Financial adviser? (Topcat)

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Financial adviser? (Topcat)

Post by Marth »

Hello. This is what I wanted to ask TC but couldn't find the thread :lol:

I'm buying a house with the bloke. Its complicated as we may do it on my circs only and then he can pay me my half from the sale of his house (When it sells)

We have 5 kids between us. We are going to get married in order to try and make things slightly easier

However - we will be tenants in common for the new house, and was thinking of putting his house in both our names and being joint tenants for that so I'm not left destitute if he dies before his house sells. We want to also protect pensions, finances etc so they go to the respective kids on our deaths etc.

But we also want to will amounts to each other for house maintenance if either of us die.

Do you think this just needs a solicitor or/and financial advice first?

It's boggling my head.
Malan
wendy james

Re: Financial adviser? (Topcat)

Post by wendy james »

I have no idea, but like that you are buying together and getting married. Congratulations!
Marth

Post by Marth »

wendy james wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 am I have no idea, but like that you are buying together and getting married. Congratulations!
Thanks Wednesday. It's a Statutory marriage in the working office. Just reading the declaration and signing, two witnesses, no photos etc. 4th Jan :))
Malan
Glint

Post by Glint »

Congratulations, Marth :))
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Marth, I would say definitely speak to a solicitor. A good one should be able to give you all the options and more importantly the implications. Ours were lovely and helped us sort both our wills and also our powers of attorney. It was only because of the discussions with the solicitors that we finally decided to get married.

Congratulations in advance for your wedding!
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

An absolute gold star, never to be beaten stealth announcement :lol: I am happy for you both to be making financial commitments together :love2:

I can’t help with the nitty gritty, but my mum went through similar with her partner and decided not to get married. He sold his place and moved into hers, but they wanted to protect their separate assets and also one another, and for some reason I think the marriage thing would’ve made it harder instead of easier. He IS an FA by trade so that was a big part of the decision making process definitely.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Leap wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:13 am An absolute gold star, never to be beaten stealth announcement :lol: I am happy for you both to be making financial commitments together :love2:
This. :))

Also, good luck. R and I really need to do something similar and I should probably marry him for convenience but I honestly can't be bothered and I hated him too much this weekend to marry him. I can't remember why now, though. :)) I think it was because he didn't take an empty box out to the recycling within an appropriate timeframe.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Congratulations! I bet TC is very flattered to be included in your marriage announcement. ;)

It definitely sounds like you need a solicitor.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

As others have said, get a good solicitor to advise and draw up your will. I re-did mine a while, and I was given reasons both for and against S and I marrying. I can't remember the detail now, but I decided I wasn't going to :)).

I love that you are though! Make sure the will isn't signed until after the marriage, as this will invalidate anything prior (I'm sure you know this).
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Aww a practical wedding :love: I know nothing about the legal aspects, but I hope you get all the answers soon.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Congratulations!

I need to do something similar about my will as I own this house but J lives here. We wouldn't get married but I should update my will.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thanks all. We will get something drawn up now and then changed after the wedding, and I'll discuss with a solicitor.

The bloke now has an offer on his house (which he hopes to accept this afternoon) so hopefully we can process on both sales which will be easier, and then work out inheritances for off spring and current and future and house maintenance inheritances for us.
I needed to update the will for the children anyway and this will be a good chance to do it all
Malan
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

We did similar but my only advice would be to make sure that you both write wills. A marriage will invalidate any existing wills but I believe you can write a will in contemplation of a marriage.

Congratulations!
Marth

Post by Marth »

Tsu wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:02 pm We did similar but my only advice would be to make sure that you both write wills. A marriage will invalidate any existing wills but I believe you can write a will in contemplation of a marriage.

Congratulations!
Thanks. Wills are a definite. To me it's vitally important to have legal agreements in place. I wouldn't contemplate moving, married or not without things properly in place. There will be no joint finances either :))

Not to be harsh but I spent too long working for the CAB doing debt as well as relationship advice (practical not emotional) for things not to be totally clear and legal and protective.
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Congratulations Marth!

Your parents, Beatrix :)) That has cracked me up!
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

If your parents are smartphone friendly, they could use the settle up app instead, with a new group each month, and your mum would be saved that monthly chore Beatrix! J and I use it and it works a treat. Although we don't have a 47 year track record it's true :))

Congratulations on your fiscal management Marth :love2:
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Congratulations, Marth!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Oh! Good darts on the wedding!

That is definitely solicitor territory, what may seem like a complicated situation for you and I will be straightforward to them, they see this stuff all of the time.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Topcat wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:25 pm Oh! Good darts on the wedding!

That is definitely solicitor territory, what may seem like a complicated situation for you and I will be straightforward to them, they see this stuff all of the time.
Thanks TC.

Do you know if there is life insurance for The Old that we could possibly get that would pay out if either died?

My thinking is that we would be leaving each other without the other persons money to help towards the upkeep of the property?
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Already these people are putting the blokes name first even though he's not making the enquiries!
Malan