IWLTS it is 2023

Topcat

Re: IWLTS it is 2023

Post by Topcat »

Is it from Royalty?
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Epponnee Rae wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:44 pm Do you know the Duchess of Sussex? :look:
I couldn't possibly comment :look:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Disco

Post by Disco »

My friend was really insulted when she was given an unbranded bright cerise coloured gin in a glass ankle boot bottle that WAS engraved with her name so she couldn't regift it. :mog:
Little My

Post by Little My »

Alcohol must be one of the most re-gifted things? I wouldn't drink gin.

I do find it really odd that people would go to the effort to personalize it though. (Royalty can definitely get a free pass. :)) )
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's rubbish but also weird to get it personalised. Are you supposed to keep the bottle forever if you're not passing it onto Sal?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Disco wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:46 pm My friend was really insulted when she was given an unbranded bright cerise coloured gin in a glass ankle boot bottle that WAS engraved with her name so she couldn't regift it. :mog:
Snort :lol:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I have so many things from the past few weeks that I’ve started something in my notes app. But the main takeaway from this weekend is:

Your clear lack of self esteem shouldn’t impact upon mine.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

IWLTS oh! That’s both a complete surprise and completely not.
Little My

Post by Little My »

IWLTS: I'm not a human bloody alarm clock.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

What time is it, LM?

I want an engraved gin bottle for my mum. Her ungracious way of accepting presents is well documented on here, but I swear she’s getting worse. My sister and I now take turns to do the necessary and get something between us, to spread the danger a bit. On my last turn I got a jigsaw of garden birds, as she’d gone on about how she and Eric used to enjoy doing them. She was appalled, asked what had made me get that - she hated jigsaws, wasn’t interested in birds (contrary to what she has said several times over the years) and had nowhere to leave one because of the cat. Luckily I had also got her some Chanel No 5, which she’s always worn and hasn’t gone off. Mother’s Day was L’s turn, and she got an Estée Lauder lipstick in the shade mum likes. Or so we thought. Apparently she’s never liked that colour, wonders why we chose it, and why had L posted it, as the four quid postage must have cost more than the present. It was £25! I despair. She either regifts things that we’ve agonised over, or complains. I wouldn’t mind, but she got a 21st ‘key of the door’ for my eldest niece, claiming to have had to visit several shops to find one. It had ‘happy birthday Vanessa’ on a tag in the box. Her name is Lyndsey. An engraved gin bottle would put paid to her regifting :))
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

My mum gets a card and flowers. I got fed up of buying her things that she said she liked them complained about. I do know she doesn't like the cards I buy as there's no gushing verse in them but that shit ain't happening. A simple Happy Birthday suffices, thank you very much.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

God my mum loves a soppy card! They're not my thing at all but she loves something with a long verse!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My nanna loved a soppy verse. I’d just buy one without looking at it. Then she’d all, oh, it’s so lovely! And I’d be like, yeah. :)

My aunt has started complaining (to my mum) about the flowers I buy for her birthday. She never knows what to do with them, apparently. Given I’m the only nibling that bothers and 9 times out of ten one of my siblings forgets to bung me the money back, I might not bother again. She’s so generous to us though, I wanted to give something back.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

My mum has always loved a card with “nice words”. She must have spent hours in card shops rejecting card after card with the perfect picture because it didn’t have a mass produced poem printed in it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Yes, mine likes a flowery verse too. It's one of the few things I can't go far wrong with.

The gift rejection is such hard work. I used to be able to laugh it off, but it's really not funny, and I'm not sure it's age - she's always been that way. she used to dress it up a bit more tactfully, but I can't remember a present I've bought her that she's liked.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:56 am My nanna loved a soppy verse. I’d just buy one without looking at it. Then she’d all, oh, it’s so lovely! And I’d be like, yeah. :)
:lol: I really need to start doing this. My mum loves a sentimental card, and I spend far too long choosing something gushy but reasonably realistic. :))
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

Yeah, the gushy but totally unrealistic verses are what led me to pick a more simple version :))
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Whereas I think there’s absolutely a market for generic polite cards for family members you aren’t that keen on but want to show willing :look:

It is so hard to find a Mother’s Day or birthday card that isn’t full of tripe about how amazing they are. :lol:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Ingratitude really yanks my crank. Just give a voucher next time Morgs.

IWLTS You are a pathetic c**t and you will get nothing from me but the bare minimum in future.
I was asked to set up a logon to a booking account for someone and I did. The bloke in charge decided I'd set it up with the wrong account (despite this being the logical one to set it up with and me receiving no information whatsoever) but rather than actually tell us this he just closed the account so we spent days trying to figure out why we couldn't get in, contacting the booking company asking for advice, etc. When I found out that he'd just closed it but not bothered telling us I was so angry I nearly cried. What a fucking stupid thing to do. He's a bit of an arse as everything is 'urgent', 'critical', etc but also "not his job" so I have little time for him anyway but this was the last straw. He complained to my boss about it that night and I sent him a polite but very firm email in response putting him in his place and pointing out that asking us to do something which is "urgent" then removing our ability to do it but not telling us is somewhat counter-productive so if they decide to do that again please have the courtesy to let us know. But I really want to call him a c***t.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Morgs! Buy her something you really like and then when she rejects it, say “oh well you won’t mind if I have it then” :))