Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Kenickie »

You are all very kind.

I can't believe people would say that to you, Marth! I think being a single parent is in a whole other league and I'm in awe of anyone who does it.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

:hug: Oh Ken
As he told her that he loved her she gazed into his eyes, wondering, as she noted the infestation of eyelash mites, the tiny deodicids burrowing into his follicles to eat the greasy sebum therein, each female laying up to 25 eggs in a single follicle, causing inflammation, whether the eyes are truly the windows of the soul; and, if so, his soul needed regrouting.

Brier

Post by Brier »

No, don't delete the post. That was a daft thing for that woman to say and your reaction to it was perfectly valid.

I agree with Cerise, don't just smile through it, tell her straight. A childfree woman at work yesterday said I should give Mr B a break for not pulling his weight around the house because he works full-time, and she got a good mouthful back about how much harder it is to work and then also care for 3 children on your own than to be at work and come home when the kids are already fed and changed and in bed. I was ANNOYED and justifiably so. She knows as much about being a working parent as your woman knows about having twins - sweet F.A - so should know better than to say things like that. Call it a teaching moment :lol:

Brier

Post by Brier »

Sorry, that became a bit of a rant of its own. :mrgreen:

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh that definitely deserves a rant! Similarly, my mum kept going on the other day about how amazing it is that P changes nappies, 'even when you're out.' :Ella:

I thought I should be also posting positive stuff, so I'm really pleased that we made it to six months. It feels like a good milestone, and that I can finally relax about SIDS. Although, when I googled to double check that, the first result read 'After six months it's very rare for a baby to die of SIDS. After that we see them dying from other types of sleep-related death like suffocation, or accidental suffocation and strangulation in bed.' :cheerup: :lol:

I'm also quite amazed that they made it this far just on my breast milk -I was very ambivalent about it while I was pregnant and assumed I'd have to formula or mixed feed. It's been really tough at times but I'm lucky that there's been no major issues so it's worked out as I think it's close to the stage where it becomes a nice thing and it definitely makes going out without a plan much much easier - I think otherwise trying to make sure I had enough formula for both would be another thing putting me off leaving the house.

They had food for the first time today. Topsy definitely got on better than Tim but I think he's more under the weather still so that could change. They both happily gnawed on cucumber though which was so sweet.

Their sleep is still terrible but they're still ill at the moment so I live in hope that one day they'll do decent stretches simultaneously. Maybe when they're teenagers I guess. ;)

How's everyone else doing?

Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh god, I cackled out loud at that sleep fact :lol: That is exactly the kind of reassurance I find when googling: the gift of more horrors you hadn’t even considered :bel:

I felt the same as you about six months, it’s definitely been what feels like our biggest and most important milestone so far, partly because of the changes that happen around it (solids, and for us moving Hop into her own room) but for me it was mostly the reflection on breastfeeding after so much time. My brain still boggles that you do it for both of them. I just rambled on for a bit but I’ve deleted it as I think you’ve summed it up really well and the more I wrote the more I seemed to be erring into lactivism which isn’t how I feel at all - just happy that the thing that worked for us best is the thing that worked for us best.

I need to go to sleep so I’ll come back but BRIER - how spectacularly stupid and rude of your colleague, I am DELIGHTED you set her straight.

Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I missed your previous post, Ken. But can only agree with everything everyone else has said, about how amazing you are.

Breastfeeding one to 6 months is a brilliant achievement, but breastfeeding two is just incredible and you should feel very proud.

I still can't believe how fast the last 6 months have gone.
We'll be weaning soon too. :bob:

Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I have a 6 month old too!

We haven't started weaning yet, but will start on Sunday. We thought we'd do a Sunday roast, so we can try him on a mix of roast veg and chicken, then see most of it go on the floor! :lol:

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's a really nice first meal! I tried them on some chicken the other day and Topsy absolutely loved it.

Congratulations on six months!

Luce

Post by Luce »

I'm not sure if this should go in this thread or in the home office setup one but luckily we'd ordered Theo a desk last week (for school-at-home reasons) and we've been decorating his room. Here he is at his new desk looking absolutely massive. And in desperate need of a haircut :lg:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Good lord, Luce! Where’s your baby?!

Luce

Post by Luce »

I don't think he actually looks that big in real life. He's still very much the baby.

purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

He looks a lot like you there. Is he in reception?

Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Theo is the same age as my S isn’t he? (Like a few months older than her? She is Nov 2013) He looks very grown up. Also I love his desk.

Beatrix

Post by Beatrix »

My tiny hatchling is not very tiny any more :cry:
E7A79D69-D26A-4338-B1D4-DB5561DAF173.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

She is lovely!

Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh look at her! She is very proud of her wellies. And Theo! I remember how exciting getting a desk was. I used to sit behind mine with my back to the wall sometimes and pretend I worked in an office. I hope his ambitions are significantly more thrilling :lol:

Luce

Post by Luce »

Wow, Beatrix, I think I thought she was still a baby! She's really lovely.

Yes, Purp, he's in year 1. He'll be 7 in September.

Leap, I got a desk for Christmas once and it remains one of my best Christmases! :lol: I used to bring it into the sitting room and writing my letters like a Victorian accountant or something.

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

She rocks that jacket!
As he told her that he loved her she gazed into his eyes, wondering, as she noted the infestation of eyelash mites, the tiny deodicids burrowing into his follicles to eat the greasy sebum therein, each female laying up to 25 eggs in a single follicle, causing inflammation, whether the eyes are truly the windows of the soul; and, if so, his soul needed regrouting.

cluefree

Post by cluefree »

She’s very sweet. I love her wellies!