York

sally maclennane

York

Post by sally maclennane »

We have a few days off in November and are thinking about York. Does anyone have any nice hotel recommendations in the centre? And also restaurants?

Ideally it would be a hotel with parking but that's not a deal breaker. The last hotel we went to was shit so I'm a bit paranoid about booking somewhere again.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
geek_kitten

Re: York

Post by geek_kitten »

I highly recommend skosh for food. Or at least it was great when I was last there, about four years ago.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I can’t recommend a nice one as the last time I stayed in a dive too. An expensive one at that!

However, I can stop you making the same mistake - don’t stay in Judges!

Edited - it seems to have had a make over and a price drop so that might not be a valid warning any more. However,
It did have a late bar that had live bands playing every weekend that went in to the early hours and could be clearly heard in the minster view Windows.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

What type of food do you like? Lots of new restaurants opened up on Walmgate/Fossgate in the past few years. I can recomend The Chopping Block and the Blue Barbakan. If you like street food then Spark is worth a trip as well as The Shambles market. There is talk of making this more a night market as well.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Oh and as for parking it's a bit of a nightmare in the centre. The Grange Hotel is reopening very soon (Bootham) and there are quite a few B &B s in that part.
If you do plan to come then I'd advise getting this booked as soon as possible. Assuming it's on the St Nicolas Fair starts around 18th Nov and gets really busy.
sally maclennane

I like most stuff but particularly Italian, Thai, steaks, gastropubs kinda thing.

ETA: its the weekend before that, Wiggle, 12th -15th.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Ah okay, we avoid the city centre during the fair, we can't get around to do our errands.

For Thai we enjoyed Phranakohn lots of small tapas style dishes. a friend of mine loves Yuzu Street Food but we've not had chance to go yet.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

geek_kitten wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:04 pm I highly recommend skosh for food. Or at least it was great when I was last there, about four years ago.
I've heard lots of good reviews for skosh too. It's in my very long list of places to visit
Luce

Post by Luce »

Judges Lodgings is gorgeous and right in the centre but no parking. I’m surprised people didn’t like it! The bar downstairs is lovely too. Although I’ve not stayed there since about 2018. The Principal, however, does have parking and is my absolute favourite place to stay. Right by the train station, right by the walls, really bloody lovely.

York in November is my most favourite time/place combo, we go every year. I’m so jealous!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

This sounds lovely. Last time I went & stayed in a hotel, it was at The Minster Hotel on Bootham. I remember there being parking. It was a nice breakfast. Generally I stay with my oldest friend from school though, that time was for a conference.
sally maclennane

Luce wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:59 pm The Principal, however, does have parking and is my absolute favourite place to stay. Right by the train station, right by the walls, really bloody lovely.
Sadly, the recent reviews are not good :(
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh, that's a shame! We've stayed there a couple of times, the last time was June and it was lovely! But now I have recommendation fear so please ignore me! :))
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Lucia is da bomb according to my eldest offspring but needs booking in advance, its not posh, but very, very popular. For cocktails she says Ate O'clock, but its a set menu so probably not what you are after, and D'vine for a better class of cocktail after dinner.

She has a good eye for this stuff but is also much younger than we are, natch. :))
sally maclennane

Luce wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:29 pm Oh, that's a shame! We've stayed there a couple of times, the last time was June and it was lovely! But now I have recommendation fear so please ignore me! :))
It seems to have changed hands recently.

Cheers Mog, it's good to have a youngster's recommendation :))
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

We stayed at the Marriott a few years ago, I don’t remember the hotel itself being anything special, but it does have parking and the breakfast was excellent :)).
Luce

Post by Luce »

Grays Court Hotel has the most lovely location although it is £££s. I’ve never stayed over night but it’s a lovely place to drop down from the walls into for a drink at their bar.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My friend Hannah recommended Marmaduke’s to me, but it’s since been refurbished & renamed to Clementine House. Looks lovely from the pictures.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh, The Whippet Inn did the best pub roast dinner I've ever had. All about the gravy. It looks a bit weird from the outside but is magical on the inside.
sally maclennane

Luce wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:01 am Grays Court Hotel has the most lovely location although it is £££s. I’ve never stayed over night but it’s a lovely place to drop down from the walls into for a drink at their bar.
I was very tempted to book here but they had no availability for the Friday night which probably just as well given the cost :mog: We'll definitely go for a drink there though. And I love the sound of the Whippet!

Thanks Squirrel, I'll check out the Marriott!
sally maclennane

Luce wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 am Oh, The Whippet Inn did the best pub roast dinner I've ever had. All about the gravy. It looks a bit weird from the outside but is magical on the inside.
Luce, thank you so much for recommending the Whippet, we have just been there for a late Sunday dinner and it was fab! So tasty!