Trips in 2022

Edith Bacon

Trips in 2022

Post by Edith Bacon »

I know it’s early but I have been spooked by articles about how hard it will be to book domestic holidays. Plus, I desperately need something to look forward to, so…

We’ve just booked a week on the Northumberland coast next August. We are hoping to tag on a couple of nights in Newcastle on the way home for a mini city break because it’s been years and god, do we all love a city break.

I’m quite giddy at the thought of beach walks and dolphins and puffins and Hogwarts and crab sandwiches :disco:
Ella77

Re: Trips in 2022

Post by Ella77 »

It sounds lovely :weewee:!
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

That sounds fab!

We are due to go to Newcastle in April next year, for a Paul Weller gig (rearranged from Nov 2020). Otherwise I don't know what we'll do, I'd really like to go abroad but who knows if that'll happen. We're fortunate in that we can away outside of school holidays so hopefully if we're looking for somewhere in the UK, we'll be OK.

My mum is currently in Ireland and it's really making me want to go there too.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Skips

Post by Skips »

We're going to Spain for an all inclusive in September. It's a bit brits abroad but I'd like a holiday where I don't have to think about food and drink.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I'm embarrassingly desperate to go abroad (I think the dire weather has really pushed me over the edge). I've spent quite a few hours lately pricing up options... but we're committed to a trip to Devon in Oct half term so the next opportunity is Christmas or Feb half term really and I'm a bit torn about whether having hope (again) is worse because things are likely to get ...ropey... again. Its also difficult to know where to plump for when experience shows what might be green now could be the next hotspot. But God. I want to go so much. Just to plan something and look forward to it and then enjoy the experience.

In terms of our main holiday I guess we'll book flights soon to the US..again...because virgin still have our money (we originally booked in autumn 2019 for 2020 and they won't give us the 2k back). I'm already very sceptical of the odds of the US being open. We do still really want to go but it also means we end up putting our eggs in that basket and possibly being left with fewer options if it falls through eventually. I bloody am going somewhere next summer though.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Sproglette and I have Paris booked for the end of the Easter holidays.

The four of us are also planning to meet up with friends in Blackpool over the bonus BH weekend in June.

We debated next summer’s plans as the IoW trip came to an end but nobody would make a decision so nothing was booked. It was only going to be camping somewhere in the UK again, but we couldn’t decide on length, location or Ready Camp v Unknown Glamping v Own Camping Kit.

It’s P’s 40th next December but he won’t entertain discussion about what he might do until he’s 39. :lol:
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

I’m supposed to be going all over Germany, to Amsterdam and Brussels to see the rescheduled Paul Weller concerts from April 2020.

It seems unlikely that it will happen but I have offered to go to Aix-en-Provence next year if my cousin and his wife need some childcare help with their daughter who will be 2.5 years old by then. So a working holiday if it happens in a beautiful city with excellent company.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Skips wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 pmI'd like a holiday where I don't have to think about food and drink.
I like to devote at least 50% of my holiday to thinking about those things. :lol:

I would really love to get something booked, but I’m too anxious about it just now. I’ll wait and see how this winter goes. Oddly I don’t think I want to do any of the trips that got cancelled last year, if I could pick one place just now I’d probably choose Portugal.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve got a 2 year delayed visit to Centre Parcs in May with all my family but that’s it at the moment. Mr C may have to go to New York in January for work and I’d like to go with him if possible but I’m not getting my hopes up.

We may try and book something for September too, especially as my parents are happy to housesit. If we do it’ll probably be Kefalonia again although I’m tempted by the Dalmatian Coast too.

Sal, give me a shout if you fancy a drink when you are in the NE!
F'Artiste

Post by F'Artiste »

We have nothing booked, but having spent an outrageous amount of money going home to Jersey twice this year, I’ve already told A that we’ll prioritise going abroad next year. I’d like to book Mexico (we were meant to go last year to celebrate our anniversary, and before V started school, just as everything was kicking off, and it was cancelled) but it seems laughably unlikely right now :(.

