Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Morganna

Re: Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Post by Morganna »

I have sorted two sideboard drawers, and it's only 9.30! :frolic:.

I have done the Bad Thing of moving bags of old photos from one drawer to another, but I resisted the temptation to sort them first, as I'd have stalled right there. I still have the cupboards to go, but am determined to have them cleared by tonight, so I can fill them again with a more permanent and 'curated' selection of junk.

I've found this https://anglodoorstepcollections.co.uk. They will come here on 15 Feb, and the middle of the month after that, so I think I'll aim for getting a lot of bags and boxes ready for then, and commit myself to having at least one lot to go every month. It will mean having bags lying about at first, but just for three weeks or so, and the payoff will be worth it. Does anyone know of any just impediments to that plan, please? I've never heard of them before today.
Last edited by Morganna on Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Well done, Squirrel and Morgs!

The doorstep collection looks like a great service.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

There's also Donate Clothes who pick up bags from you. I haven't used them (yet) but I think Livilla originally suggested them.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I don't know about that service, but it certainly sounds like a good motivator.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Omg! I just started to list things on Vinted, I listed the first item, got the second one out to take photographs and when I picked up my phone the first thing had already sold!

I will definitely list the rest now, that’s very motivating.

Morgs that sounds good to me. I took a bag to the charity shop today and put another bag in the clothes recycling bank.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

You're doing well, Squizz. What did you sell?

I should look at Vimted, but I think that the pressure of having to pack things up and take them to the PO would put me off even more. I need to get to the point where I'm not overwhelmed, so I'm going to book the collection and try to get as many bags as possible to give away by 15 Feb, then if it works smoothly book for March and April too. That should shift a lot if I crack on, and I might drop it to less frequently over the summer when we're away a lot.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It was a shirt dress.

ETA: I meant to say that sounds like a solid plan, Morgs.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Thanks, Squizz. I've just thrown two massive files of handwritten notes from university in 1985 into the recycling :)). I didn't stop to read them, but glanced at the exam papers, as they were typed, and am pleased I'm not taking them now. Goodness knows why I kept them, but they must have been in 3 houses over the years. That's cleared quite a bit of space.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

can someone please tell me why I’ve packed and moved a drawer full of glass jars? I’ve got a whole box or more of glassware (wine glasses I don’t want) and vases that are going to be donated or recycled.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Because you told yourself at the time they would come in handy one day. But they haven’t so throw!

My efforts at the weekend have resulted in 4 smallish bags pof stuff that’s now in the bin and at least 4 bags to go to the charity shop here. Some of that is the two bags I mentioned when I started this thread.

But included in that bag is a matching pillow and duvet that I remember my parents buying from John Lewis when I was at Uni. It’s a very nice set but I genuinely haven’t used it for so long and it’s done several house moves. Time to go!
Last edited by Hazey_Jane on Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

It's madness, isn't it? Why I've hung onto notes about Chaucer and Henry James is equally mysterious.

Hazey's right though - bin them.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I’ve hung on to a chair (belonged to my grandmother, one of a set of eight, don’t know where the others are) through four house moves and there really isn’t room for it in this tiny house. It sits in a corner of the bedroom making it difficult to get to a chester ;) and it just gets stuff dumped on it.

I stubbed my toe on the bloody thing again yesterday so I decided it was time to say goodbye. I was going to put it on to the local no-waste group but that was a faff so I put it at the bottom of the driveway, reasoning I would bring it back in and list it online if it was still there after a couple of hours.

Ten minutes, and it was gone.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I do that a lot here Rosy, I once went to get an old vacuum cleaner back in a few minutes after I put it out as it started raining, but it had already gone :)). In fact I’ve never had anything not taken.

I’ve got a charity coming to collect a bedside table/small drawer thing on Thursday.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I wonder how people get to know that there is something available - do people just drive around looking for stuff?

N asked me if I was sad about the chair being gone and I thought I would be, but I’m not. I feel lighter, if that makes sense. Obviously it’s brought up memories of my mother & grandmother, and that’s difficult because of my mother being a hoarder, but I think/hope they would understand that I don’t have the space for it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

To slightly sound like Marie Kondo- it doesn’t come across as something that gave you joy. Life is too short and our houses too small.
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I listed a few pairs of Ruby Shoo shoes on Vinted and had a lot of interest and a couple of offers. I know I have priced them quite low but I stuck to my guns, refused the offers with an explanation and got what I wanted for them. Probably a reseller but I'm not bothered.

I saw something the other day about how the money that you buy things with is gone already so not to feel guilty or unhappy if you can't sell them for as much as you'd like or if you give things away. Which makes sense.

I have loads more things to list. If they haven't gone after 3 months, I will charity shop them.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've got some things to list. Are we thinking that vinted is better these days (as a seller)?
Malan
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I’m using Vinted for clothes for the first time, and sticking with FB marketplace for everything else. I’ve sold loads on FB and always done well on there. I price low as my primary aim is to get rid and any money made is a bonus. I don’t want things hanging around for ages once I’ve decided they can go.
Last edited by Squirrel on Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Thanks, Squirrel. My primary aim is to make money so I should probably do a compare and contrast on sold item prices between eBay and Vinted
Malan
Glint

Post by Glint »

Yes, I’d like to know if vinted is better than eBay for clothes - Ive some of S’s old things to list, but I never bought anything from vinted.