Dry cat food recommendation

wendy james

Dry cat food recommendation

Post by wendy james »

Erik is no longer in need of specific diet food, though we do need to weigh out his dry cat food to ensure he doesn't overeat. I imagine this will be for life.

He meows for food A LOT and something said in Chicky's kitten thread made me wonder whether he's not getting everything needs and/or there's an addictive quality to the supermarket food we buy him.

Does anybody have recommendations for dry cat food? No special diet and he's not yet an older cat.
Cosmopolitan

Re: Dry cat food recommendation

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I've swapped our cats to Scumbles cat food and they seem much happier on it - much less puking and dodgy poops. And they really seem to enjoy it. We weigh it out (or rather they get a certain number of spoonfuls)

I will say that mine still get half a packet of wet food morning and evening and woe betide you if you are late with the wet food.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Mine get Royal Canin oral health as they are both prone to gum disease. It's high in calories though apparently, so we balance it out with Science Plan diet (or whatever it's called).

They also eat wet food because they're not good at drinking. Steve in particular will only drink from a watering can outside, which reminds me I must go and defrost it for his highness. :ella:
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Yeah, I do think that supermarket food definitely has stuff in it to make it addictive. Generally, my two eat raw, but there are times when dry is just simply more convenient. Generally, I'd say that higher meat content foods (>50% meat) fill them and are more satisfying than the supermarket brands. Ours liked Canagan and Applaws, but they are more expensive. Having said that, Tiggy has developed a bit of a sensitive stomach so I give them Royal Canon Sensible.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Tom has Purina Pro Plan biscuits and has had this since he came to us. MrW likes to feed him biscuits by hand and by orientating then at different angles it's really helped to keep Tom's teeth/gums in good health.

We once made the mistake of giving Tom wet food from Aldi. It sent him absolutely wild; running around like there was no tomorrow. After a bit of research we think it was due to the higher grain content. So now he has a pouch of Whiskas each day. When he first arrived he would wolf it down within minutes but now he's very much a grazer.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Tabitha wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:20 am
They also eat wet food because they're not good at drinking. Steve in particular will only drink from a watering can outside, which reminds me I must go and defrost it for his highness. :ella:
Yours as well?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

:mog:

We used Canagan until I had to switch them to urinary diet.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

:lol: Such idiots.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

:lol: They are so contrary.

Mine don't have dried anymore but used to have Arden Grange chicken and potato which is a decent quality (grain free)/price ratio.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Hills Science Plan Oral Care for my two. They are excessively fussy about wet food but will always eat the dry.
Luna

Post by Luna »

We recommend the Purina Pro Plan range. Willow who was the fussiest cat ever used to eat this without protest.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

We had to stop feeding Hills due to excessively smelly poo. :lol: More meat = less smell.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Mine have meowing heads - it has a high meat content and seems to keep them full for longer!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks all!

Royal Canin does an appetite control one for begging cats, so I've gone for that. Apparently "over 90% of users report less begging within 4 weeks". I have a feeling we'll be in the other 10% but worth a shot. :lol: