Film 2022

Lily
Picker-Lily

Film 2022

Post by Lily »

I'm starting the new year with a horror binge thanks to a trial of Shudder, Amazon's horror channel. So far I have hidden behind my jersey sleeve watching Host, Lake Mungo and His House, all of which I thoroughly recommend. However, don't watch them alone if you have a choice.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
wendy james

Re: Film 2022

Post by wendy james »

We watched Eternals now it’s on Disney+. I’m glad we didn’t go to the cinema to see it. The girls were exited to see Harish Patel (Raj from the David Walliams adaptations) though. :lol:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I loved Matrix Resurrections. Though I spent the first hour understanding about as much as I did the first hour of Inception. I kept wanting to go "I have questions!" I maintain Old Keanu is better than Young Keanu.

We also recently binned Don't Look Up after an hour and a half and that was persevering at least an hour too long.

I'm trying to plan my week so I can fit in Memoria at some point. Tilda. :love2:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I watched it yesterday afternoon, I did enjoy it but the experience was somewhat marred by the behaviour of a group of c20 year olds who I think might have been French? who seemed to think it was acceptable behaviour to continually run in and out to the loo and bar and to chatter audibly to each other throughout the entire movie.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I agree that old Keanu is better. Mainly due to hair and beard, possibly young Keanu with hair and beard might be a yet further improvement.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I think I'd need to watch the first 3 Matrix films again (and can, as we have them on DVD) but I just don't have the time. :mrgreen:
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Bat Macdui wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 pm I loved Matrix Resurrections. Though I spent the first hour understanding about as much as I did the first hour of Inception. I kept wanting to go "I have questions!" I maintain Old Keanu is better than Young Keanu.
Is that to do with your age though? I would feel pervy liking Young Keanu now as he's many decades my junior. :lol:

I didn't like the new Matrix, Keanu aside, I just didn't know what was going on and then there was flying. :ella:

I saw Antlers at the weekend, that was weird and creepy but ended a bit abruptly.
Luna

Post by Luna »

We watched Ghostbusters:afterlife and loved it. So many nice touches in it and the teens are fabulous.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

I went to the cinema to see that Luna, my first visit in two years and I was the only person in the screening. Also the only person in the whole building it seemed, when I arrived there were no popcorn sellers or ticket checkers either. It was mega-creepy. The film was worth it though, I really enjoyed it especially the little Stay-pufts.
Luna

Post by Luna »

My god, that sounds really creepy. I think I might have left!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I just watched The Alpinist which was very compelling. If you enjoyed Free Solo then I’d definitely recommend it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I finally watched Matrix Resurrection, and overall I quite enjoyed it. Despite watching a few trailers and seeing some of the press, I’d managed somehow not to spoiler myself too much, so wasn’t sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by and liked how much original trilogy footage was worked into the new film - ultimately very clever. I think I can understand why some people were disappointed, but to pull off a funny, self-referential, stylish and narratively satisfying fourth film in a trilogy that changed film making, is pretty great. Plus Keanu obvs. I’ll not hear a bad word.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I saw that at the film festival (premiere with George and Amal!) last year, Beatrix, and thought much the same. Not a groundbreaking watch but a largely feel good one. It was nice to watch something that wasn’t harrowing in any way.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Tabitha wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am
Bat Macdui wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:17 pm I loved Matrix Resurrections. Though I spent the first hour understanding about as much as I did the first hour of Inception. I kept wanting to go "I have questions!" I maintain Old Keanu is better than Young Keanu.
Is that to do with your age though? I would feel pervy liking Young Keanu now as he's many decades my junior. :lol:
Valid point. Related: if I watch Point Break again, will I regret it? I can't decide if it was 'of it's time.'

We watched Kingsman, which is Ralph Fiennes having a mid life crisis. :lg: Enjoyable, but not too exciting. I like Rhys Ifans enjoying himself as Rasputin and then spent all the way home trying to find the 'It's a fucking Cobra' clip from Twin Town, much to R's bemusement. It amazes me that we grew up about 20 miles apart at the same time yet have such vastly different cultural references.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Tonight’s film was the new Lena Dunham, Sharp Sticks. I guess it’s a sort of coming of age, loss of innocence type story, that skewers a few CA stereotypes along the way. But as a story it essentially revolves around sex. There’s some stylish camera work with a bit of animation thrown in, quirky fashion, a few cringe moments, so ticking all the Dunham boxes. That said some of the acting was quite good.

Quite a contrast to what I watched yesterday, which was a new film called Living, with Bill Nighy in lead. It’s apparently a remake of a classic Japanese film into what is now a very British film, set in the 1950s I think, and centred around the London post-war reconstruction planning department. It’s a fairly slow, gentle, heartwarming story. Really beautifully filmed in and around County Hall, and great costume design. I enjoyed it, though there’s a bit of rose tinted nostalgia. I actually really loved the score, lovely orchestration and lush strings. I would be surprised in old Bill got an award nod or two, and the production work deserves some recognition too.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:00 am
Valid point. Related: if I watch Point Break again, will I regret it? I can't decide if it was 'of it's time.'
I watched it last year and it hasn’t aged that badly.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Bats! I watched Point Break a couple of weeks ago for the first time and loved it :love2: (for ridiculousness, obvs). Watch it.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I quite want to watch Sharp Sticks Epp, mostly for my huge crush on Jon Bernthal.

Also I watched Love and Monsters recently and really enjoyed that. It was sweet and silly.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I shall add Point Break to my 'nights in' films for when R's got a run of nights. :)) List also includes rewatch of Jurassic Park, Con Air and possibly A Room with a View. :)) *varied*
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Licorice Pizza. That was as mad as box of frogs.