Sarah Everard

Rosa

Re: Sarah Everard

Post by Rosa »

I can't bear to think about it, and yet feel I should. Sarah's mother's victim statement was so powerful, and so very upsetting.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Over here a former policeman has just committed suicide, leaving a confession to being a serial rapist and killer (in the 80s and 90s, at least the currently known cases). He had been called to be interviewed following familial DNA evidence from some of the crimes.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Rosa wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:38 pm I can't bear to think about it, and yet feel I should. Sarah's mother's victim statement was so powerful, and so very upsetting.
It really cried listening to it. I think of something like that happening to my children and I would just want to die too. I think that my body would just make me dead, but I know it wouldn't, and I would be living, dealing with it.
Malan
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I'd have got in too.

Years ago a taxi driver took me on a long winded journey home and for about 15 minutes I was fucking terrified as we took a detour through the docks. He said he was just sick of the main road and fancied a change and genuinely didn't think how scary it would be for me. She endured an hours journey - handcuffed - I can't imagine how that must've been.

Lucy mentioned on fb she wasn't aware you didn't have to immediately pull over for the police. I want to reiterate here that if you're alone and a police officer tries to pull you over you absolutely can slow down, give them the thumbs up through the window and drive to a police station.

You are allowed to peacefully refuse arrest by a lone police officer and request that you walk to a police station or that they get a second officer.

We shouldn't have to protect ourselves from the police force.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

The whole thing is totally horrific.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I hope he suffers a lot in prison. A lot.

Cressida Dick should have resigned years ago. Absolute disgrace, that woman.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Deleted because I am just repeating myself like a senile old duffer :))
Last edited by Marth on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malan
Disco

Post by Disco »

It's just so awful. That poor woman. Her poor family. Surely this can't have been his first attempt at rape and murder.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Absofuckinglutely Marth.
smalex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:07 am
Rebel Pebble wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 am
smalex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:03 am There's nothing to say she's been taken by someone who opportunistically in a quiet street though, maybe she knew him/them?
Or they were a figure of trust, ie a police officer.
Eugh, yeah.
When I wrote this I never imagined the extent to which he exploited both his position of trust and authority and the fucking shittily written covid rules.

And what really adds to my rage is that, at the vigil, the Met used those same rules as an excuse to restrain women, acting peacefully, on their fronts holding their hands behind their backs. FUCK YOU, TOSSERS.
rosy

Post by rosy »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:39 pm Over here a former policeman has just committed suicide, leaving a confession to being a serial rapist and killer (in the 80s and 90s, at least the currently known cases). He had been called to be interviewed following familial DNA evidence from some of the crimes.
I was just reading about that. Sickening.

The impact statements from Sarah's family were so moving; I had to pull the car over on my way home this lunchtime because I was in tears, listening to the reporting.

I don't know what the way forward is. I read today that there is a proposal that lone police officers should not be able to arrest or detain someone, but unless the government is prepared to pretty much double the police budget, I don't see how that could ever work.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 pm Absofuckinglutely Marth.
smalex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:07 am
Rebel Pebble wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 am
smalex wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:03 am There's nothing to say she's been taken by someone who opportunistically in a quiet street though, maybe she knew him/them?
Or they were a figure of trust, ie a police officer.
Eugh, yeah.
When I wrote this I never imagined the extent to which he exploited both his position of trust and authority and the fucking shittily written covid rules.

And what really adds to my rage is that, at the vigil, the Met used those same rules as an excuse to restrain women, acting peacefully, on their fronts holding their hands behind their backs. FUCK YOU, TOSSERS.
Oh God. And to think there was wankers saying she shouldn't have been out because of lockdown.

I have formally asked my union to approach my workplace (a local authority) and request they ussue a statement of sympathy for Sabina Nessa, Bibaa Henry, Nicola Smallman and Sarah Everard, and others, and to publicly commit to ensuring that the women and girls in their borough will be safe and protected, esp from those men in positions of power. Also to seek assurances from the police in the borough how they will protect women and girls. We will be formally approaching them next week.

I have also requested the union do the same. That neither had done so already just didn't surprise me.
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Good stuff, Marth. I mean, that it's necessary is appalling but, yeah.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Disco wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:46 pm It's just so awful. That poor woman. Her poor family. Surely this can't have been his first attempt at rape and murder.
Given his nickname was 'rapist' I agree too. You don't jump straight to rape and murder, there is a levelling up so to speak.

I hope it's being looked into and that women who have suffered at his hands can get some justice too.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

Christ the “Rapist” nickname - Met, you absofuckinglutely should be collectively cringing now. I was also aghast that a conviction for indecent exposure doesn’t mean you’re banned from the police. You’d be banned from a responsible role in the City for that, and look at the power and influence the police wield. They need to do better.

I saw a tweet from the real Colin Sutton (Martin Clunes in ManHunt) saying that he’d always felt a professional detachment in all his cases, but not in this one, he just felt hatred. I just felt sick for her family.

I was pondering in my mind what I’d do if it was now, and I was in Sarah Everard’s shoes. The best I could think of was to insist on taking a photo of their warrant card and texting it to someone else before accompanying a solo police officer anywhere (I did this once when in a black cab and feeling concerned about the driver), but then there’s no guarantee they won’t consider that being resistant, and…they hold too many cards to not feel insecure.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The balance of power is just such a headfuck. All the (shitty) rules we've all grown up with go out the window when you're dealing with someone who has the notional power to order you to comply.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Or is simply much, much stronger.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I am utterly sickened by this.

I would have got in the car, I also wouldn’t have done anything if I’d seen a lone woman being handcuffed and put in a car. I’d do something now though.

The Met needs to have a full review and Cressida Dick needs to go.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Woman’s hour had a good if somewhat depressing section on this today. Apparently, crap cops can get a transfer without question. This is what they do when they are close to being found out.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I am also so fucking sick of the men muscling in on this with all the not all men and men get murdered too bullshit. Sit down, shut up, listen. I am verging on full Falling Down.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Mountain Goat wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 pm I am also so fucking sick of the men muscling in on this with all the not all men and men get murdered too bullshit. Sit down, shut up, listen. I am verging on full Falling Down.
That's now been joined with "not all male police officers". :ella: