Film 2021

smalex

Re: Film 2021

Post by smalex »

We saw jungle cruise yesterday too. Objectively it was rubbish but it was fun enough.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yes you’re right Smal - its definitely watchable. I had read a few good reviews beforehand and really enjoyed the chemistry between Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson when they’re being interviewed, so I had some expectations that it was going to be the new Indiana Jones. It isn’t, but there’s some daft fun in there. We watched it at home on Disney + but I reckon it will fare a lot better on the big screen.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’ve found Doctor Sleep on Netflix which is quite a good adaptation of a tricky book.

You do really need to have watched Stanley Kubrick’ film of The Shining though, otherwise much of it won’t make a lot of sense. And where the two films crossover is really well done too.
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I was supposed to be taking my two to see Jungle Cruise this week, but I bailed as I thought it might be a bit scary for a 7 year old. I could not face Space Jam 2 ( :lol: ) so we went to see The Croods 2. Much to my surprise, we all really enjoyed it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I am really not up for seeing Jungle Cruise seeing how horrified I was by the (apparently I changed since the 1950s) ride at Disney Land a couple of years ago. I could NOT believe that they were still operating a ride that included animatronic ‘natives’ as part of the attraction. I think it’s only been changed this year.

I’m sure the film itself avoids that but I can’t imagine the plot is up to much!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

They’ve only just changed the Splash Mountain theming too, which is equally mind-boggling, they know The Song of the South has been unshowable for years now…

I thought the Jungle Cruise movie looked like a massive rip off of both The Mummy and the African Queen, but I’m guessing a large part of its audience will be too young to have seen either :granny:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

We did watch Jungle Cruise. It was ok. No way near as good as The Mummy (which my kids have seen) or Jumanji. But the kids enjoyed it and it was a nice first day of lockdown watch at home.

We have also watched Space Jam 2. J thinks it’s brilliant (he loves both Lebron and Loony Tunes) but it’s actually quite terrible.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I watched The Dry which I thought had been adapted very well and Eric Bana was excellent.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve just downloaded it and will try to watch tomorrow.

I watched Palm Springs earlier this evening and loved it
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Chicky wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:28 pm I watched The Dry which I thought had been adapted very well and Eric Bana was excellent.
We just watched it, I agree with you on both counts!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I thought Eric Bana was good but I wished they had picked someone who looked more like Aaron Falk was in the book.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We saw Jungle Cruise yesterday and mine all really enjoyed it - it's very Pirates of the Caribbean meets The Mummy though and not as good as the Jumanji reboots. Mine were fine with it, but I can imagine more sensitive children being quite scared in places.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The new Suicide Squad was my film last night. It is very violent and tongue in cheek.

I enjoyed it but I don't think I'd watch it again.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We have Sky Cinema for 3 months so I’ve been watching films I’ve missed.

Le Mans 66 - enjoyable even if it is ultimately boys and their toys
The Dry - good adaptation and would watch the sequel if they film it
Promising Young Woman - amazing
JoJo Rabbit - turned it off

I haven’t found anything else I want to watch. :lol:
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

It’s J’s last day of holidays today, so I took him to see Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings today. We both really enjoyed it - Simu Liu and Awkwafina are great as the leads, and I could stare at Tony Leung all day. :)) The action is great - a couple of the set pieces are like dances between two martial arts experts, and it’s visually stunning. It’s nearly entirely standalone, with just a couple of cameos to tie in back into the wider MCU.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Livilla wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:23 pm It’s J’s last day of holidays today, so I took him to see Shang Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings today. We both really enjoyed it - Simu Liu and Awkwafina are great as the leads, and I could stare at Tony Leung all day. :)) The action is great - a couple of the set pieces are like dances between two martial arts experts, and it’s visually stunning. It’s nearly entirely standalone, with just a couple of cameos to tie in back into the wider MCU.
I agree, we watched it on Saturday, and thought it was fab, thoroughly enjoyed it!

The fight scenes are beautiful, the characters were engaging, and it was all just really well done.
Blondiejude

Post by Blondiejude »

If anyone has Amazon the father is definitely worth a watch. It kept me gripped and i can’t normally watch films (that said it wasn’t long) might be a bit harsh for anyone with close family with Alzheimer’s though, it brought back a lot of memories of my grandad.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I saw Shang-Chi this afternoon, I agree it was thoroughly enjoyable. Unfortunately I couldn’t wait around for the second post-credits scene as I needed to vamoose for a singing lesson.

I am also absurdly excited by the trailer for Dune. I love that book, and have a soft spot for the David Lynch movie version too.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I also enjoyed Shang-Chi. I had to explain to the girls about the ridiculousness of the very serious actor being the cause of mirth. I have already purchased a character, supposedly for Christmas but I might claim him for myself.

I quite fancy watching Infernal Affairs this week.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

We went to see Shang-Chi this evening too, and it was excellent. I will need to see it again though because the subtitled bits being in Swedish was slightly beyond me :)) I did manage much more than I thought i would, but I'm sure I missed loads too.