Time For A Change

Margo

Re: Time For A Change

Post by Margo »

I’m so happy for you, Skips!
Skips

Post by Skips »

I'm going to train to be a care worker within an old peoples home. There are always jobs being advertised, but I found a place that gets really good reviews for both the care they give and the staff (especially in terms of training) and they are willing to train me up. My first two days will be online training and induction and then I will shadow someone for a week (they have said they would support me doing this for two if I feel I need it as I have no experience). They were very keen to talk to me about the training and progression they offer and they have told me that all training is paid for at my hourly rate. It pays four weekly so I think there will be one month a year that universal credit will be affected (as I'll get paid 13 times over a 12 month period) but we should be able to work this out.
Lola

Post by Lola »

That sounds great & I bet it’s so rewarding :yes:
Skips

Post by Skips »

I've resigned and my manager said she will get back to me about not working my full notice period (she needs to talk to her manager). I feel a bit sick.

On the other side of the coin, I've had all my contract paperwork through and invites to my first two days training and first day on site. My training books have been sent to me so I should receive those in the mail.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Well done! Don't feel sick.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

You’ve done the hard bit, Skips. Well done, and the new job sounds like a great move.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That sounds great, Skips. I did it for a while years ago and it was really rewarding in lots of respects.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Well done, Skips. It really does sound like you have done the right thing.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Well done Skips. Sounds like something you will enjoy and will have opportunity to progress. Please do not feel sick, you are doing the right thing.
Skips

Post by Skips »

They have rejected my request to leave on the 17th as I would be unable to handover my month end tasks (which can only be completed at month end). My manager asked if that would be a problem and I said yes, so she is going back to see what she can do. She asked if I could work on the month end days and I said I would need to find out a) when month end is (usually set around the 13th/14th) and b) it would depend if I am working on that day, which I won't find out until the 18th (at the earliest, could be the 20th when I first go in). I want to cry, I think my direct line manager is going to do what she can, but it doesn't look like anything will be easy.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Hang in there, Skips. :hug:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Skips wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:33 pm They have rejected my request to leave on the 17th as I would be unable to handover my month end tasks (which can only be completed at month end). My manager asked if that would be a problem and I said yes, so she is going back to see what she can do. She asked if I could work on the month end days and I said I would need to find out a) when month end is (usually set around the 13th/14th) and b) it would depend if I am working on that day, which I won't find out until the 18th (at the earliest, could be the 20th when I first go in). I want to cry, I think my direct line manager is going to do what she can, but it doesn't look like anything will be easy.
They can't stop you leaving, Skips. They have already stopped you taking one job. Would your new job not wait a week or two? Many people have a month notice to give. It's not unusual.
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Listen to Marth.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

But you could stay an extra two weeks and just phone in sick after the 17th! So they'd be in the same position. They can't make you work on, stick to your guns.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Also they've known you've been looking to leave for ages and have done nothing about making you less indispensable.
Skips

Post by Skips »

The job was advertised as an immediate start but they said they would wait a couple of weeks if I could negotiate a shorter leave date. I should have said no, other roles would have come up, but I'm an idiot.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I think it would be in your interests to stand up to them. They do not have your best interests at heart.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Skips, STOP. You're not an idiot. Your existing employer is trying to guilt you into doing something which makes their lives a bit easier. They couldn't give a shit about your new job, or you, as they've proved several times before. If there is no flexibility in the new start date at all, then tell your existing job what day you're going, and GO.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Do you have any holidays to take? Or you could do what Ken suggests and call in sick! They don't have to pay you for your whole notice period just up until you leave.

Do not let them browbeat you into staying, you owe them nothing!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

No you aren't (an idiot).

What can your current work people actually do? They needn't pay you for a full month if you only work half, but you will get paid by the new people. Legally, I don't think they can 'fine' you for not going in by deducting anything from what you are owed. I take it you have gone through all the relevant dates to make sure that you aren't owed any leave/bank holidays?

I would just say sorry, but I am leaving on X. I will do what I can by way of handover before then, but that's what's going to happen.