Hey! Good lookin’!

Estrella

Re: Hey! Good lookin’!

Post by Estrella »

That looks great, Pip.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I am lowering the tone with my offering, as the photo is straight out of the air fryer in a tin that was free with butter, so very unstylishly presented, but it was really good and took next to no preparation. I didn't take a photo of it on the table, which would have been better.

I stirred some bought pesto and a bit of OO into a bag of frozen Mediterranean veg, and air fried them, whilst the potatoes cooked in the microwave. Then I half sliced a block of halloumi (hassleback style) brushed the top with a very little bit of oil and put it in above the veg. Finally, I added the cooked potatoes to crisp the skin and that, as they say, was that. Maybe 15 mins from start to finish and the only prep was scrubbing the potatoes :))

tempImage9BJ9Xi.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Percy Pig! That's fantastic, Pip! Happy Birthday to Chuck :)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I made a grilled peach, goats cheese & hazelnut salad for lunch today.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

That’s a nice looking salad Pip, though I will pass on the hazelnuts, thanks.

Actually this reminds me. As it is stone fruit season, who has the trick for successfully destoning a peach or nectarine so that you have two nice halves with a divot in the middle, and not a mangled pulp in one’s hands, and hot streaming tears of frustration on one’s face?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I saw a video on Insta of someone taking out pits with pliers! It looked like it worked pretty well but they were a particularly pointy pair of pliers.

Make sure you buy freestone rather than clingstone varieties if you want to get the pits out easily.

Pip’s salad reminds me of an amazing one we had in Seville: tomato and fig salad with parmesan crisps and jamon iberico. Definitely going to recreate that at home.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Yeah, I reckon the peach thing is about the fruit more than the technique. I've had some delicious ones recently that just popped off the pit :love:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Definitely! We’ve had some amazing yellow plums in Spain and the stones have just popped out. The flat white peaches have been amazing too but you can’t get the stone out and have to eat around them.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

For Pip, the pink fish on the grill with some long green peppers. The bossy woman was of course quite correct, they were delicious and very similar to bream. All six were just over 4€! I can’t get over how cheap food is in comparison to the UK.
556494A0-9741-433B-97D0-46267607D4CF.jpeg
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Those fish look very happy to be on the grill!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

They really do :)) How long do you generally grill fish for on each side, and do you do anyhing other than a bit of oil and seasoning before you whack them on? I haven't ventured into seafood on the bbq as yet.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

They’re bone in but gutted and scaled and I popped bay leaves and lemon in the cavity. Oil, salt and on the bbq for for 8-10 mins each side for a big fish, these took less. I got the method from this and I highly recommend the whole meal: https://anewsletter.alisoneroman.com/p/ ... fish-video
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Amazing, thank you!
Lola

Post by Lola »

Rosa wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:51 am Those fish look very happy to be on the grill!
Yes, “please eat me” :mrgreen:
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

emma_p wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:22 am

Make sure you buy freestone rather than clingstone varieties if you want to get the pits out easily.
I was today years old when I learned that this is a thing! How do you know? Is there a way to tell?? I have NEVER seen this mentioned on signage when buying peaches or nectarines. Never.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I need to add hazelnuts to more meals.

Eating is currently cheating so black cherry sour is being consumed while I make carbonara. I had a spare egg white hence the sour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Nice one Dic.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Some of the dishes from a recent magazine. Their photos are better, obviously. :))
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Those all look/sound lovely, I would particularly like to try the pancakes :ready:.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

https://www.merchant-gourmet.com/blogs/ ... a-pancakes

I didn't bother with the MG grains - just rolled them up with the veg and spread the peanut sauce on top.