Minor pet queries

Little My

Minor pet queries

Post by Little My »

This is such a tiny thing that I didn't want to start a dedicated thread, so I thought maybe others have little nagging questions they need answered about their pets - so please feel free to add your own.

How do you get dog hair out of wool blankets? I can't use a lint roller, as it will instantly pill the fabric.
Zoomer

Re: Minor pet queries

Post by Zoomer »

I've got a wool coat that I've been trying to get dog hair out of for years. I haven't succeeded. Sorry.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

I bought some Pet Hair dissolver from amazon a while ago and it goes into the washing machine with it.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Thanks, I had never heard of pet hair dissolver! A brief google suggests that not only is it septic tank safe, it might actually be good for clearing hair out of the washing machine as well. Not bad!

But I'm not convinced it will work with a wool blanket on a delicate cycle.
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

No, I'm not convinced either. But I'm reasonably sure that you can use it to soak something in a bucket.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:37 pm I bought some Pet Hair dissolver from amazon a while ago and it goes into the washing machine with it.
I have never heard of this before but will definitely check it out.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’m not sure about the hair, sorry!

I have a question about eyes - Nero has an eye thing, he looks like he has a little balloon/bubble in the corner of one eye and it is quite gunky. Is it a vet job or should I just bathe for a few days and see if it improves? He’s fine in himself - eating, running about etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I'd definitely get that checked if it's gunky. You wouldn't want it to cause a wider infection.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Disco

Post by Disco »

I agree, if no improvement tomorrow. I think with any infections in the head - close to the brain - they should be checked out.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I ended up ringing the vet and taking him in earlier today. She’s not sure what it is, possibly an infected scratch so she’s given me some antibiotic cream for his eye and says they’ll take a closer look if needed next week when he’s in having his bits removed as they can poke about while he’s under the anaesthetic. He’s fine in himself anyway so hopefully it’s nothing untoward. He was such a good boy at the vet too. He sat there peacefully while she was poking and prodding and then he let me put cream on his eye with no complaints :love:
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

What a good boy! Our Pépito has a red flag next ti his name at the Vet's. When we take him in the vet gets kitted out in full on lion taming gear
Luna

Post by Luna »

Have you got Isathal Chicky?
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Luna wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:59 am Have you got Isathal Chicky?
Yes that’s the one. His eye is a bit better today I think so hopefully it’s working.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Aw, what a good boy! :love:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Cosmopolitan wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:37 pm I bought some Pet Hair dissolver from amazon a while ago and it goes into the washing machine with it.
I am currently using this on Rosco's car mat. It is on a very hot cycle though and I'm a bit scared the mat will fall apart.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Cosmopolitan

Post by Cosmopolitan »

Oooh risky but probably a good idea. Let us know how it goes. It worked really well on blankets though.

I have a carpet car mat which I just hoover, it seems to work better than anything else I've tried if that helps.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It survived! And the Vamoosh really did the trick. I am very impressed, especially as Schnook is a serial moulteser.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I have another minor query. Nero has been really lethargic recently. He’s usually out for 6+ hours a day but yesterday he went out for a couple of hours and then came back in and went to sleep for the rest of the day. He then slept all night, and then this morning again went out for about half an hour before coming back and putting himself to bed. His average activity per day last week was over 400 minutes, yesterday was 160 and today has been 16 minutes.

He’s eating ok (but not seeking out food like he usually does, he’ll just eat it if you put it in front of him), he’s drinking water and seems to be using the litter tray fine as well, he’s just really really sleepy. I’m not sure whether to keep an eye on him and just make sure he eats and drinks, or whether to take him to the vet.

The side note is that I’m slightly worried the vet will think I’m a bit neurotic/munchausens since I took Cracker the other week as he was also under the weather (he was sick a few times and had lost weight) and when we got to the vet he was running around like the picture of health :look:

Is two days of lethargy worth a vet visit?
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I'd always suggest a vet trip if you're worried but what sort of temperature is it where you are? Has the temp increased over that period of time?

Is he due another growth spurt?

Eric is a sun worshipper so he's out all the time (normally on next door's patio) when it's warm and sunny and indoors most of the day in autumn/winter.

Remember that they're meant to be crepuscular so most active at dawn/dusk.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

I think I'd give him a couple more days of observation, as long as he's eating okay. Cats do have minor illnesses that don't require intervention, and as Duop says the weather can also affect them. If he stops eating / drinking then I would take him for a once over.