Rosa

Re: Emma Raducanu

Post by Rosa »

It has to be Emma, surely.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh god I'd actually forgotten him as well :lol:
Cavs got one. I think some people did some stuff in the Olympics and paras though...and wasn't there something about some football? Hard to remember now though.

Nah. Emma for SPOTY
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

There will be the comparisons with fairy tales but this is still beyond wildest dreams stuff.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I think Tom Daley was the bookies favourite til now (finally getting an Olympic gold medal as the pinnacle of a long career in the public spotlight, losing his Dad, and you know, knitting :)) ). But Emma has now jumped into the odds-on position.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I find it funny how we single out one person each year across a range of sports, just for telly (which I don’t usually watch because I find it kind of dull), and then concentrate on that event as though it’s the absolute pinnacle of all that these people have achieved. When it’s mostly a popularity contest.

I think it kind of diminishes all the amazing stuff they’ve done. Why does SPOTY matter? They’ve done amazingly well with their publicity for it to be on our minds at every big contest if a British person does well.
smalex

Post by smalex »

It really doesn't, it's just a bit of fun
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve surprised myself with my depth of feeling on it. :lol: SPOTY was one of my first thoughts too last night and then it annoyed me.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I just like it as a recap of the year really (though increasingly they do much less of that). It is a silly popularity contest, but I think if a young woman was to win I'd be pretty pleased to see it!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Definitely.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I would be happy with either a young woman or an out and proud gay man - particularly since it’s a popular vote. I’d also love to see Rahim Sterling up there too, for similar reasons, but I think it’s unlikely individual footballers will be considered in an Olympic year.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

There is a team award I think so I guess the England team will win that, and Emma can win the individual award.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

smalex wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:17 pm
Rosa wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 pm No qualifier (male or female) has ever reached a grand slam final, let alone gone on to win it.
History maker.
I kept choking up when I was telling Pete about her achievement. And I’m not even bothered about tennis usually. She’s just amazing.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I would give several fortunes for this to be true:

https://twitter.com/clooky/status/14370 ... 98081?s=21
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

It’s not, sorry Rosy :)) I bet it still stings for Piers though, because everyone’s retweeting it as if it is (Andy Roddick, Judy Murray etc).

It turned out to be a great tournament in the end because Novak didn’t win. He was two sets down when I went to bed last night, but as he’d been in the same position in the French Open and came back to win I wasn’t holding my breath. But well done to Medvedev!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

C4 had over 9 million viewers watching the Raducanu match. Very good for women’s sport!