Northumberland

wendy james

Northumberland

Post by wendy james »

I think the last thread was 2012, and I did a thread back in 2010 so no harm in doing a new one. :mrgreen:

I've just booked flights to Newcastle for me and the girls in October half term. They've never been to that part of the world, whereas I used to go up from Leeds to the NE fairly regularly.

They are fans of Vera and I think they'd like a boat tour, so we're booked on boat trip to Lindisfarne from Seahouses. Elvis loves a castle ruins so Dunstanburgh is on the list. We are NT members but not currently English Heritage. None of us care about Harry Potter but do like vegan food.

We land early Monday morning and fly back late Wednesday evening (the boat trip is Tuesday). I realise I'll have to hire a car to get around and haven't yet decided on B&B or Airbnb for the couple of nights nor whether it's 2 nights in one location or we move around.

Any thoughts on a base or route if we travel? Recommendations for things to do?
Chicky

Re: Northumberland

Post by Chicky »

Last edited by Chicky on Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Alnmouth has featured on Vera and would be a good base. It has a lovely beach and if you can't get a boat trip because of the weather it is handy for driving over the crossway to Holy Island, which you can see from the beach. It also has a train station, which may be useful, particularly if you are planning to go into Newcastle.

Alnwick castle (a couple of miles from Alnmouth) is a good day out, as you can go round the castle and the gardens on one (pricey) ticket and between them they would easily fill a day. During school holidays it does tend to go full-on HP though, so you might want to check first. Warkworth Castle is a ruin, and is lovely. Warkworth Village has lovely cafes which would cater for vegans. Check if there are still trips over the river to the Hermitage, which is also worth a visit. There used to be a man with a boat who took you across, and you can see where Harry Percy was christened and a cave that was lived in by a hermit for year. It's EH, so free if you are a member

If you go into Newcastle, definitely go to the Great North Museum (on the outskirts of the city centre next to the University, and also free). Again, you can spend ages in there - it's really good, and you're in the city for food and possible shopping afterwards. You can get a Metro from Central Station to Haymarket and it's a five minute walk from there. There are trips up and down the Tyne too - one industrial one looking at disused shipyards, which might not be your thing :)), and another going the other way to spot otters and things. Tourist Information will give you a timetable. If you want to do that, the trips leave from Quayside, and you could leave the Museum, cross the road to Haymarket bus station and get a Quaylink bus from the first stand you come to. That will put you off on Quayside, which has access to the Baltic Art Gallery, or you could cross the Millennium Bridge and go to the Sage (a music venue). Both free entry, although there may be a charge for some exhibitions in the Baltic.

If none of that appeals, or if you have more specific questions, just shout.

ETA Cross posted with Chicky, but agree with her suggestions too. Apart from the Farne Islands, which I loathe, as they stink and you are guaranteed to get birdpoo on your head.
Last edited by Morganna on Wed May 17, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Thanks both, I shall do some browsing! Your friend is already booked up Chicky. :mrgreen:
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh, and I forgot Bamburgh Castle! That is fabulous, and reputedly where Lancelot and Guinevere ran away to. You could do Bamburgh and Warkworth in one (busy) day.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I was going to suggest Bamburgh, which I only know from letching over Uhtred in The Last Kingdom.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

I mean, come on now. Very pretty scenery.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

I found a vegan B&B in Berwick but they want LOTS of money because it would be an apartment with 2 rooms (rather than a family room). I've booked a nice Airbnb in Amble instead, so thanks for the suggestion!

I'm also contemplating a few long bus rides along the coastline rather than hiring a car, to add to the experience. :look: The current timetable runs out in August though, so I'll check nearer the time. The downside is the late flight home Wednesday but I reckon an afternoon in Newcastle, followed by a pizza dinner before heading to the airport will keep them happy.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Sounds like some excellent plans!

There is a nice pizza restaurant opposite the train station - it’s called Central oven or something like that. Then it’s a short hop on to the metro to the airport.
mischief

Post by mischief »

My parents are in Northumberland this week and it looks like they are having the best time. It's their first holiday for 4 years because of the pandemic and then my stepdad having cancer treatment. I have attached some of the photos they have sent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mischief

Post by mischief »

My parents are in Northumberland this week and it looks like they are having the best time. It's their first holiday for 4 years because of the pandemic and then my stepdad having cancer treatmen. Edited to add some photos they have sent
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I don't know if your girls are too old for playgrounds, but there is a new one opening tomorrow at Alnwick Castle with the biggest play structure in the world.
https://www.lilidoreialnwick.co.uk]

I think you have to book, but I thought I'd mention it in case it looks like something they'd like.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

wendy james wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:22 am I'm also contemplating a few long bus rides along the coastline rather than hiring a car, to add to the experience. :look: The current timetable runs out in August though, so I'll check nearer the time.
I’ve accepted that public transport is not the answer and will hire a car. It will definitely give us lots more castle viewing options!

Also, my friend in Whitley Bay doesn’t work Wednesdays so we can stop off for a visit on our way back. I don’t think I’ve seen her since I was on mat leave with Elvis!
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

So as FB friends will have seen, we did quite a lot but also not enough. It really wasn’t a long enough trip!

On the first day, we went south for the Angel of the North (for Sproglette) then west to Hatwhistle for lunch (for me, ancestry reasons) then headed back east to join the road north to Amble, stopping at a section of Hadrians Wall (for Elvis).

Tuesday was full on, with a wander round Seahouses before the boat trip to Lindisfarne, where we spent a couple of hours. The boat then headed back via the Farne Islands so we saw lots of grey seals.

We stopped off Craster to walk to Dunstanburgh Castle but missed the last entrance so it was just the walk and some views. We passed Warkworth and Bamburgh castles that day too.

Whitley Bay was cancelled so we had another mooch around Amble then headed to Ryhope (unlikely to be on anybody else’s list - it was for family/ancestry reasons), which took us via the Tyne Tunnel. Then back to Newcastle, though the girls were a bit attraction-ed out by then so we just wandered, popped into a couple of shops (including Fenwicks, obvs) and ate pizza.

Now I have to plan the Shetlands trip. :lol:
Luna

Post by Luna »

It sounds fab and that area is on my wish list for a visit. My mum went on an old biddy coach tour thing earlier this year and loved it all.