Show your (craft)work

Incorporating hobbies, computer games, Verm's Interesting Links and anything else you can think of excluding football and other spectator sports because these belong in the Sport section, but allowing sports you play yourself with your own body as that counts as a pastime.
Shoe

Re: Show your (craft)work

Post by Shoe »

And it's bloody amazing, I love it. :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

:humble: :mrgreen:

Also these. We made the sparkly blue things into keyrings. My sister got a soap dish but has said she and her husband are going to use it as a jewellery dish instead.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The girls got a dress (Elvis) and nightie (Sproglette) and a little crochet raffia bag.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Oh she looks absolutely thrilled. The dress looks like it would be very twirly.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I've been making baby stuff for R's 4-month-old grandson. D and his partner love dressing him up and, last time we were there, D dropped a heavy hint that he would like a rock star outfit for his son. He showed me a photo of David Bowie in a turquoise and gold, baroque-pattern suit. I couldn't find anything remotely similar, so I made him a little Elvis outfit instead. The dark thing inside, is a little wrap-over top made of silky satin lining fabric. It's meant to look like a scarf, worn under the 'jumpsuit', which - in true Elvis style - only zips up halfway. Poor child. :lol:
baby-elvis.jpg
I made this romper suit back in September, but I misjudged the size so badly that I was embarrassed to hand it over. The pattern sizes unhelpfully go from XSM to XL, without much guidance as to age. D's partner, L, mentioned that she found zip-up rompers much easier than the traditional snaps around the crotch. I couldn't find a pattern for a zip-up romper, so I adapted one using photos of shop-bought zipped ones. (The zip does go right down to the foot.) :))
B5585-romper-and-tshirt.jpg
b5585-romper-zip-adaptation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

They are so cute!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The Elvis outfit! That is so cute. I love the idea of the zipped romper too.
rosy

Post by rosy »

They are so cute, and impressive pattern matching too!
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’ve been playing around with some cheap polymer clay I got for Christmas and Betty asked for some rainbow (specially lesbian rainbow) earrings. I love how they’ve turned out and I’m eager to make more. Despite the size they are very light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Lovely earrings, and all the sewing continues to really impress me.
Malan
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The Elvis outfit is so cute. What was the reaction to the off-brief result? I hope they liked it.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

wendy james wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:29 am The Elvis outfit is so cute. What was the reaction to the off-brief result? I hope they liked it.
Alas, it will be a while until I know, as the post is so slow from here. I've wrapped it as carefully as I could in tissue, but I'm very afraid that all the stones will fall off in the post. It was meant to be handed over, in person, at Christmas. :cry:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Stash pants. :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

Wow. Those pants are great!

I've booked a sewing machine service. They come to your home and service in their van outside!
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Do you know approximately how much it'll be, Marth? I enquired at a sewing shop - apparently "the man from the market" picks the machines up from them, so it shouldn't have put me off that she blankly stared at me and had never heard of Necchi. She said around 80€ which is probably reasonable.

I love the pants and have long been thinking of trying some for myself - I have a couple of old pairs that fit perfectly but are on their way out. Wendy, is it just normal ribbed knit fabric for the "bindings"? I'm not great at sewing elastic, probably moreso knicker elastic.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

That sounds handy Marth!

I can drop mine at the local shop and a man collects/drops off but it’s all a bit vague I prefer to take them into Bath where I know what the service will cost and when I can collect.

The pattern I use has options for elasticated or jersey bands and I always do the latter.

I made myself some this week (not pictured) using the low rise option and they’re great. The high rise is a bit belly warmer like.

https://www.wavesandwild.com/shop/wonder-undies-ww/
Marth

Post by Marth »

They have quoted £60 to me for the service. Someone at the sewing group used them and was very complimentary. Hopefully it's good as not having a car makes lugging stuff like sewing machines around a right pain in a arris.
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

You are good, getting your machines serviced. I've only ever sent my overlocker away. :look: :lol:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Thanks, Wendy 'n' Marth :) My machine was my granny's, I've done my best with cleaning it out and oiling it, but it's starting to get a bit miss-y and certainly hasn't been serviced in at least 30 years. Quite probably more like 40 or 50 - I don't remember Granny ever sewing or mentioning sewing in my life time.
Marth

Post by Marth »

My machine is around 20 years old. I got it when a friend and I were making and selling things at Spitalfields market on East London when sb1 and her son were tiny babbies. Actually I think it's probably more like 23 years old. I haven't maintained it and it's pulling stitches etc.

It's so lovely having your grannies machine
Malan