Turtle vibes for Foggy, please

Duophonic

Re: Turtle vibes for Foggy, please

Post by Duophonic »

Could you get those smelly fish pastes that cats love. Liki lix or something they're called.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Duophonic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:10 pm Could you get those smelly fish pastes that cats love. Liki lix or something they're called.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've not seen them, but I haven't looked.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Chicken might be more appealing than fish, dregs was poorly once and flat refused the white fish we gave her, but hammered through the chicken.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Cats are obsessed with lickelix in my experience.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Loki went wild for lickelix (or however it’s spelled) even when he wouldn’t eat anything else.

I hope Foggy is back to normal soon, it’s so hard to see them under the weather.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Foggy barely ate yesterday, so I took a risk and gave him a dose of Mirataz, a transdermal 'pommade' cream that you apply to the inside of the ear. Our French vet prescribed it last summer, when both cats stopped eating and drinking due to heat stroke, last summer. Looking up the active ingredient, mirtazapine, it's an anti-depressant, but it worked like a charm with the heat stroke and they started eating and drinking again very quickly after the first dose.

The medication was still in date, so I thought it worth a try. Again, it seems to have worked like a charm. Foggy has just consumed his first full portion of his usual raw food mix since before his op. I'm not counting my chickens, as it's still early days and his appetite might vary, but I'm optimistic. :fc:
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Mirtazapine is renowned for making humans so so hungry, so it's a good choice!
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I hope he perks up soon but him eating his dinner is a good sign.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

baargain wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 pm Mirtazapine is renowned for making humans so so hungry, so it's a good choice!
It's amazing. I've only given one dose, yesterday evening, but Foggy seems to be ravenous and right back to his greedy old self, hoovering up anything that Tiggy leaves! :))

I've found that the onesie doesn't quite cover the operation scar and, luckily, noticed Foggy having a bit of a chew of the exposed stitches. So, he's now wearing the cone of shame. :( I've left the onesie on, as he got cold last night without it and slept on my head. :lol:
Little My

Post by Little My »

Glad he's eating! That's great news.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I’m glad Foggy is eating again, that’s really good news.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

That's a positive sign that he's eating, hope the cobe if shame can come off soon. I do love the pictures of Foggy in his onesie,. It's so cute
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Our regular vet, a lovely Dutch woman, called this morning to check how Foggy was doing. I told her about the anti-depressant cream and she knew immediately what it was. She said that, up until recently, the vet version hadn't been available in Ireland. Anyway, she approved.

I'm still very nervy about the whole thing. I felt quite sick in the night. My own stomach seems to have come out in sympathy. :))
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread. Poor old Foggy spent 3 weeks in our usual UK cattery, while R and I emptied mum's house and flew off for a week's golf in Portugal. As usual, he shared a pen with Tiggy. I did warn the cattery lady that, given half a chance, Tiggy would snaffle Foggy's food, and she said she would make sure he was eating before leaving them to it, but that she couldn't hang around and 'police' their meals.

Anyway, when we picked them up last Friday, Foggy had clearly lost a lot of weight. The reason for the weight loss is pretty easily explained by the photo below. :lol: The cattery lady was also concerned about the amount he was drinking. She wondered whether, given his age, he might be developing kidney issues. So, as soon as I got them both home, I booked him in for bloods.

Poor wee Foggy. He's really had a rotten time of it recently. First, spending 3 weeks in a hot cattery. (They're very good there. Cattery lady did move them to a cooler pen, when she first noticed the excessive water consumption.) Then the long car journey home. (No one was sick, this time.) And then the vet visit and sedation for bloods.

Foggy's liver, kidney and glucose indicators all came back normal (which is great in a 16-year old cat), but he is slightly anaemic. His white blood cell count is normal, but he is producing new red blood cells, which could be a sign of some sort of internal blood loss - particularly given the major surgery in March - but is more likely a result of not eating. So, last night, the vet had me gather urine and poo samples. I had to separate the two cats and use a tiny pack of non-absorbent, silicone 'litter', in a clean tray that Tiggy didn't have access to. So, Foggy and I slept on the sofa bed in the living room, while Tiggy and R slept in the bedroom!

Once Foggy had done a little wee, all I had to do was use the supplied pipette to syphon up the urine, fill the supplied test tube, and throw out the silicon litter. It was quite clear, even to my non-expert eye, that there was no blood in it. But this has since, been confirmed by the vet. I think the poo is pretty healthy too, but haven't heard back yet.

The vet reckons the water drinking is a sign of stress and may ease up now Foggy's home.All the other signs are good. We just need to get him eating. Turtle vibes will help. :))

The real reason Foggy is underweight ... Even the vet laughed when she saw this photo. Poor Foggy. :cry:
the-real-reason-foggy-is-thin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Look at that chunk! Poor Foggy. Definitely separate them to feed if you can!
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

Poor Foggy; lots of treats for him I think!