We’d like to go to Spain or Greece. Essentially I want somewhere warm/hot, where I don’t need to think about food or drink.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I agree with P. My mum tried to make plans for my 40th the day before I turned 39 in May, and I was not impressed :))

At the moment, most of my plans involve Sweden, but I'd like to go somewhere with the boys too. Possibly Spain/Lanzarote with my family for my 40th.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Tabitha wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:38 pm
Skips wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:12 pmI'd like a holiday where I don't have to think about food and drink.
I like to devote at least 50% of my holiday to thinking about those things. :lol:

Usually I would, but I've completely lost interest in the planning of food; what ir where to eat, sourcing of it and cooking it. My friend treated me to dinner on Saturday, my choice, and I just didn't care so we ended up in a chain restaurant . If it changes between now and when we go there are places nearby we can check out, but right now I just want it to be brainless.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

My son is currently in Sweden and my daughter is in Paris so we're really hoping we'll be able to go and visit them at some point in the year (possibly half-term for Paris but need to wait so see what the requirements are then).

We were meant to be having a big family trip away in summer 2020 (probably Canada) but I'm not sure if/when we'll be able to do something like now. I was also meant to be going to New York with my daughter (to celebrate my 50th/her 21st) but that's also on hold. Like Tabitha, I really want to book something but I'm too worried that it won't go ahead to do so yet.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I'm not planning anything abroad next year. Although if we did it would almost certainly be sunny Scotland, but I'm not even thinking about it unless it's actually realistic.

We will be taking our Airstream out and about. If we could make it as far as Nova Scotia I'd be delighted.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Our international border is still closed though there are murmurs that we may be able to travel to certain countries from the start of next year. And our state border is closed too, to a number of states where there are delta outbreaks, so it looks like we are holidaying in Queensland for the foreseeable. Scotland would be our first port of call, like you, LM. But we can’t contemplate it until things are much more stable and also that we don’t have to fork out $5.5k for 14 days in hotel quarantine on return.
smalex

Post by smalex »

We're going to book a package to Marrakech in Feb half term. It'll probably be laughably implausible (again) but meh. Its time (for me) to harbour a bit of hope. We could book the parts separately (the flights are easyjet anyway) for about 20% less but W will need to be PCR'd within 48hrs and the hotel is only offering free refunds up to 3 days before so we'd be taking a big risk, so I think we'll book through Tui or First choice (same difference), their arrangements if you have to cancel seem reasonable. Obviously we'll arrange travel insurance. Is there anything else I'm not thinking about?
Luce

Post by Luce »

It is T's 40th this November and we've only just made a decision this weekend so I hear you Wendy! We've booked 4 nights in Iceland! I'm ridiculously excited AND super nervous about travelling in a pandemic. I find the whole rollercoaster of will we/won't we completely exhausting. BUT! Being positive, will be excellent if we can go. We've got 2 nights in Reykjavik and 2 nights in a suite at the Blue Lagoon Resort. They have a service for ringing you in the night if the northern lights can be seen - so you don't miss it :))

We've also got CP in October that was from a cancelled one last year.

We were supposed to be going to Disney again this year and then made that our plans for 2022 instead but I actually don't think that will be possible. F will be nearly 15 in 2023 and I'm really sad that he'll be over the magical-childhood years for it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

The Blue Lagoon is brilliant! Iceland is handling the pandemic really well too, so I reckon you'll be fine.
Luce

Post by Luce »

They do seem to be doing ok. We have to be double vaccinated and pass a PCR test to get in so hopefully that'll all be ok.

We've booked some romantic package that gives us massages in the spa, a four course meal on one night and then a 7 course tasting menu the other night so I think it will be lovely for a 40th celebration. I also really want to go to the Viking museum in Reykjavik :))

I'm sure the kids will have a lovely time staying with Nana and Papa :look:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Oh good, just the two of you :)).

You can drink in the lagoon :perky:.