Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Squirrel

Re: Recommendations for other channels - ye olde TV

Post by Squirrel »

I’m three episodes into It’s a Sin and I love it and am completely heartbroken by it, I have cried buckets already. It feels completely real to me.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I absolutely loved it, Squirrel. It's one of the best things I've seen in years, I keep thinking about it, even a week on.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Montana

Post by Montana »

Totally agree. It somehow managed to be both heart-breaking and joyous which is quite some feat.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

A new series of Unforgotten starts tonight on ITV.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Ooh nice, thanks Rosa.
sally maclennane

Would you have to watch the previous series of Unforgtten or are the episodes stand alone?
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

I'd say best to watch from the beginning, and the first three series are on Netflix.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

What Rosa said. The mystery will be stand alone but the relationships of and between the main characters have developed over the series. I'm quite jealous of you getting to watch them all fresh from the beginning. :)) They're so good.

This is going to be tough, watching something weekly, :emme: but I can't bear to wait and binge.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh excellent! By time we have finally finished Spiral the whole thing will hopefully be there to binge. I really like Unforgotten.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
sally maclennane

Great, thanks, I'll check them out!
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Another Unforgotten fan here! I love Nicola Walker, she's such a good actress.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:42 pm We finished Its a Sin tonight, I really loved it, I just found so incredibly sad though. All those young lives lost, and people having to hide who they were.
I have just finished this. It was so well done, and heartbreaking. I was talking to my parents about it and my mum said she remembered people saying "Well what do they expect when they go having sex all over the place" but that gay men had been for so long been forced to hide who they were so it was not surprising they grabbed their freedom with both hands. HIV seemed like a punishment, just when they had finally been made legal. I read How to Survive a Plague by David France about this and it was devastating to read how little these men were helped, how little authorities seemed to care about HIV, how in one statement someone from Regan's government said "Well, none of us are going to get it."

I'm glad I don't have to wade (ho ho) through The Drowning. I look forward to Unforgotten!
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Luna

Post by Luna »

emma_p wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm Another Unforgotten fan here! I love Nicola Walker, she's such a good actress.
Hmm. I used to like her but I find myself playing the NW mannerisms bingo. The stutter, uneasy look, fake smile, uneasy look, grimace, hesitate.

Anyway, apart from seeing a headless corpse I enjoyed last nights episode :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I did too, and I really like having to wait for the next episode rather than binge-watching.

Did anyone see River? It was only on for one season and it doesn't look like they're repeating it, which is a real shame.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
sally maclennane

We started watching Unforgotten last night, and have watched 3 episodes of the first series already! I really like it, we spent half the time going "oh what's her name again? Who is he? What was she in?" and googling actors :lol:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Lily wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:46 pm Did anyone see River? It was only on for one season and it doesn't look like they're repeating it, which is a real shame.
With NW and Skaarsgard? I thought it was pretty good, yes. Although I think maybe best as a mini-series rather than trying to find an on-going theme.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I binge watched Industry at the end of last week and the weekend. It was excellent. Graphic sex scenes, so don’t watch with kids or elderly parents.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I’m loving It’s A Sin. I went to uni in 1982 and it’s just like those years - I didn’t have the gay sex, but the music and the optimism and the heartbreaking reality when people started getting diagnosed; it’s all there.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
rosy

Post by rosy »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:58 pm We started watching Unforgotten last night, and have watched 3 episodes of the first series already! I really like it, we spent half the time going "oh what's her name again? Who is he? What was she in?" and googling actors :lol:
I’m so envious that you have all that to watch from new!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I binged It's A Sin on Tuesday night. I watched one episode intending to go to bed when it finished, but after three more it was 3.00am and I had to give in and watch the final one on Wednesday morning.

It was so good. One of those series where you think you know the characters and miss them when it's over.