Festive table decorations

Little My

Festive table decorations

Post by Little My »

I am in the market for a new tablecloth. And since the puppy has literally eaten all of our placemats, I need to buy those too. :mad:

Which made me think about table decorations. What do you do for centrepieces for Christmas? Pics would be super helpful. I want to get nice new things instead of cobbling something together at the last minute. I am a fan of candles, but real foliage is problematic with cats.

I usually task a child with place cards. We do crackers, obviously. ( :uhh: ).
Squirrel

Re: Festive table decorations

Post by Squirrel »

I would like to see these too. I use a (hideous!) tablecloth that my mum made with matching napkins, beautiful antique plates that don’t go at all with the hideous tablecloth, and ugly red mats that I must have been having some sort of hormonal moment when I bought them :mog:. Oh, and gold beaded coasters that are tacky but I like them. Nothing goes with the rest and there’s no room for a nice centrepiece. It’s a festive mess :lol:.
Little My

Post by Little My »

:mog:
Little My

Post by Little My »

In all seriousness though, are you attached to anything other than your coasters?

I won't buy a special xmas tablecloth. I plan to keep that neutral so I can use it throughout the year. :minimalist:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I never seem to have room for much in the way of table decorations because we serve christmas dinner (and most other meals) family style.

I do napkins and place cards (I have place card holders too). I am pondering a table cloth this year for the first time ever - I saw a gorgeous dark green linen one in H&M.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Little My wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:15 pm In all seriousness though, are you attached to anything other than your coasters?
Actually I would happily ditch the coasters and ugly mats but I love the plates and the tablecloth has sentimental value. They will never go together though!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Beatrix wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:25 pm We have a plain white tablecloth, red cloth napkins with holly napkin rings. The centre piece is a wooden wreath (lots of leaves in shades of green) laid flat with a pillar candle in the middle. I’ve got a candelabra I use, too, modern not one with a million arms.
This sounds lovely!
Little My

Post by Little My »

I have a wider table this year, hence the need for a new tablecloth, so I have a little bit more room. We serve the food on the table too so I still need to keep a smallish footprint with the centrepiece. A modern candelabra sounds lovely.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Squirrel wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:56 pm
Little My wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:15 pm In all seriousness though, are you attached to anything other than your coasters?
Actually I would happily ditch the coasters and ugly mats but I love the plates and the tablecloth has sentimental value. They will never go together though!
That doesn't matter. Christmas should be about sentiment and the things you love, not perfection!
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Usually a white tablecloth and white napkins. Sometimes a centerpiece, sometimes candles...depends on how many people are round the table and how much room we need for plates/bowls etc.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

My friend gave me a hideous candelabrum as a wedding present, and we literally only get it out on Christmas Day :)).
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Please show us, Ella!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I will- remind me at Christmas though because it’s in storage. (I feel bad- she meant well.)