Covid-19

Squirrel

Re: Covid-19

Post by Squirrel »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:04 pmI've been to the dentist frequently due to a difficult mouth, and honestly it feels like the safest place to be. Dentists are potentially massively vulnerable due to all the mouth particles flying around so they are SO careful. At one appointment they were dressed up practically in armour, I've never seen PPE like it. :lol: Safer than the bloody park, is my verdict. :))
Same here. I had to go last week and I need a repair so I’m booked in to go back again :ruby:. I quizzed them a lot about safety to the extent that I probably sounded a bit mental and I felt very reassured.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Heebie Jeebie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 pm The dentist felt safe when I went.

The graph on the front page of the Zoe app is pretty grim for Glasgow right now. From a steady drip over may weeks, to an almost vertical line. I hope its not right.
Is that cases for Glasgow? I don't have that app.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I agree with everyone, I had a non-painful broken tooth too and we went into tier 4 before my appointment but they said it was still okay to come. They changed or put additional PPE on after my jag and said they normally do it in the other room but stayed because I had a funny reaction to the anaesthetic. All ultra cautious to the point of making me feel a bit weird, it’s absolutely one of my strangest ‘imagine telling myself this a year ago’ experiences as they loomed around me in PPE and the computers were all wrapped in cling film.

ETA I do mean that in a ‘reassuringly safe’ way!
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm
Heebie Jeebie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 pm The dentist felt safe when I went.

The graph on the front page of the Zoe app is pretty grim for Glasgow right now. From a steady drip over may weeks, to an almost vertical line. I hope its not right.
Is that cases for Glasgow? I don't have that app.
Yes, it looks like this. I had been enjoying watching cases fall gradually but am less keen to check it now :uhh:
sally maclennane

Thats way higher than the reports on the Travelling Tabby website, it reports 2478 new cases in Glasgow in the last week.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The Zoe app is based on self reporting of symptoms, rather than on tests, and generally indicates the direction official figures are likely to be in a couple of weeks. :( Obviously fallible but it usually does end up predicting the direction of test results.

Let's not talk about today's deaths stats. :ruby:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm Let's not talk about today's deaths stats. :ruby:
It’s horrific, isn’t it :cry:
sally maclennane

Oh right, I will just stick with the one I use, I can't take anything that's more gloomy.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Edith Bacon wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm Let's not talk about today's deaths stats. :ruby:
It’s horrific, isn’t it :cry:
Properly horrific. :cry:

I’d go to the dentist too, Beanio. I have a smear appt tomorrow and am just not sure what to do for the best.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm The Zoe app is based on self reporting of symptoms, rather than on tests, and generally indicates the direction official figures are likely to be in a couple of weeks. :( Obviously fallible but it usually does end up predicting the direction of test results.
Sorry yes I should have said that. Although I wonder about what they report as a positive - I have reported symptoms that appear on the app such as brain fog, feeling down or depressed, skipping meals - but also recently tested negative after my bacon smelling debacle.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I think they take a % of key reported symptoms based on the % of those symptoms that lead to a positive test (I'm sure it's more complex than that). It does seem to have stood up pretty well but I don't know if it might be vulnerable to over estimates in flu season, for example? I'm sure they factor that in, but.

Sal, it's just as often positive. :)) Ie, you'll see a trend towards cases declining on there before you see it in real life.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The Zoe app has been incredibly out in my area, but also is reporting current cases (prevalence) rather than the new cases (incidence), so it’s not really comparable to the gov data.
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm Sal, it's just as often positive. :)) Ie, you'll see a trend towards cases declining on there before you see it in real life.
That's what I meant when I said a steady drip over may weeks :lol: I was posting while distracted in the vet's waiting room. But for a long time I actively enjoyed watching the numbers come down.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Just 9f add to dentist chat. I'm going to the hygienist next week.

I went with sb2 as he had to have an extraction and at the end they realised they needed the drill. They all then put on so much PPE it made me want to cry. They also moved all the following appointments to another room
Malan
Disco

Post by Disco »

cluefree wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:05 pm I have a smear appt tomorrow and am just not sure what to do for the best.
I'm supposed to book one but I'm not until things die down a bit. It's hard to know what to do but it's not essential for me at the moment.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I had opticians appointments for all 3 children. It would have been 4 of us in the building for 90 minutes and in very close quarters to the optician.

I was uncomfortable with the idea so cancelled.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I had a smear letter a while back. They didn't have any appointments when I called, and asked me to ring back at the beginning of Jan. I'm putting it off though as it seems a bit risky at the moment, although I've also had iffy results before and needed treatment so who knows if that's the right thing to do.

The death stats today have made me feel a bit hopeless and weepy. I might have to go back to ignoring the news as I can feel myself getting a bit anxious and crazy again.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Likewise Ken. Feel like I can't bear it today. Relentless bad news.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The case numbers seem to be stablising, Ken, if you want something positive to hang on to.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Thank you for saying something positive. I'm not trolling, honestly, but I've just found out that another sister has been very poorly with covid (and I've not got that many sisters). She didn't tell me before as she didn't want to worry me, so I've told her off about that. Again she seems over the worst, but finding this out on top of the horrific figures today was hard.