Compressed hours and bank holidays

Chicky

Compressed hours and bank holidays

Post by Chicky »

I'm going to work compressed hours in my new job (5 days into 4) but am confused what to do to account for the bank holiday next week.

Do I have to take Easter Monday as a "normal" 8 hour day and then compress 4 days work into 3 (which would be more hours per day) or do I assume that I would do additional hours on a monday as usual and then work the usual compressed hours on Tues-Thurs?

It doesn't help that I don't have working patterns yet as it's my first day in the new job, and there is some flexibility but I want to make sure I'm not taking the piss in my first week!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Compressed hours and bank holidays

Post by Kenickie »

You still need to work the normal hourly week, so if it's a 40 hr week you'd need to do 40-8(bank holiday Monday)= 32 hours over three days, or use some of your holiday so you're doing the normal 10 hour days.

Or, a slightly adjusted version if your week is 35 or 37 hours.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

But you should also account for the bank holiday tomorrow which you're effectively not benefiting from, so that should be an extra 8 hours added onto this week (or carried over to next). Personally I'd work a normal day today, figure out next week accounting for both bank holidays (or carry some of tomorrow's hours to the next Monday bank holiday), and then get back to normal the next week.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Nope, because your holidays should be calculated to take compressed hours into place.

My working pattern is Tuesday - Friday 9,9,9,8 hours.

This week I will work Tuesday- Thursday but I have an hour docked from my annual leave entitlement because I am off on Friday and a bank holiday is 7 hours (non-compressed) but I should have worked 8 hours.

Next week I will work my full week Tuesday - Friday but get 7 hours back for the Monday bank holiday I didn’t benefit from.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I work compressed hours (35 hours over 4 days), so the standard contracted daily hours is 7.

If a bank holiday falls on my non-working day, I am still working full time for that week, so I get 7 hours to use in lieu of the bank holiday at some other time.

If a bank holiday falls on a working day, I have to top up from the 7 hours of bank holiday allowance to my normal day of 8.75 hours if I want the full day off, i.e. I have to contribute 1.75 hours from my annual holiday allowance.

So in your scenario Chicky, assuming tomorrow would normally be a non-working day for you as you say you’re working Mon-Thurs, you should also get the equivalent of your contracted daily hours added to your holiday pot. If your contracted hours are 35/week, that’s 7 hours, if 40, that’s 8 and so on.

Re Monday then, since you don’t really have an agreed working pattern yet, you could ask that it’s simplest if you work your ‘excess’ hours over the remaining 3 days rather than tit about using a bit of your holiday to top up the bank holiday to a full working day.
Last edited by H1ppychick on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Or, what Pov & Ken both said.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Thanks all - I think I get it. Why is it so complicated though :cry:

I have to do 37 hours a week so I'm planning to do 9 hrs 15 mins across 4 days (8-6 with a 45 min break).

Since this is an odd week I won't do compressed hours so I'll just do a normal day today and take tomorrow as a normal bank holiday, and then worry about Good Friday again next year :))

Next week I'll accrue 7hr 24 for Monday, then on top of my normal 9hr 15 on Tues, Weds and Thurs I'll need to make up the difference to 37 hours which works out at about an extra half hour on Tues Weds and Thurs. This will be the same for any weeks with a monday BH.

Fortunately there are no timesheets and it's all pretty flexible so hopefully it'll work out ok!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I used to work 70% over three days, and this sort of thing was a pain.

My contract was 'flexible over a 37 hour week', but when it came to holidays the flexibility was all one way. Nobody else took holidays in hours, and they were listed as days in the contract (pro rata). When I first went down to 70% it was before the directive that brought in equalisation, so it worked fine for a while - I added bank holidays to my allowance and pro-rata'd it, then took that number of days. After the directive I had to claim everything in hours, which were then averaged, so that a day equalled x hours. This would be a faff for someone working the same number of hours a week, but my role meant that sometimes I worked 7 day weeks and at others I did the three days, but came in late and left early. I definitely lost out compared to F/T colleagues, but that was true of a lot of things where the 70% contract was concerned.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I find it complicated. I do a 9 day fortnight (8 hours per day instead of 7.12) so now have all my leave in hours, and the bh are also added in to my total leave allowance. I then have to add 8 hours for each bank holiday unless it falls on a non working day. Having to add 8 hours for a day's leave (instead of 7.12 pre-compressed hours) means that I get fewer days off. I don't like that, so I have started doing extra hours of toil to use towards my annual leave so I don't lose precious days off. (I haven't told my boss that though :)) )
Malan