Decorating bedrooms

Morganna

Decorating bedrooms

Post by Morganna »

Are all your bedrooms the same colour, assuming they aren't decorated for children?

I'm going to get mine done in the autumn, and am starting to think about colours. I had the stairs and landing done last year in a quite bright green, but that's pretty much the only consideration. I don't want that colour in the bedrooms, but nor do I want a clash. There are four bedrooms, but I might convert the little one into an office - I haven't decided on that yet, as I'm not sure that I'll use it these days - if I want peace to work I usually go to the caravan as I work over the summer. Anyway. They will all need new carpet, and the one on the landing is neutral/beige, so if it's still on sale I might go for that throughout. At present the rooms are all different colours on the walls and floors, as they haven't been done since J and S had them. I'm not bothered about things like curtains or bedding, as I'll replace those while I'm about it.

All thoughts appreciated, please?
bramblerose

Re: Decorating bedrooms

Post by bramblerose »

I am currently in the process!

None of mine will be the same. The base is white so white emulsion and woodwork. Two bedrooms will have a neutral grey carpet. The other has laminate.

I have a "feature" wall in one room (paper on the wall behind the bed head). The other room will be the same but a different paper and I have a greeny grey paint to go on one wall in the middle room again, the wall behind the bed head.

It's all quite boring but it will be bright :))
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I shall watch your progress with interest :)).

What used to be S's room has laminate, which I might leave as is. I'm not really keen on hard floors upstairs for noise reasons, but as there are just two of us it's far less of an issue. The others all have old carpets that need replacing, and I think I'll get blinds for upstairs to match the ones I have in the sitting room. Otherwise I have no idea, really.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I like the same flooring throughout really. Whatever that is (I don't have that due to not having dealt with it yet)

Then walls are not so important to match I think if the floors match. My last flat was Timeless in every room. It made repainting and retouching a breeze.
Malan
Tsu

Post by Tsu »

We were renting when we bought our house so I decided to decorate and lay flooring before we moved in. The flooring bit went awry because of lockdown but I had the entire house (apart from the wall behind the bed which is F&B Scotch blue) painted the same colour (Dulux Swansdown) with the intention of living with it for a while before I decided to change the colours. As it turns out, the thought of emptying any rooms to decorate doesn't fill me with joy so I'm using soft furnishings for colour.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

No, I'm dreading the sorting and clearing bit. The decorator is going to help me to declutter and sort things, which is a massive relief, as I'm so crap at decluttering, and she knows what she can work around. We've become friends since she did downstairs, so I thought I had nothing to lose by asking her if she could add a couple of days to her estimate and help, and she was happy to. If it's all done by Christmas I'll be delighted - I don't want it happening over the summer, as I want to be able to go away when I feel like it.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Everywhere in this house is in Strong White by F&B apart from the main bedroom which has one wall painted in denim drift and husbands man cave has one wall painted a dodgy green colour. All the woodwork is white.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I'm inclining towards doing them all the same colour on the walls, and maybe ringing the changes with bedding and curtains. I see what you mean about retouching, Marth, and it might save a bit of money on the paint in the first place if there is less wastage. After the debacle with the Valspar stuff I'm definitely going with better paint this time.

If the carpet I used on the stairs and landing is still available when the time comes, I will continue with that, and think about whether to leave the laminate in S's old room. I might get a rug for that, but I might carpet it to match the rest. I could be persuaded either way, really. I'm looking forward to having it all done and doing the interesting bit of shopping for accessories to make it look nice. I still need to think about the kitchen, but that's a big job and I'd rather get upstairs done before downstairs starts to look shabby, so for a while at least I'll have a whole house of finished rooms, and do the kitchen later.
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

All the rooms in my house downstairs are in F&B Wevet this is in the same colour range as Stong White but doesn't have as much grey in it. The hallway being a different colour. All woodwork is white.

I find it best for economical reasons and that I'm useless with decorating so it's easier to change things up with cushions etc. I also find it helps my mind switch off. I love looking at design ideas but I wouldn't be able to switch off each day with strong colours in rooms that I spend the majority of my time in.

I am planning to decorate Mini's room this year (we haven't touched the rooms upstairs since we moved in 4yrs ago) and I'm planning on dark or bright colours something out of my comfort zone. Maybe F&B Rangwali with possibly Inchyera Blue or with the right deep green which I haven't decided on yet.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

This is timely as mine all need decorated. They haven't been touched since I moved in and are all a bit blah with neutral walls and carpet. The smallest bedroom has those horrible polystyrene tiles on the ceiling which need to be removed.

I've been saying for ages that I want a bigger bed, and it would make sense to get the room decorated at the same time. I'd like a strong green or blue, and a new carpet,as well as a new bed. The other double is a spare room but also my home office. It's really bland and could do with being redecorated. The 3rd is a single room which J uses as a home office.

In some ways it would make sense to get them all done at once, with all the upheaval at once but it could also be a nightmare. The alternative is to do our bedroom first, while we decamp into the larger spare room, and then do the other two at a later time.

It all needs to wait till I have the funds to do it anyway!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

There is loads of time to change my mind a hundred times (which I absolutely will do), but I'm quite liking this one:
Screenshot 2023-05-26 at 10.28.04.png
It's Oxford Stone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luna

Post by Luna »

That is a good neutral. It may paint darker than you think so tester pot is essential.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I really like that, Morgs. My bedroom’s a similar colour.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I like different flooring and different colours in every room. That's what I had in my last house. Here it's Timeless and the same whitish carpet throughout and I HATE it but also haven't yet been arsed to sort it. ;)
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.