What do I need for a new puppy?

Little My

Re: What do I need for a new puppy?

Post by Little My »

My floofy cat, Willow, brought Gilda one of her toys this morning! They actually play together, and Willow will happily bat her nose when she gets too much but her claws are rarely out. The other cat is a little more wary but he's just utterly fascinated for the most part. She wants to play with them like puppies, so we do have to supervise just in case.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Oh! That's wonderful that the cats have adopted her so quickly.

Pépito took a while to take to Le Puppy, but today they played all day together, caught a rat together and shared it while hiding underneath my car :puppy:
Little My

Post by Little My »

How, err, lovely! :lol:
Little My

Post by Little My »

Our biggest issue right now is biting. She is particularly bad with my youngest; it seems the instant she sees him she starts jumping up and biting. The advice of yelp/go limp/ignore is not helping at all.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'm afraid you're going to have to either re-direct or wait it out. It'll last around a month or so. Innes was bad for nipping at feet especially walking downstairs.

You could try getting youngest to play games of tug with her to redirect. Make sure that the tug toy is long enough that fingers are well out of the way. I used an old towel that I'd knotted at one end.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Yes, I agree with Duo. Redirect while saying a strict "No!".
Little My

Post by Little My »

Thanks guys. Yes, we are trying to redirect with chew toys but she prefers him and he basically ends up throwing the toy at her and running away (and then she chases, of course). I will try getting a longer toy though, worth a shot! It's a bit heartbreaking because he so wants to spend time with her and it's really hard at the moment.

We are also teaching her 'down'. And definitely 'no'.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Another thing our vet told us was to encourage puppy playing by herself. ie not a human throwing a ball, or pulling the end of the toy. The theory is that the puppy learns to amuse herself and is not reliant on humans for her fun.

We've never done this with our previous dogs, but we did do this with Le Puppy and she has so much much on her own with her toys, sticks and so on. Sometimes she comes running up with her latest stick to show us and then runs off with it and carries on chewing, biting, playing with it.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

In a lot of ways, I found having babies easier than having a puppy. :lol:
Little My wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:05 pm Our biggest issue right now is biting. She is particularly bad with my youngest; it seems the instant she sees him she starts jumping up and biting. The advice of yelp/go limp/ignore is not helping at all.
We used to stand up, fold our arms and turn around whenever Maggie got super bitey. It does pass quite quickly but feels like forever at the time. I remember having a grave conversation where we worried we’d have to wear boots at all times forever.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Same here Cloof :)). I spent a summer in wellies and a sundress. She just constantly launched herself at the back of my legs. She’d get put in her crate for time out when it all got a bit too much.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Whereas we're barefoot half the time because she keeps taking our shoes and chewing them!

I always said I'd rather have a third baby than a dog, but no dice. We'll just have to assume that my way would have been easier. :))
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

How's it going, LM? Did you decide on a name?
Little My

Post by Little My »

Toast wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:06 pm How's it going, LM? Did you decide on a name?
Not too bad, thanks. Still the biting.. We are getting the kids on board a little more with occupying her.

Her name is Gilda.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Oh, I think you mentioned the name before now I see it, sorry. I like it.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Good that the children are aware that they to help with the distracting.
It is very much like having a toddler!
Little My

Post by Little My »

Thanks, it took a while to fully settle on the name. ;)

It is just like having a toddler! One that doesn't sleep through the night at that. Our biggest challenge is our youngest (who is 9) seems to be her biggest target. The second he walks in the room she starts biting him. Honestly, I think she particularly likes him, rather than it being an actual attack. Although little consolation for him..
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

This is exactly what’s happening with my friend and her youngest. I’ll ask her if she’s got any tips.

I often think I would have been better off with a baby! At least they can eventually tell you what they want.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Ugh. I am totally understanding 'puppy blues'. This is not going well at all. :cry: I'm so fed up with it all.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Oh no! What's up ? Maybe we can help with our puppy experiences.
Little My

Post by Little My »

The biting continues.. It becomes a real problem when the cats or kids are in the room. The kids basically don't interact much with her at this point - like hardly ever. Which leaves the burden on me for the most part. I can't play with her or she jumps and bites me. My arms are covered in scratches and bruises. She keeps putting holes in my clothes, and the kids clothes. The only thing I can do when she starts biting is leave the room for a bit. (We have baby gates to keep her in one area of the house.) But she has fully developed her loud bark when left alone, so that can be stressful - but she is able to calm down.

She does sleep through the night now (in her crate), and I have started leaving her alone for a short period around when she normally naps in the morning or afternoon. But I feel so trapped with her. It doesn't help that we just moved house, I get that. Both for Gilda and for my own ability to cope.

She will be fully vaccinated in a week, so we will then be able to take her out on walks and interact with other dogs.

What I would dearly love is a place for her to go outside unattended to let me get a little peace sometimes. We don't have a fenced in area yet, so outside time is usually on a leash. She is actually quite good at recall and not running off, but still a puppy, so..

That was long! Any advice appreciated, or even just psycho puppy stories to make me feel less alone. ;)