Where have you eaten out lately?

Blondiejude

Re: Where have you eaten out lately?

Post by Blondiejude »

Portifino’s morg? That is good (or used to be I haven’t been for years)
I agree about carluccios I never rated it much either, but then I went to Jamie’s twice when that was on the same square and it was a bit crap both times.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Re. Newcastle - I like Blackfriars very much too.

If you like Indian then Dabbawal on high bridge is nice.

Whitley Bay pavilion is also nice, and Riley’s fish shack at Tynemouth (if you like fish) - both a metro ride away.

Petit Choux does amazing cake. Six at the Baltic is also meant to be very nice with great views. There is a new one across the road too -3Sixty I think it’s called. There is also a great bar on the roof of the Vermont Hotel.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Thanks for all the Newcastle suggestions, I'm sorry we're only there for two nights now :lol:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I enjoyed some really nice food in Paris. Highlights were this mushroom starter on our river cruise, this salad plate in a cafe that only opens 2.5 hours a day and the main course of a fixed menu brunch - some sort of sweet potato dauphinois/gratin with raw Brussels sprouts based salad.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

We have a new restaurant in town! One I can sit in and order from a selection of food. :disco:

It’s Greek and this is the mezze platter I had for lunch.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I went to the Isle of Wight last weekend, so mostly ate fish. We had lunches rather than dinners out. At Salty's in Yarmouth - Grilled mackerel fillets – fennel & cucumber salad with sesame & ginger. Really fresh and light. On Sunday we went to The Beach Hut https://isleofwightbeachcafe.co.uk/index.html with was really fun - it is all outside so luckily the weather was great. I had a box with Crevettes, a prawn and lobster cocktail, and smoked trout salad, all really delicious. Final lunch at Murray's in Cowes - salmon fillet with samphire and lemon butter with new potatoes.
absley

Post by absley »

Ooh, good to know with The Beach Hut, thanks Annabella - my mum is in Sandown so that looks convenient. If you're around there, The Bandstand is decent.

I had a flurry of eating out recently, for a birthday week off. Favourites were Little Duck Picklery in Dalston, Rochelle Canteen in Shoreditch (I was last there with Rosa and emma, SO many years ago!), Chishuru in Brixton, Yard Pizza in Finsbury Patk and Elliot's at Borough (one of my fave places in London). All highly recommended.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

For our anniversary on Saturday we went to Fallow and it was fantastic.

https://www.fallowrestaurant.com/

We booked a table on the terrace, and while the restaurant fronts onto Haymarket, the terrace is around the side so very pleasant. Amazing, interesting food and incredibly attentive, knowledgeable staff. Pricey, yes but for the location and food I think worth it. We did not dare the cod head but the table next to us raved about it, and the oysters. Everything we had was great.
Last edited by Rebel Pebble on Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Ooh - that looks lovely Rebs, and right up my street.
absley

Post by absley »

Happy anniversary, Rebs! I remember loving the corn ribs. I had the cod's head there - too much for one, so definitely only order it if you have a partner in crime (I was with two squeamish folk and one who thought she wanted it, but then didn't).
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Thank you! We had the corn ribs :mrgreen:

I don't eat fish so Mr R would have been on his own, cod head wise.

The tartiflette flatbread and the smoked beef ribs were stand outs, as was the charcuterie plate but everything was delicious basically.
absley

Post by absley »

Those sound delish, I don't think I had any of them. :ready:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I went to the newly re-located (Lambs Conduit Street) Honey&Co for lunch last Wednesday. Just as fabulous as always. The new restaurant is nicely done but tables just as tightly packed and 2 hour turnover for tables. Food was delicious as normal. https://honeyandco-cdn-1.s3.eu-west-2.a ... ONLINE.pdf
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I'm glad it's still great! I always loved that building and was so happy when they opened in there!

You can make corn ribs at home! Once you've cut the corn, they're really easy.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I've got a reservation for there for in a couple of weeks :dotty:.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

A London brunch recommendation - https://kincafe.co.uk/

I had the Benedict vegan option and Elvis had pancakes (deconstructed as per our request!). The smoothies are lovely too.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

That looks great Wendy. I am a meat eater but the menu looks lush
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I haven’t been to Mildred’s for ages but I’ve had an awful day and needed to eat so splashed out. :lol:

The fake chicken kebabs were okay, I think the rice would have been better warm. The cheesecake was amazing though, probably the best vegan one I’ve had.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Sorry about your hard day.

I went to the soft opening (50% off food) of the new Dishoom in Canary Wharf (Wood Wharf) the other evening. It was absolute bedlam in terms of service :lol:. Lots of people who hadn’t had a service job before. Anyway, it was really nice apart from that, and I had their signature (CW, that is) cocktail, which was three mini martinis in tiny coupes. Very cute.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Did you get a picture of the signature cocktail?

You’d think they’d do a lot of training before opening!