Date my photo comedy challenge thread

Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Re: Date my photo comedy challenge thread

Post by Leap »

Oh I just accessed mine again to put an ancient photo on Instagram, but I didn’t read the warnings as I thought it was just trying to make me pay.

I don’t have anything that’s such a good mix of clues, but here is a Handbag fashion hive mind choice I made if anyone (I’m mainly thinking Pip :)) ) remembers these or can just make a good guess at dating them. Someone posted them, someone else mentioned they were massively discounted and then loads of us bought them. Year for the points, bonus for the brand? I have no prize unless anyone wants to see a picture of my brother in a kilt which is also in there :))
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:12 am Photobucket are shutting down free hosting, forcing me to empty out a couple of elderly and pretty much abandoned accounts, from those days in the dim and distant past when you used to have to host a photo somewhere to post it on a message board. Or get told off for hot linking. :love2: There were some *interesting* things in there. Wedding pictures for a start. :look: But also this, below. :))

Obviously, you could probably date this by downloading it and poking in properties, but that's against the spirit of the game. You need to use the ancient tech, plus the fact that it's been illegal to sell packs of fags in 10s for ages, not to mention packs of fags with *actual* branding. :)) Guess the year, month as a bonus.

Please also add your own photos for the DATING CHALLENGE. Closest to actual date of mine by the end of the day wins a picture of Pix in her new bed. :))
Not the point of the thread, but I want the bag.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Omg a blackberry. Are the shoes 1997?

Mine:
Malan
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

2011 for the year Marth, maybe October again from the leaves?

Those shoes :)) How many broken ankles resulted?
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Mine was bang on October 2007. And probably stopped on the slip road to the M60 from the M602. I did the same journey yesterday with work phone and my phone and much less nice handbag. And no fags. :))
Smunder Woman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:47 am Not the point of the thread, but I want the bag.
I have never had a handbag as nice since. :cry:

Leap, at some point they'll stop warning you and cut your access off until you pay. FYI. :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:03 am 2011 for the year Marth, maybe October again from the leaves?

Those shoes :)) How many broken ankles resulted?
Yes. Photo taken by me as I passed for work, November 2011.
Malan
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:03 am Pip is closest and has the month bang on. :)) It was the Peugeot (RIP), not a Ka, though. And the handbag was bought as second choice after I was toying with a ridiculously expensive one then Mojo said 'for that amount of money I'd follow you round carrying your fags'. I think it came from Jigsaw, back when I used to pass through the Corn Exchange on the way home from work.

I also think we need more digging in other people's archives now, we've nearly exhausted the potential of dating a Blackberry. :)) Oh, and the other phone was some ridiculous PDA. :mog:
Did I? :lol: my handbag spending threshold has increased somewhat in the last 10 years or so - clearly your fault :))

No fags? Are you vaping these days?
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

Also, I still miss having a blackberry :cry:
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

13 years in and I still can’t type on an iPhone :cry:
Disco

Post by Disco »

I had no idea that cigarettes were no longer sold in packs of ten!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Leap, I think I had a pair of those shoes!

Gone are the days when I could walk in heels that high, so it was probably a while ago. 2006? No idea, really. I can't remember buying them, or whether they were inspired by a HB thread, but I will say Clarks for the brand.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

2004 for the shoes?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Were the shoes from New Look?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Froozy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 am I was just reminiscing about asking for 20 Marlboro lights in France and getting that particular look the french keep for moronic brits :))
What's wrong with 20 Malboro lights?!
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

In French you ask for 1 (packet of) fags, not 20 (cigarettes).
If you ask for 20 Malboro you'd get 20 packets.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Marlboro Gold now isn't it?

I was going to say New Look for the shoes too. I had something very similair when I was a bridesmaid in 2005.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

SunnyMum wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm In French you ask for 1 (packet of) fags, not 20 (cigarettes).
Ah right :lol: I've never smoked. Brits wanting 20 packets (how many are in a "cartouche"?) must have happened relatively frequently any way :))
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

ParisGal wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:44 pm
SunnyMum wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:39 pm In French you ask for 1 (packet of) fags, not 20 (cigarettes).
Ah right :lol: I've never smoked. Brits wanting 20 packets (how many are in a "cartouche"?) must have happened relatively frequently any way :))
Yes, exactly that. I imagine my being obviously forrin had a lot to do with the response I got :))

I think in those days you possibly got your job lot of fags in duty free but it must have been on the cusp of EU-ness.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

mojojojo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:47 am No fags? Are you vaping these days?
Nah, I just quit. :mrgreen:

When abroad I just used to hold up my existing fag packet and say please in roughly the right language, like the desperate addict I was. :)) The Dolomites was fun, but between me and the woman in Spar who spoke mostly Ladin we managed her explaining I could only buy fags in the pub and me gratefully accepting this.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I do not recognise the shoes but I'm going for 2007.