now :lol: ). Anyway. Clearly, not going to happen. SO. In the ongoing game of Flight snakes and ladders, what shall we do next? :)) Every time we do this we seem to get rinsed of a bit more cash by Easyjet so I'm keen not to do it too many more times, but we also do quite fancy going somewhere (preferably hot) if at all possible. Does anyone think there is any chance of travelling to North Africa in May half term?? Or if not, Europe probably a better bet?!
lazzbo

Re: Travel 2021 (what do you think the odds are of....)

Post by lazzbo »

I'd ask for your money back and book something last minute (much) nearer the time, if you can bear to do that. I'm probably speaking from a place of pessimism though.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't think we can get a refund. We couldn't for Edinburgh at least because those flights ran. Maybe for marrakech though if there's a travel ban though I guess
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Oh damn, sorry, I thought that was on offer. Lazzbo: giving useless advice since 2007. So the only option you've got is to push it back and pick another destination? Go for it then. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

:lol: TBF, I genuinely hadn't contemplated that the Marrakech flight might not actually run so we might be entitled to a refund. Its easyjet though, so I doubt it :ella:

I really want to try and pick something which might actually have a half chance of happening, though...
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I got a refund from easy jet when they cancelled my flights.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I reckon you could try a Spanish island. They live for tourism, God knows they need it, and it's warm there. Spain is unlikely to ban people from travelling there, I reckon.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Hmm. Maybe I should just hold on and wait for Marrakech to be cancelled (which presumably it will? Or are flights like that running?)
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Spain is opening their ski stations over Christmas when the French ones on the other side of the same mountains are all staying closed. I don't know what's reasonable to hope for re. post-Brexit + Covid flights any where though :(
smalex

Post by smalex »

It's worth saying, We could only go if there was no (or a much shorter) quarantine afterwards too. :ruby: :lol: Moon. Stick.

Maybe we should just book them as far a way as possible and then see how it is. Argh. :cry:
Last edited by smalex on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

ParisGal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:41 pm Spain is opening their ski stations over Christmas when the French ones on the other side of the same mountains are all staying closed. I don't know what's reasonable to hope for re. post-Brexit + Covid flights any where though :(
I thought Merkel and Macron wanted a Europe-wide approach to ski resorts? Me and my pals are not intending to go and eat vast quantities of cheese in the Alps in March, it's true. :(
Skips

Post by Skips »

If you can play flight chicken I would hold off until closer to the date and see if they cancel.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

There should really be a centralised policy on ski resorts. I’ve been to at least two where you can ski in different countries through the day (Avoriaz and Zermatt).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

lazzbo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:45 pm
ParisGal wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:41 pm Spain is opening their ski stations over Christmas when the French ones on the other side of the same mountains are all staying closed. I don't know what's reasonable to hope for re. post-Brexit + Covid flights any where though :(
I thought Merkel and Macron wanted a Europe-wide approach to ski resorts?

I expect they did! Currently they're expecting to re-open the French stations some time in January.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

H1ppychick wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:53 pm There should really be a centralised policy on ski resorts. I’ve been to at least two where you can ski in different countries through the day (Avoriaz and Zermatt).
You'd be pretty stuck if you went up a Spanish mountain and skied down the French side where there were no lifts running :lol: I assume it's about not having people travelling all over the place; skiing itself is pretty risk-free except for the tele-cabins. Not that there's much snow any way except in the very highest stations.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Bumping this as I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk...

J will be 50 in June. He's always wanted to go to Lisbon so we've said for the last few years that we'll go for his 50th. In "normal" times, we'd book it about now, but I don't know if we should risk it. If we don't go abroad, I'd still want to go somewhere in Scotland and get a really nice hotel. We could go to Lisbon in September I guess.

Would you wait a few months before ruling out Lisbon? Or would you just book somewhere in Scotland and accept that Lisbon will just have to wait?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I'm not even sure I'd bank on a holiday in Scotland tbh. It's definitely the better bet if you can get a good refund policy though.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

What Smunder said.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I'd book a long weekend (with full refund policy) in Scotland for June, and leave the Lisbon trip til the Autumn. By the powers of my crystal ball, I reckon September should be good (and you'll get some late summer sun, whilst missing the school holidays).
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yeah, I'm coming round to that thought. I'll see where he wants to go in Scotland and see if I can get something refundable. I don't even know if hotels are taking bookings just now.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse