Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Morganna

Re: Counteracting the clutter in 2023

Post by Morganna »

I had a bag ready to go to the charity collection people but they didn't show up :verm:. It has a leather briefcase, a Helly Hansen coat, some boots and a Sofaworks sloth in it, all of which I could be tempted to keep 'just in case', but it can go to a shop at some point, as we are going over to the Lakes tomorrow, so my decluttering will grind to a halt for a week or so - I don't have a lot of clutter there.

I think we could probably bin the masks, LM. Maybe hang onto a couple of reusable ones just in case, but I'm working on the assumption that the vaccines have seen off the need for millions of disposable ones :fc:
Starry

Post by Starry »

Another bag of toys is gone from the playroom for charity/local crèche, and a bag gone to be recycled/binned.

It feels like I’m rolling a boulder up a hill though. H’s birthday is in six weeks.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Ah- throw out toys only to have them replaced.

I’ve binned my cloth masks but still have some FFP2 masks as medical services here still prefer that you wear them to appointments, I’ll wear one tomorrow to my Physio session.

IKEA buy back used furniture. When I moved here I bought a Pinnig coat and shoe stand and have never liked it. It’s now on its merry way back to IKEA and I should get some bonus cash for it too which is always good. A few other things have been binned and I’ve started another bag for clothes which has an old swimming cossie that might reveal too much if I wear it again and I think it will be joined by some sports bras very shortly. With the upcoming move, getting rid of stuff that just isn’t needed feels super good.

Need to start selling on Vinted too
Little My

Post by Little My »

Ikea do that here now as well.

I ditched the cloth masks entirely, and kept the disposable ones in the end.

Tomorrow is bin day, and I'm playing a little game with myself. The day before bins go out I declutter the corresponding number of items to the date. So 23 went out today. I thought it would be harder, to be honest. I seem to be getting a bit more ruthless now. (Obviously some things go in the donation box, but quite often it's rubbish/recycling.)
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

This has been a reasonably productive week. A box and 2 bags to charity today plus selling a blind at the weekend.

I saw an appeal for wedding dresses from a local charity the other day so that’s the next thing to sort out. I do want to try it on again before I get rid though. I just can’t remember if that’s something I will need help with :lol:
Lola

Post by Lola »

That’s a great idea, Little My!
Little My

Post by Little My »

If I ever hit the first of the month, it will have to be something big that goes out. :))
Lola

Post by Lola »

:))
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

I like that idea, LM!
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

My offer is paltry by comparison, but I am at the Lakes, so there is less to work with. I had to sort out the insurance, so went through a box file of paperwork and have a pile of it for the bin. It's instruction leaflets and guarantees going back years.

I also bought a new vacuum cleaner (small light and cordless) which is much better for a small area, so have the old one on the site FB page in case anyone wants it. If there are no takers by Sunday it will go to the tip.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I have arranged donating my wedding dress to a local charity shop which has a bridal/formal section. I’m pleased as it’s Sue Ryder which was one of the charities named for donations in lieu of flowers at my friend’s funeral last year. Still don’t know what to do with my mum’s dress but I did contact Bath fashion museum on the off chance they’d be interested.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Still playing my decluttering game. Today I needed to get rid of 27 things, so I started pulling out old, stored clothing. I've stopped counting! Two garbage bags filled so far, and I've inspired my daughter to go through her clothes. I will drop them off after the school run later.

All the winter stuff is getting packed away while I'm at it.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I am still sorting boxes but I can see the floor again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Oh well done Tex! That makes quite a difference! My decluttering has gone up a few gears because my mum has gifted me a cleaner. My mum noticed I was drowning a bit - trying to declutter whilst simultaneously keeping the house clean and trying to keep all the males in my household from recluttering! So she told me I needed to interview cleaners, find one I liked and she will pay for her to come for 3 hours a week. Now for the last 3 weeks I have had Hanny, a 6'2" blonde who is utterly amazing and pretty ruthless! She started with J2 and N's bedrooms and left no stone unturned. Every book, every knickknack was moved, cleaned and put away in sight. As a result, lots of stuff came into view that we'd forgotten about and it all went to the tip/recycling/FB marketplace. She did the other bedrooms and bathroom the next week and last week she tackled the playroom and downstairs loo. As she works, she gives me tips and suggestions and she is involved with a charity who are very happy with clothes, toys, toiletries, food so I can offload a lot of stuff on her. This was exactly what I needed!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I need a Hanny!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

She sounds amazing!
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

She sounds like a dream come true!

I have some bags of clothes that need to go out along with books and CDs that are not going to make the next, imminent move.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Apparently there are a growing number of 'community cupboards' (in which you can put food, clothing, toiletries, toys etc) because of the Ukrainian refugees. So for all of us decluttering, please don't forget to use these!

And yes, I feel truly blessed with Hanny! I also dread her coming a bit because I know I'll have a lot of sorting to do once she's been. But, it's a good kick up the backside.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

As part of my move, I get a 30 cubic meter container to ship my stuff in to my next apartment (whenever and wherever I find one) and I did an online survey a couple of weeks ago and the guy has estimated I have 31 cubic meters of stuff. This was an excellent motivation to spend time in my cellar sorting out crap down there into piles for the tip, to donate to the charity shop and even found some stuff that could be slung straight in the bin which I did.

I also have 4 bags (and counting) of clothes, towels, books, cds and kitchen stuff in my apartment to go to charity as well.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Oooh, good motivator Hazey! I almost want to move house just for the forced decluttering...