Cleaning windows

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Cleaning windows

Post by Marth »

Does anyone clean their own upstairs windows from the outside?
If so. How please? I can't turn my windows around/inside out etc.

Had a window cleaner today who used to do the windows of the previous owner. He used poles and didn't dry/squeegy the windows afterwards so they are not mark free at all.

If anyone's going to do a shit job. I would like it to be me and not someone that I have to pay every 4 weeks for the privilege.
Malan
Flora Poste

Re: Cleaning windows

Post by Flora Poste »

Don't do an Ade Edmondson :mog:
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Do I need to mention the magnetised doodah my parents bought in the 80s again? It was great, until it fell off. Again and again. :))

Does he not use de-ionised water? The water fed pole system shouldn't need drying afterwards - our window cleaner doesn't and it's fine (previous ones also)
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Flora Poste wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:33 pm Don't do an Ade Edmondson :mog:
Oh yes! I saw that :))
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 pm Do I need to mention the magnetised doodah my parents bought in the 80s again? It was great, until it fell off. Again and again. :))

Does he not use de-ionised water? The water fed pole system shouldn't need drying afterwards - our window cleaner doesn't and it's fine (previous ones also)
Ooh I have no idea.
Last edited by Marth on Wed May 05, 2021 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malan
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

:lol:

I bought this from Amazon and have no realised that I was using it incorrectly :))

I didn't realise the squeegee could flip around.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Als-Ellan-Prof ... NrPXRydWU=
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Marth

Post by Marth »

Does it do the upstairs,Duo?
Malan
Lola

Post by Lola »

Do you live on Arse Road? :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

Lola wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 pm Do you live on Arse Road? :))
:lol: I do!
Malan
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

It comes with poles that screw together. It does my upstairs. ''Fnar"
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Marth

Post by Marth »

Duophonic wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:29 pm It comes with poles that screw together. It does my upstairs. ''Fnar"
Ooo missus. You can do MY upstairs. And so on and so forth.

I might buy and practise on my back windows....
Malan
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

I was cross when we moved here and the window cleaner didn't squeegee but as above, it is meant to be de-ionised water so can be left without squeegeeing and still dries streak-free. I nearly sacked them but they actually do a good job and I definitely cannot be bothered doing it myself (and doubt I would do a better job).
Marth

Post by Marth »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 pm I was cross when we moved here and the window cleaner didn't squeegee but as above, it is meant to be de-ionised water so can be left without squeegeeing and still dries streak-free. I nearly sacked them but they actually do a good job and I definitely cannot be bothered doing it myself (and doubt I would do a better job).
Mine hasn't though. It looks a bit shit :(
Malan
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

That's very shite then. Do you know if it is territorial in your area? Different houses here have different window cleaners here so you could try a different one unless you are keen to actually do them yourself.
Marth

Post by Marth »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:05 pm That's very shite then. Do you know if it is territorial in your area? Different houses here have different window cleaners here so you could try a different one unless you are keen to actually do them yourself.
I've asked on my WhatsApp group thinking there would definitely be a street window cleaner, but there isn't. I can do all the downstairs ones and would be happy to just do upstairs 3 times a year :))
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

As much as I've got beef with my current window cleaners, and I'm going to move to my neighbour's cleaner, they've always done a good job, they use the pole system and it never streaks like that, so I think they do use the Spesh Water. I think its essential here with the flipping limescale :verm:

I cannot clean my windows from inside. My arms aren't quite long enough. I bloody wish I could, I can barely look out of the rear upstairs windows.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Marth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm
happyhighlandcoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:43 pm I was cross when we moved here and the window cleaner didn't squeegee but as above, it is meant to be de-ionised water so can be left without squeegeeing and still dries streak-free. I nearly sacked them but they actually do a good job and I definitely cannot be bothered doing it myself (and doubt I would do a better job).
I reckon he's trying to save money by not buying the proper water. I'd try someone else.

The first time it's used after years of detergent it can streak because of leftover film (when our old cleaners first switched I was unconvinced) but you said he worked for the previous owners so that's not why.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:16 pm
Marth wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:51 pm
I reckon he's trying to save money by not buying the proper water. I'd try someone else.

The first time it's used after years of detergent it can streak because of leftover film (when our old cleaners first switched I was unconvinced) but you said he worked for the previous owners so that's not why.
I wonder if the fact they haven't been cleaned at all for at least 4 months if not longer would make a difference?
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

It might, especially in a more urban area maybe. We went without cleaners for over six months last year with lockdown and then the old ones vanishing and it wasn't too bad on the first clean afterwards but pollution is quite low here. Pigeons and pollen are the main issues. :mrgreen:
Marth

Post by Marth »

I might give him one more go then bin him off if it's still crap.
Malan