Book Notes

Ella77

Re: Book Notes

Post by Ella77 »

Whisper Network was really good.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I’ve done exactly the same as I did last time I listened to a Lianne Moriarty (got tired of the ‘suspense’* and googled for the end). I only know this because I looked up my posts on the 2020 book thread as it seemed familiar. :lol:

I have a non-fiction book from the library - The Radium Girls - as well as the second Richard Osman.

(*also tennis, migraines and general whining but that’s specific to this book)
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

The Radium Girls sounds fascinating, Wendy. They were minor slebs, IIRC. Let me know what you think of it.

I'm also getting on with some non fiction: Give Birth Like a Feminist and The Roar Behind the Silence. Possibly not hugely interesting to most :))

I wouldn't recommend The Ladies Midnight Swimming Club. It wasn't badly written but twee and hugely predictable.
dizzyd
Englebert Humperdizz

Post by dizzyd »

I've just started my second book this year and considering I only read 5 last year that's a big achievement - Rachel's holiday :sheep:
My nail blog - you can also link to my instagram account through there
http://naildart.blogspot.co.uk
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

My copy of Rachel's Holiday arrived! I ordered it from WOB and also got A Fine Balance (because I can't find my copy and it had a note in it :( ) and Everything I Never Told You because there was 20% off if you order three. I think I got them all for less than £10 and they arrived fast too.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Loralei wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:08 am

I wouldn't recommend The Ladies Midnight Swimming Club. It wasn't badly written but twee and hugely predictable.
I am totally here for this sort of review.

I’m reading Rachel’s Holiday, like the turtle sheep I am. It’s years since I read any Marian Keyes and I’m enjoying it.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on The Radium Girls too Wedndle.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I shall report back. I came across it as I want to read another of the author's books (about Elizabeth Packard) but the library don't have it listed.
Disco

Post by Disco »

She sounds brilliant. How fascinating! I'm going to look into her more.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 am Whisper Network was really good.
I really enjoyed that but still haven’t started The Husbands as I’m worried it might make me go off in a murderous rampage.

I’ve finished The Mountains Sing which follows a Vietnamese family over 100 years. It’s beautifully written but not the most uplifting book I could have kicked the year off with.

I’ve got Bella Mackie How to kill your family lined up next. I’m also debating whether the Seven Sisters series is my bag.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I gave up on the Seven Sisters series after about sister four. I was finding them very repetitive by that stage.

I'm down an Agatha Christie Miss Marple path and fear I may never get out. They are exactly what I need at the moment.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I just reread all the Marples. :love: :dotty: I was ill before Christmas and they were perfect.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Jupiter wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:23 pm I gave up on the Seven Sisters series after about sister four. I was finding them very repetitive by that stage.
They are a bit repetitive, but they are a nice, light read, and I am enjoying them. I’m up to sister six, I think, and I think I really need to see how they end now. :lol:

I read series like this now interspersed with other books/series, so I come back to them every so many books, makes them a bit less repetitive.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

olive wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:14 pm
Ella77 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 am Whisper Network was really good.
I really enjoyed that but still haven’t started The Husbands as I’m worried it might make me go off in a murderous rampage.
I recognised that stuff but it didn’t bother me too much, although I’m well aware that I skip an easy 85% of male partner bullshit through not having children, so I may not be a good judge. It is very much on women’s side.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Kenickie wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:26 pm I just reread all the Marples. :love: :dotty: I was ill before Christmas and they were perfect.
It's a murder hug in a book :love:
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Hobbes wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:32 pm
Jupiter wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:23 pm I gave up on the Seven Sisters series after about sister four. I was finding them very repetitive by that stage.
They are a bit repetitive, but they are a nice, light read, and I am enjoying them. I’m up to sister six, I think, and I think I really need to see how they end now. :lol:
I didn't really find them too repetitive on the one hand because each book was set in a different country/culture and the author obviously did her research very well. I learnt something new from every book, which I liked. On the other hand, the themes and the ever-recurring life at Atlanta became a bit tiresome. I've read all 7 but there's still a final book to come about Pa Salt which will be published posthumously, as she died last year.

I'm still reading The Break by Marian Keyes and enjoying it tremendously.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Just finished The Impossible Truths of Love by Hannah Beckerman. It was pretty average. Onto Educated by Tara Westover now.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've just finished Rachel's Holiday. Found it a nice easy read. Good to read in bed.

I'm now reading Luster by Raven Leilani. It took a few chapters to adapt to the change in writing and content after Rachel's Holiday, but I'm really enjoying it now.
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it, Marth! I found it quite an uncomfortable read - very confronting. I loved the writing style and dark humour.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished Rachel's Holiday too, and I enjoyed it.

Now reading Lemn Sissay's autobiography, I've been meaning to read it for a while as I've listened to a few of his Ted talks and read some articles by him.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse