People management training

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

People management training

Post by Kenickie »

I'm new to managing a team of people, and my work doesn't actually have any training to support this. Has anyone done anything they'd recommend? I don't want a qualification, but I want something that will give me some practical pointers and advice.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Dandelion

Re: People management training

Post by Dandelion »

Ooh, I would be interested in this too. I am about to move up to Head of Sales and I have never managed a single person, let alone a team before. Being a start up, there is sweet FA in terms of training or support.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

The only thing I’ve done was a course aimed at librarian middle managers but was great. It took us through change management, negotiating skills, something called the Strengths Deployment Index, feedback and communication.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I haven’t read it yet but someone recommended a book to me called The Making of a Manager by Julie Zhuo.

I am also hopefully getting a minion to manage too :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, Lola.

That sounds like the kind of thing I want, Pip.

I should say, I'm happy to get my work to actually pay for something, but there is loads of stuff out there and I don't know how good any of it is.

Congrats on the promotion, Dande!
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Thanks. It’s not quite in the bag yet, but it’s sounding good!
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I’ve just done a course run by the Australian Institute of Management on how to have effective performance conversations with staff which was pretty good. I do have a team I manage now and I feel that training around that (and other associated responsibilities that come with the role like HR and financial delegations) is lacking.

I’ll have a look at that book too, Pip.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:02 pm The only thing I’ve done was a course aimed at librarian middle managers but was great. It took us through change management, negotiating skills, something called the Strengths Deployment Index, feedback and communication.
What was this, Pip?

Ken, I'm in the same boat. I'm managing a team of 7 and completely winging it right now. It's an incredibly stressful approach to take. I'd love to find something practical, but generally loathe most staff training. I only lasted 30 minutes with a coach before we decided it wasn't going to work out :look:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I understand the concept but have not ever been on a specific course though I have managed lots of teams through the years and also had to manage "upwards" in start up companies. I found manage upwards really easy actually as almost always men that need to pull in their egos and think what it takes to get "people" to deliver what they need to to make the product/service a success (I am Finance background so not doing the job of these people).

Teams wise - manage how you want to be managed is a good start - company wide, listen and take on board ideas that will move the business forward. Specific discipline teams - help to share ideas, invest in process so that people know what they should be doing (infrastructure is good), listen always, be responsible and have the back of your team member - always tell mine if you F'd up tell me first as I probably can help/mitigate before it is a wider issue), be kind.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Beena wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:17 pm
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:02 pm The only thing I’ve done was a course aimed at librarian middle managers but was great. It took us through change management, negotiating skills, something called the Strengths Deployment Index, feedback and communication.
What was this, Pip?
It’s an East Midlands thing called Motivate, Learn, Lead. It was hands down the best CPD I have ever ever done.

https://www.liem.org.uk/training/motivate-learn-lead/
Beena

Post by Beena »

Thanks Pip. I will have a look. There may be something similar online.

Ken, a few of my colleagues have been through Advanced HE Aurora - is that any use? I need to get over my po-faced attitude towards these things, though I do think coaching/mentoring might be the way forward if I can find someone. The last chap is a lovely bloke, but is also Textbook Manager with a strategy up every sleeve and a 10 point process (with accompanying flow chart and weighting scale) for every decision.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks Annabella, useful tips!

I've done Aurora, but it's more about general thinking about leadership, and I want something that's more specific, practical stuff about managing.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The "Manage how you want to be managed" thing is interesting. Obviously in the broad sense it's true - don't be shitty to people, treat them decently etc. But what personality profiling tools like SDI and Insights and DiSC look at is that actually "manage people how THEY want to be managed" is a better maxim.

Because what you like in a management style is almost certainly not what everyone else does: everyone works differently and communicates differently and likes to be communicated WITH differently. Building that knowledge (and an understanding of your own default communication style and how you might have to flex that) into how you deal with eg performance management and feedback can make the more challenging conversations and situations a bit easier.

Obviously ;) I'm going to say that a course which includes getting a chance to safely practise what you learn and get feedback from someone who is not a colleague/another delegate (if it was an open course) is a good idea but I know experiential stuff isn't for everyone.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's a good point.

I'd be happy with experiential stuff - although I'm not sure if that would be more difficult to do as my work paying for me to do something as an individual as opposed to them getting someone in to do something for lots of people.

Pip's thing looks ideal, I need a good version of that for people who aren't librarians. The trouble with that is that there's so many people offering training in this kind of thing, but it's hard to know what might actually be good and what is bobbins.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I did most of my training internally, apart from a college based diploma, which doesn't really help you. If you fancy a book while trying to find a course, I usually found Jo Owen's books quite pragmatic. I don't have a copy of How to Manage that I could lend you (only How to Lead) but you might be able to get it from the library?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 am The "Manage how you want to be managed" thing is interesting. Obviously in the broad sense it's true - don't be shitty to people, treat them decently etc. But what personality profiling tools like SDI and Insights and DiSC look at is that actually "manage people how THEY want to be managed" is a better maxim.

Because what you like in a management style is almost certainly not what everyone else does: everyone works differently and communicates differently and likes to be communicated WITH differently. Building that knowledge (and an understanding of your own default communication style and how you might have to flex that) into how you deal with eg performance management and feedback can make the more challenging conversations and situations a bit easier.
This is one of the most important things I've learned as a manager. I hate to be micromanaged, and generally like to be given the space to make my own decisions so I assumed that everyone I managed also wanted this. It took me some time to realise that this was NOT the case (people are different, who knew? :lol: ) and that what I thought was good management was actually causing some people stress :look:

I also think it's really important to model behaviour so for example, I am very strict about not emailing people outside of contracted hours. Again though even that can vary as I think you like work different hours so I guess it's just being clear that you recognise some folk might want to do the same as you. Also I think that having small children means you can set a really good example eg of taking time out to go to school plays or whatever (sorry if you don't want to do that but you know what I mean :lol: ) So many of my friends with kids have said its so helpful if their manager takes time to do stuff like that, they feel much more comfortable about doing it too.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Kenickie wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm I'd be happy with experiential stuff - although I'm not sure if that would be more difficult to do as my work paying for me to do something as an individual as opposed to them getting someone in to do something for lots of people.
Yeah, it's harder when it's just you. There are open courses out there but I've never been involved with one as an actor and I can imagine working alongside total strangers rather than colleague might be offputting.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

ACAS do a lot of courses on managing, they are virtual. I have done one or two and they are very good, worth a look at