Theatre and other live performances

Turtle Bean

Re: Theatre and other live performances

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've just got tickets to see Hamilton in December. I am very excited.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

It is SO good Bean, I tried to get tickets for it in Edinburgh but it was sold out.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

We saw Lizzo at the 02 on Thursday. OMFG!!!! :hbeat: :hbeat: :hbeat:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I've been booking the odd thing here and there and realised I've actually got quite a lot it in the diary this year! You'll see how that went at the start of the thread. :look:

Theatre - The Shawshank Redemption soon and the Roger Allam one in July
Opera - a streaming of The Marriage of Figaro in May and La Boheme outdoors at The Bishop's Palace again in the summer.
Authors - a talk by Pragya Agarwal on Hysterical in May and then Brian Bilston in November
Bands - Fleetwood Bac in November, as well as the 90s dance hits band I saw last year with Shoe who are doing a joint thing with Dave Pearce in December. There's also a local festival on the Sunday of the August BH weekend.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Everything about Jamie last night and it was so good!

Sister Act booked for May.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Kleio wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:06 pm Everything about Jamie last night and it was so good!
I saw that when it first came out in the West End - really excellent. I think it is touring so will definitely look out for it at my local.

Last night I saw Home, I'm Darling at Richmond (West London). It was good but not great. Tomorrow I am going to the Menier Chocolate Factory to see Marjorie Prime.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

It was absolutely fantastic!

We’ve booked to see Sister Act next month too.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I saw Hamilton a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing. I’m going to see Six next month in Norwich - I’ve heard good things.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Tonight I saw Johannes Radebe at the Peacock Theatre with his Freedom Unleashed show. It was fantastic. I have always loved him as a dancer on Strictly and he does not disappoint here. His body is pure fluidity. He also speaks to us (the audience) about his rise to fame and seems truly grateful for everything and everyone who gave him a break. It is touring now and well worth a look if you want to have a feel good and fabulous experience.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Hamilton is booked for next May when it comes to Bristol. :perky: Cheap seats because that's how I roll, plus 3 tickets when I'm buying for the girls too adds up!

When I went to see The Shawshank Redemption with friends (I didn't report back - it was good), we had seats about three rows back from the stage. Which is lovely when I'm just buying for myself but ruinous for more than that.

I also enjoyed The Marriage of Figaro, but wouldn't go to that venue again. It was like watching it inside an old people's home. Continuous loud asides from one bloke to his companion (who did keep telling him to shush, as did the woman next to me and then me!), everybody complaining about how dark it was when coming into the small screening room, singing along and then people getting out their packed lunch/picnic at the interval, rather than eating it in the seating area outside. I've never seen anything like it. :lol:

Also, my friend and I had a good view and about 15 minutes in, a couple walked in late and took the seats directly in front of us. Which is just how it goes but we'd been lulled into a false sense of having a good view. I felt sorry for anybody behind me who had been similarly lulled, as the only way I could see the subtitles was to sit up super upright, peering over the chap's head!
Last edited by wendy james on Sun May 14, 2023 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I have been playing the basket dance with a ticket for Hamilton this morning but haven't clicked through yet as I don't know if I want to stump up c.£100 to go and see something by myself.
sally maclennane

I went to see Hamilton alone, we were in London and J was working, although there's very little chance he'd have gone even if he wasn't working :lol: I absolutely loved it and would happily pay to see it again, even on my own.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I noticed the tickets were slightly cheaper earlier in the week, if that helps at all.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Thanks, I’ve now booked for a Thursday night, middle of first row of Grand Circle, for cheaper than the mid-Stalls seat I was previously considering.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I saw Lenny Henry at the Bush Theatre today in August in England about the Windrush scandal. He was superb. It was heartbreaking and I cried.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Theatre has got so expensive! I've booked to see Guys & Dolls at the Bridge Theatre in half term and then My Neighbour Totoro at the Barbican for Christmas for all of us and, honestly, we could go on holiday for the price. Both are supposed to be brilliant - but the cost does mean that we are unlikely to go to anything else this year - which is a shame for the smaller productions.
sally maclennane

I would love to see Guys and Dolls, it looks fab.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Sproglette wanted to see An Inspector Calls and I could only get us bench seats, which weren't that bad at all. I hadn't realised it's a GCSE text so the place was full of school trips, so we didn't get a better seat on the day but we saw well enough for £22 for the two of us.

I've recently booked a few more tickets as the theatre's brochure came in the post. Oliver! for the 4 of us (family ticket), Blue Beard (from Emma Rice's - formerly of Kneehigh Theatre - company) - for me and the girls (reduced tickets for under 25s, hurrah!) and The Woman in Black for me and Sproglette (bench seats again :lol: ).
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

The MSE newsletter reminded me of Kids Week and as it’s my MIL’s bday when we visit in August, we’ve booked tickets for the 5 of us for Grease. The girls will probably be more thrilled than her. :lol:
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

We saw The Motive and the Cue with Mark Gatiss at the National on Friday. Bloody brilliant. He completely was John Gielgud and Johnny Flynn was pretty impressive as Richard Burton too.