Reading Heart Liberals

Ismee

Re: Reading Heart Liberals

Post by Ismee »

I've just finished The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell, it was brilliant. Recently read Shrines of Gaiety by Kate Atkinson too, also very good.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

The new Jane Harper?! How exciting!

I really lost my reading mojo over Christmas and feel ashamed by the number of DNFs I had. Still Life was one of them, bizarrely.

The Apparition Phase by Will Maclean got me back into the groove. I've just finished Case Study by Graeme Macrae Burnet which was readable, but feels rather pointless.

Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman was great.

Exit by Belinda Bauer was both horrible and funny and above all readable. I do enjoy her stuff.

Things We Say in the Dark by Kirsty Logan and Fen by Daisy Johnson were 'supernatural-esque' stories; a little weak on the whole. Help the Witch by Tom Cox was similar, but better.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

The Homes - JB Mylet - a thriller set in a children's home on the outskirts of Glasgow in the 60's. It was a good page turner told from the perspective of a 12 year old.

Clubland: How the working men's club shaped Britain - Pete Brown. I loved this. Really interesting and I'd rather read this than kings and queens.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

They both sound interesting Duo.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

That Clubland books sounds really interesting and right up my friend's street so I'm going to make a mental note of it for her birthday!
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I'd like to read that, Duop. Years ago when I was hoping to be able to do a masters in History I wanted to study comedy in working men's clubs as a representation of social history.

I finished The Great Gatsby in time for book club tonight, I quite liked it.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

For anyone interested you can listen to an abridged version of clubland on bbc sounds

I'm now reading Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

On a recommendation from Mini I'll be reading Things fall apart straight after
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Things Fall Apart is brilliant.

I've just read the newish Richard Osman as my library reservation finally came through today. I'm hoping this gets my reading mojo back as I've just been doing internet scrolling and haven't read any books for weeks. Now I need something else!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I took so long to finish The School For Good Mothers! It was depressing as hell, but I liked reading it. I think I just couldn't read much at a time.

I'm now onto No One Left To Come Looking For You, by Sam Lipsyte. It's a dark comedy set in early 90s Manhattan. And I also have the new Grady Hendrix on its way, which I'm excited about - How To Sell A Haunted House.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm still reading Wolf Hall. I'm enjoying it but I keep almost falling asleep in bed during reading so it's taking a long time.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am desperate to re-read the Wolf Hall trilogy. I listened to The Mirror and the Light on BBC Sounds which was wonderful and reminded just how gifted Mantel was. Again. :cry:

I'm on Lily's Promise by Lily Ebert and Dov Forman (her grandson) about her time in Auschwitz. How people survived this is just astonishing.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I really want to read A Place of Greater Safety but I've been putting it off as I think it is going to be a real commitment.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

And I've just finished Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - overally I enjoyed it but it for me it started really strongly (had the feel of a Judy Blume for adults) and then tailed off by the end. There is a lot about making video games in it :))
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I've just finished Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty. It was written during the lockdown and is so very much more enjoyable (and less predictable) than Nine Perfect Strangers. I was going to pick it for my book club choice for March, but we've had at least two Liane Moriarty books before, so I'm looking for other possibilities. I'm wondering whether The School for Good Mothers might be a good fit for our group? ETA* Scratch that, there were only 3 copies available in the library system, so I might go with Things Fall Apart - based on recommendations here and there are plenty available in the system.

I've not got a good record for book choices. I once chose Frankenstein, thinking it a classic and very different from the horror film portrayals. Unfortunately, the local library let me down, handing out a children's 'abridged and illustrated' version to some members, while others got Mary Shelley's original! :lol:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I finished The Ink Black Heart. I thought the ending was rushed, the game chats were awful and some of the writing was genuinely poor but I'll keep reading for Cormoran and Robin, basically.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I cleared a couple of first reads, and a book by an author I like that I downloaded ages ago but never got round to.

How to Kill Your Best Friend - thriller set around the memorial of one of a group of friends.

Murder at the Hedgerow - a ‘cosy mystery’ :woteva:

We Begin at the End, Chris Whitaker - the one I actually wanted. Another US set thriller. Definitely the best of the three!
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I absolutely loved We Begin at the End. I gave it 5* which is v rare for me.

I’m reading Elly Griffiths - the Locked Room. It’s set during Covid which is slightly stressing me out.
Lola

Post by Lola »

I’ve just read Evidence of the Affair by Taylor Jenkins Reid. It was a Kindle Unlimited book & is a short story. Anyway, it was enjoyable to read :)
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I finished The Keeper of Lost Things yesterday. It was nice, but way less about the lost things than I’d expected.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Chicky wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:30 am I absolutely loved We Begin at the End. I gave it 5* which is v rare for me.
Did it make you want to go to Montana?